Air filter extremely dirty after 4000 miles.

rexdriver85

TDI
03 TDI, 15 Fiesta ST, 95 Rodeo
Car is a 2004 PD. Bought it a few months ago with 58,xxx. Immediately did a full tuneup, including fresh Rotella T6, and all new filters, including this air filter. Also did a full TB kit as soon as I got it, even thought it wasn't close to be being due...I didn't want to take any chances.

Car is at 62,xxx now, installed my newsouth boost gauge tonight and decided for some reason to check my air filter and this is what i found. :eek::eek:

When I got the car all I could see which was modified was the exhaust. No cat, straight piping back to a very very small muffler. I cannot tell if it's tuned, although at WOT I do smoke.

After installing the boost gauge tonight I finally see why a straight exhaust and a KP39 don't quite mix...spikes to 25psi then steady 15-16psi.

Can anyone tell me why the filter is that sooty after 4000 miles?? Is this KP39 on it's way out? Cause if it is ID has deals on turbos this months and I'd fine with upgrading! :D

Jack Frost

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Clean Diesel
I cannot venture an explantion except to say that the air where you live is sooty or your exhaust is being routed to the front of the air filter.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Look at your airbox system closely.

That 1/3 that is dirty is the part that should only get dirty from having a clogged snow screen. There is a spring loaded door that should only open when the other side clogs from snow or bugs.

Verify that your snow screen is clean.
Verify the spring loaded door is normally closed.

I usually only see that soot from the BRM EGR cooler leak, but it looks as if your exhaust system is leaking a bit under your hood, where the spring loaded door pulls hot air.

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf-Ute TDI GLS 5spd Manual
Furthermore, you should not open your airbox to check the air filter. Doing so effectively ruins the pink seal that runs around the edge of the filter. It will not reseal properly again.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Furthermore, you should not open your airbox to check the air filter. Doing so effectively ruins the pink seal that runs around the edge of the filter. It will not reseal properly again.
Ain't that what Vaseline is used for? :D

Here is what too good a seal job did to my air filter element (2005 Passat ~ 15K on the element:

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
Ain't that what Vaseline is used for?

Ahhh NO that is a oil based product.... OIL kills MAFs.

rexdriver85

TDI
03 TDI, 15 Fiesta ST, 95 Rodeo
Thanks for the responses everyone!

Snow screen is clean and the door in the bottom portion of the airbox is normally closed. I will check my DP and exhaust system for leaks when I get a chance.

I just sold my MK3 so I'm really thinking of doing a turbo upgrade and tune now. I wish the BEW was as simple as the ALH tho, can't find any real good info on EGR, and EGR cooler delete. I'm going to call IDparts and see if they can get me everything I need. :)