Oil Filter Housing Size 2005 B5 Wagon TDI

Jetdavdub

TDI
Passat wagon TDI
Hello,

I've been searching for the right size cup wrench to fit this model. Apparently the 74mm 14 flute that was suggested to me did not work. The 74mm was loose, all it was going to do was tear up the plastic. I used the rubber strap type and it broke the straps. Someone went HeMan on it! :eek:

TIA

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Fold a sandpaper in half and put it over the filer housing. Then put the removal tool/cup on it and see if that helps.

Jetdavdub

TDI
Passat wagon TDI
Fold a sandpaper in half and put it over the filer housing. Then put the removal tool/cup on it and see if that helps.
you're serious aren't you? lol It looks so nice and clean right now I can only imagine what afterwards. I have a new cap coming from napa tomorrow for only $15.00 so actually that sounds like a good idea if it would fit and stop it from rotating loose

It seemed a lot smaller than 74mm, but I don't see a 72mm wrench or 70mm to try at any local parts stores.

Jetdavdub

TDI
Passat wagon TDI
yes yes, once again damage the housing but could work of course. I could use filter pliers or similar to your super manly He-Man pliers :D I guess we're moving in the right direction. Can anyone confirm the size of the housing? in mm and flute size? Is indeed supposed to be the 74mm 14 flute. Metalnerd has one which may work but it could also be the same as the one from big box store unless they can't mass produce the right size LMAO wouldn't surprise me at a store like autozone :D

Last edited:

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
I've used an old leather belt, tightened hard around the cap, to unscrew the cap and it has worked every time the last 14 years. I'm too cheap to buy a specific tool just for this one thing.:eek:

Jetdavdub

TDI
Passat wagon TDI
I've used an old leather belt, tightened hard around the cap, to unscrew the cap and it has worked every time the last 14 years. I'm too cheap to buy a specific tool just for this one thing.:eek:
I like that Idea.... way more durable than that rubber strap from a store. Thanks for the idea!

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
I have a Metalnerd one. Works great

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
I bought one from Advanced Auto, it was a little tight, I tapped it on and left it there, never came off, 8 bucks

Jetdavdub

TDI
Passat wagon TDI
75.6 mm from advance is a little loose but fits. Went with the sandpaper method. Works perfect, couldn't believe it. Thanks for the tips guys.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
75.6 mm from advance is a little loose but fits. Went with the sandpaper method. Works perfect, couldn't believe it. Thanks for the tips guys.
I'm glad it worked for you too.

CBM

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat
Mine sucks (is also loose), but I throw a folded red shop rag on top of the cap to take up the play, and it works ok. I got It from iDparts, whats the part number on yours?
Mine is from idparts as well. Model spec'd and doesn't fit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk