New diesel pumps at a refitted station

kduchow

TDI
2011 JSW TDI 6MT
The local station that is use for gasoline just went through almost a complete rebuild. Gutted the inside of the building and replaced all the pumps and the overhead canopy. I've use them for 6+ years for premium and regular gas on my Outback XT and before that 98 Outback.

One thing they did, that makes me pretty happy, is they added diesel pumps. I can tell they are already getting a good bit of diesel traffic in trucks and small buses, plus they are on a major road, so they should turn over the fuel pretty quickly.

Today I went in and asked what they did to be able to have diesel. She said they moved the premium gas to their extra mid grade tank (who buys mid grade anymore). Said they thoroughly cleaned the premium tank, and that is where the diesel is now.

My question is, how long should I wait before I start using diesel from there? I'd guess they did a decent job cleaning it out, but I doubt I want any of the first few batches of diesel they put in there.

TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
I always thought mid grade was just a combination of high/low grade.
There is 2 ways they do it. Either have there own tank for mid grade, or have a mixer in the bottom of he pump that mixes regular and premium.

My buddy owns a station and is in the process of doing this exact thing right now. I am probably going to wait about 3 weeks which will be about 10 semis full of diesel for his station before I use his diesel.

c17chief

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2dr
If it was truely thoroughly cleaned, it should be good right off the bat. If there was a few drops or small puddles of gas left in there, if they filled the tank completely, it should be so diluted that it would be a non issue for even our sensitive cars. That said, I would probably skip on being one of the first myself just because, but wouldnt have any qualms after the next truck load gets dropped in there.