02M conversions and heat shields?

TDI4evah

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
Hi All;

I finally got the 02M installed with a rebuilt engine in my 2003 wagon. Putting things back together today, I found that the heat shield around the inner CV joint rubs a little on the CV joint itself. It doesn't appear to be rubbing on the rubber bellows, but I'd like it not to rub at all.

Is this common? Is there an 02M heat shield that's just a little bigger than stock?

Thanks!

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
Have a look at the little rings in the bolt holes of the shield. If they are loose in the holes then the shield will not sit right. I see this a lot and I usually let it slide on 02J joints but I had to buy a new shield for my GF's wagon swap when I put a 6 in it. Dang thing is like $75.

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
You can cock that heat shield around a little on the mounting bolts. Lower the heat shield on the passenger side bolt of the heat shield and raise the heat shield on the driver side bolt of the heat shield as much as possible and that should tilt it enought to clear it. On my Jetta, I have had to heat the shield with a torch just enough to bend it to clear the CV. Anyway for $75 bux, I'd try a little heat first. It worked for me.