problems with filling station pumps?

phreaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf hatchback (purchased used in December 2021 to replace the 2015 Sportwagen (purchased new in Sept. 2017) that I totalled. :( Former TDIs: 2006 Jetta sedan (FLOODED -- Thanks, Hurricane Harvey); 2009 JSW (FLOODED-- thanks, Hurricane Harvey!)
I generally take my 06 Jetta TDI to the same Shell station. That past two visits, I couldn't get either of the diesel pumps to start pumping. It's as if the venturi effect was engaging the shut-off just when I started squeezing the nozzle trigger. The clerk (same one both times) said no one else has had any problems. I ended up going to another station both times. Could there be something wonky inside my filler throat causing the nozzle to cut out?

ZeroCool

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW TDI
Is there any left-over fuel in the pump hose that could cause it to start/stop pumping?

Over here in NJ I have had sporadic issues with diesel pumping....

I found that for the diesel bank of pumps I need to always use the inside ones vs the ones facing the road as those have a large nozzle which causes issues with pumping on my jetta....

Some other times with people trying to 'top off' their cars... fuel can get caught up in the shrowd on the nozzle pump... if you pull up you would probably see a bunch of fuel come out which could also potentially cause your issue.

phreaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf hatchback (purchased used in December 2021 to replace the 2015 Sportwagen (purchased new in Sept. 2017) that I totalled. :( Former TDIs: 2006 Jetta sedan (FLOODED -- Thanks, Hurricane Harvey); 2009 JSW (FLOODED-- thanks, Hurricane Harvey!)
Zero, No, that ain't it. I'd used those pumps many times in the past.

edandemma

TDI
09 Jetta
pull the nozzle out about a half inch or so, (not out of the filler neck, but if you put the nozzle all the way in, then ease it back about a 1/2 inch.) I have this problem once in a while, easing back the nozzle cures it. Most likely what could be happening is just turbulent fuel exiting the nozzle splashes back and trips the shut off.