'02 Glow plug harness replacement (56k warning!)

TractionAction

TDI
Had 2010 Jetta
Great write up and instructions....I've had my CEL going off now for 6-7 months showing #3 glow plug being an issue. I kept reading and clearing the CEL to make sure there were no other glow plug issues.

About 7 weeks ago I needed to change my battery and decided to check the glow plugs with an ohm meter. All checked within reasonable limits and all are good.

My CEL has not triggered since and the car runs great. I have a feeling the battery may have been the culprit. The old battery as it turns out was undersized, including under spec cranking amps for the TDI. The new battery is the correct size and cranking amps.

duwem

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI 5 Speed
Put my new harness in this weekend. Got antcy that the check engine light had not gone out after a few starts and some driving so I went to Advanced Auto to have them scan it.

They got all uptight when I asked about clearing the codes, how its illegal now and what not. Said if I wanted to try to figure it out, I could, which I did. Almost enough drama to motivate me to just go buy a scanner or vagcom!

Hopefully the light stays off, also checked plug resistance and they were all really close.

tdi_allan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon, 2003 Jetta Sedan (Lemons racer), 2010 Touareg
Bringing this thread back to life to report that the glow plug harness I installed nearly 20 years ago has outlasted the rest of the car, which I am in the process of dismantling. The turbo let go last year, and the rust that kills cars here in the Midwest had started to take its toll. At 300k it owes me nothing. The parts will live on in the 2003 TDI wagon I am slowly bringing back to driving condition, and in the IOE-winning Lemons Jetta TDI that I race with my team here in the midwest.

- Allan