Proud New Owner of a 2012 A3 TDI Premium Plus

millra

TDI
A3 2.0 TDI
Originally from Europe, albeit many moons ago, I have long been sold on the virtues of Diesel Turbo's. I've been equally dismayed at the lack of adoption of same in the US.
I finally broke down and traded my BMW Z4 for my new A3 TDI in Ibis White, Pano Roof,etc. Loaded. A 2012 Dealer Demo with 8k miles on the ODO, came with a 6 year 100k mile warranty :) I've read just about every thread and email in these Forums, and am candidly more than a little nervous at some of the horror stories of Gas in the wrong pump, huffing requirements etc.
Any first time advice thoroughly welcomed.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
.. am candidly more than a little nervous at some of the horror stories of Gas in the wrong pump, huffing requirements etc.
Any first time advice thoroughly welcomed.
Heed the warnings. The TDI is not your average gas 'n' go car ;)

Welcome aboard.

surfer

TDI
2012 A3 TDI
I too just picked up a 2012 Audi A3 tdi. I'm still driving on the dealers full tank and just found out about this recall now. When i look at the car it worries me.
Model year 2010-2012 manufactured from september 2009-september 2011 are at risk. Mine was manufactured in september 2011, Im thinking about calling VW (1800-822-8987) I would get whatever parts replaced now (on their dime) to avoid any future problems. Ill keep you posted once i talk to them.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2012/audi/a3/tdi_premium_hatchback/3404/recalls/

kgall

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Audi A-3
I too just picked up a 2012 Audi A3 tdi. I'm still driving on the dealers full tank and just found out about this recall now. When i look at the car it worries me.
Model year 2010-2012 manufactured from september 2009-september 2011 are at risk. Mine was manufactured in september 2011, Im thinking about calling VW (1800-822-8987) I would get whatever parts replaced now (on their dime) to avoid any future problems. Ill keep you posted once i talk to them.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2012/audi/a3/tdi_premium_hatchback/3404/recalls/
Yep. Remember to have your VIN number with you--that will probably be the key to knowing if it's included in the recall. If you bought it new from an Audi dealer, or bought it used at an Audi or VW dealer, you should be able to call them directly.
With any luck, it should have been fixed already, but I would sure check it out.

surfer

TDI
2012 A3 TDI
Gave VW a call and they said that its not a recall... its and a reminder to put diesel fuel in the car. They will send that to me in the mail. I checked with my VIN# on the Audi website it says: S-SERV_ACT-"Diesel Fuel Only" Information
Is there any other action i can take to confirm this?

Last edited:

kgall

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Audi A-3
Gave VW a call and they said that its not a recall... its and a reminder to put diesel fuel in the car. They will send that to me in the mail. I checked with my VIN# on the Audi website it says: S-SERV_ACT-"Diesel Fuel Only" Information
Is there any other action i can take to confirm this?
You will be getting stickers in the mail--like I did.
I say that if this is the only action that applies to your vin number, then you are OK.
Unless someone else on this list tells us that there are other things you need to check, I say you are OK.

Vin63

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A3
The only recent service bulletin that I can remember was the fuel line damper service (install dampers on the injector lines). Other than that there was a DSG program version update, but the 2012+ model years should already have that.

maroonfrog1

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A3 TDI S-Line 2011
Enjoy

My A3 TDI purchase story is a lot like yours. Local dealer called me and said he had a service loaner for sale. 20,000 miles and 18 months later, I am more and more convinced that I made the right choice. I track all of my fuel purchases in Fuelly, add 6 or 7 ounces of additive to every tank of diesel to increase the cetane rating, change the oil every 10,000 miles, and have a ball driving it!

Drove mine through the northwest Arkansas region a few weeks ago (Mount Magazine), with my wife on a long weekend, and she and I both remarked at how even with the blazing summer heat, it was perhaps the most fun driving in the country we've had in 20 years.

Enjoy!

rotts4u

Veteran Member
TDI
None
My A3 TDI purchase story is a lot like yours. Local dealer called me and said he had a service loaner for sale. 20,000 miles and 18 months later, I am more and more convinced that I made the right choice. I track all of my fuel purchases in Fuelly, add 6 or 7 ounces of additive to every tank of diesel to increase the cetane rating, change the oil every 10,000 miles, and have a ball driving it!

Drove mine through the northwest Arkansas region a few weeks ago (Mount Magazine), with my wife on a long weekend, and she and I both remarked at how even with the blazing summer heat, it was perhaps the most fun driving in the country we've had in 20 years.

Enjoy!
I am with Maroon here with out A3 TDI. My wife trader her BMW 135I for it and after 6500 miles we are both crazy over the A3 TDI. Fuel economy is great, and for the two of us the size is perfect and the hatch space is nice too. Washing it and waxing etc is SOoooo easy with the panoramic roof cause its mostly glass up top.

We really love this little thing and assuming reliability is good for the expected life we will be really happy.