Questions about VCDS(For Beginners)

franky67

TDI
2013 Passat TDI Se
Hello there. I am aware that there are many topics about VCDS.
But some of them are outdated. We are getting close to 2020, and I think we could share our experiences about VCDS.

Since my fuel filter change is due,after a research I was told using VCDS to prime the system will not cause damages. So I thought I should get it.

But I am confused. Do I need a software,or the vagcom?
Where to buy it? I only have one german car in my house, so is it really necessary?

Let's say I bought the VCDS, can I also use it for activating rain sensor and some hidden features, or do I need to purchase upgraded module to operate those functions?

And again, I watched some videos, and read many posts in different forums. I just want to hear experiences from TDICLUB members as I trust the people's experiences in this forum. Thanks a lot.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
OK, some basics:
1) VCDS is a program (software) and it is free to download from Ross-Tech. However, in order to use the program you must buy a Ross-Tech interface. The license to use the program is built into the interface, the program will not work without a genuine Ross-Tech interface. This also means that software upgrades are free as long as you have the interface.
2) R-T's latest interfaces are required for newer (2016+) VWs but since you have a 2013 you could get by with an older ("legacy") interface like a MicroCAN or a HEX+CAN USB cable. For newer VWs you would need a HEX-V2 or a HEX-NET interface.
3) New interfaces can be purchased here: https://store.ross-tech.com/shop/cat/VCDS and "legacy" interfaces must be purchased used because Ross-Tech doesn't sell them anymore.
4) There are cheaper alternatives available (like ODBeleven) that will do the same jobs but they do not have anywhere near the level of support that Ross-Tech offers. Therefore the learning curve will be steeper.
5) You can change all sorts of things in your car with VCDS (or OBDeleven). What you can change depends on your car.

Have Fun!

Don

Last edited:

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Since my fuel filter change is due,after a research I was told using VCDS to prime the system will not cause damages. So I thought I should get it..

There really is NO need for a VCDS to change the fuel filter. I have a Hex V2 but did not use it the two times I've changed my fuel filter.
Search these forums for how to change the filter.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
There really is NO need for a VCDS to change the fuel filter. I have a Hex V2 but did not use it the two times I've changed my fuel filter.

The "need" is definitely debatable and it has been debated here at length. I'm not going to go there. My only thought was always that the official service manual recommends priming the fuel system any time it is opened up. Therefore, I see no reason NOT to prime it IF you have the tool to do so. I would not recommend buying VCDS only to run the pumps, the other options do work for fuel filter changes. However, VCDS has many other useful features that it is a reasonable investment for any VW owner. I have often said that every VW/Audi owner should either own VCDS or know somebody who does have it.

Have Fun!

Don

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Hello there. I am aware that there are many topics about VCDS.
But some of them are outdated. We are getting close to 2020, and I think we could share our experiences about VCDS.
Since my fuel filter change is due,after a research I was told using VCDS to prime the system will not cause damages. So I thought I should get it.
But I am confused. Do I need a software,or the vagcom?
Where to buy it? I only have one german car in my house, so is it really necessary?
Let's say I bought the VCDS, can I also use it for activating rain sensor and some hidden features, or do I need to purchase upgraded module to operate those functions?
And again, I watched some videos, and read many posts in different forums. I just want to hear experiences from TDICLUB members as I trust the people's experiences in this forum. Thanks a lot.

Some things you can activate but will not work without the module. There is a lot that can be done. Comfort windows (up and down with your fob, pano includid), changing the number or blinks on momentary signal. Mirror down (power folding mirrors). Under door lights. eliminating door and belt chime. under mirror lights. ability to turn city lights. comfort window, and other things on and off in your mfd. Changing the push to talk button on wheel to mute. This is some of the things i have done. Oh after swipe on wipers. auto activate rear when in rev if front was active..... This will give you some ideas..... Activate signals and flash rear lights under hard breaking or if abs activates.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
Regarding the fuel filter change, I am with Jetta_Pilot that software is not required for this task, and on many situations priming with the key or cranking is not even needed.

I been changing fuel filters in diesel engines for over 2 decades on everything from 3 different VW diesels, Northern Lights generators, an old Volvo 2 cyl. marine diesel, Racor filters of all types in all types of applications, and even the engine mounted filter on a Gardner 6LW of pre-WWII era design.

The theory is simple-fill up the new filter, with clean fuel, allow the fuel to fill the filter media, top it off to the very brim and install with new gaskets. Some engines include a prime pump and a bleed valve to get air out of the lines or filter. If you manage to remove the old filter and put in the new one without introducing any substantial amount of air (being cognizant of this when you take out the old filter) you will be fine.

I haven't done a fuel filter change yet in my 2013 (all previous ones were done by the dealer) but when I hit 40,000 miles I will do it myself with no software.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
And the hpfp has a pressure valve. The valve prevents the hpfp from running dry. it closes if the pressure drops below a threshold.

franky67

TDI
2013 Passat TDI Se
Some things you can activate but will not work without the module. There is a lot that can be done. Comfort windows (up and down with your fob, pano includid), changing the number or blinks on momentary signal. Mirror down (power folding mirrors). Under door lights. eliminating door and belt chime. under mirror lights. ability to turn city lights. comfort window, and other things on and off in your mfd. Changing the push to talk button on wheel to mute. This is some of the things i have done. Oh after swipe on wipers. auto activate rear when in rev if front was active..... This will give you some ideas..... Activate signals and flash rear lights under hard breaking or if abs activates.
Thanks for all the information. These are great ideas. I am really thinking about buying it now!
I guess even my next car is not VW or Audi I should still be able to sell the VCDS module through facebook or so.

franky67

TDI
2013 Passat TDI Se
Regarding the fuel filter change, I am with Jetta_Pilot that software is not required for this task, and on many situations priming with the key or cranking is not even needed.
I been changing fuel filters in diesel engines for over 2 decades on everything from 3 different VW diesels, Northern Lights generators, an old Volvo 2 cyl. marine diesel, Racor filters of all types in all types of applications, and even the engine mounted filter on a Gardner 6LW of pre-WWII era design.
The theory is simple-fill up the new filter, with clean fuel, allow the fuel to fill the filter media, top it off to the very brim and install with new gaskets. Some engines include a prime pump and a bleed valve to get air out of the lines or filter. If you manage to remove the old filter and put in the new one without introducing any substantial amount of air (being cognizant of this when you take out the old filter) you will be fine.
I haven't done a fuel filter change yet in my 2013 (all previous ones were done by the dealer) but when I hit 40,000 miles I will do it myself with no software.
So I actually did the fuel filter change yesterday.
Took the filter out, used turkey baster to take all the fuel in canister out. Cleaned canister while its still mounted with towels. Put the new filter with fresh diesel and turned the key on twice. I heard the pump working. 3rd time I turned the key is fired up right away. Did not have to prime I guess.

But thanks for sharing your experiences! Good luck on yours

franky67

TDI
2013 Passat TDI Se
OK, some basics:
1) VCDS is a program (software) and it is free to download from Ross-Tech. However, in order to use the program you must buy a Ross-Tech interface. The license to use the program is built into the interface, the program will not work without a genuine Ross-Tech interface. This also means that software upgrades are free as long as you have the interface.
2) R-T's latest interfaces are required for newer (2016+) VWs but since you have a 2013 you could get by with an older ("legacy") interface like a MicroCAN or a HEX+CAN USB cable. For newer VWs you would need a HEX-V2 or a HEX-NET interface.
3) New interfaces can be purchased here: https://store.ross-tech.com/shop/cat/VCDS and "legacy" interfaces must be purchased used because Ross-Tech doesn't sell them anymore.
4) There are cheaper alternatives available (like ODBeleven) that will do the same jobs but they do not have anywhere near the level of support that Ross-Tech offers. Therefore the learning curve will be steeper.
5) You can change all sorts of things in your car with VCDS (or OBDeleven). What you can change depends on your car.

Have Fun!

Don

This is very informative. Exactly what I am looking for! Thanks a lot.
So do you think this one will work for my car ?
https://store.ross-tech.com/shop/vchv2_ent/

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Thanks for all the information. These are great ideas. I am really thinking about buying it now!
I guess even my next car is not VW or Audi I should still be able to sell the VCDS module through facebook or so.
But save your stock coding... For the love of your sanity. one forgotten/wrong click can cause many problems, and lights.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
But save your stock coding... For the love of your sanity. one forgotten/wrong click can cause many problems, and lights.

Yes, when you get your interface, connect to the car, test the interface, save your configuration and then....the most important step - do an autoscan and save the results. This will tell you how every control module started out life, so you can restore it if/when necessary. With newer VWs (like all MQB cars) it is probably also a good idea to save adaptation maps as well.

Have Fun!

Don

c3kTDi

TDI
2015 Passat
I have a VCDS and interface from Ross-Tech. It is great...but I barely understand how to use it. No, I'm not some luddite.

It is very powerful and has many options. The Ross-Tech site has some great FAQ and instructions. I highly recommend reading them.

CallMeColt

TDI
2012 Passat SE
Been reading the past few days & found this thread.

Helpful! I just got my first VW & wanted a basic idea of what I'd need to use VCDS.

VCDS is similar to ForScan for Ford vehicles... except that it is significantly more expensive.

I'm going to keep an eye out for a used Ross-Tech Micro-CAN device on eBay since I have a 2012 Passat.

Thank you!

Last edited:

watatrp

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta tdi (gone) 2013 Passat SEL TDI
Been reading the past few days & found this thread.

Helpful! I just got my first VW & wanted a basic idea of what I'd need to use VCDS.

VCDS is similar to ForScan for Ford vehicles... except that it is significantly more expensive.

I'm going to keep an eye out for a used Ross-Tech Micro-CAN device on eBay since I have a 2012 Passat.

Thank you!
If anyone can chime in on the type of cable that is needed for a 2013 Passat it would be appreciated. I understand that a HEX+CAN USB cable will work but are not available at Ross-Tech any longer. Will the newer cables work on older cars also?

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
If anyone can chime in on the type of cable that is needed for a 2013 Passat it would be appreciated. I understand that a HEX+CAN USB cable will work but are not available at Ross-Tech any longer. Will the newer cables work on older cars also?
You can use either one of the older cables that have CAN in the model (Micro-Can, Hex+Can) or either of the currently available models (Hex-NET, Hex V2).

The older "CAN" cables are no longer sold new, but can occasionally be found in the classifieds section here and VwVortex. These older models are unlimited VIN while the newer models are VIN limited. Typically, they are 3 or 10 VIN but can be unlocked to unlimited for a price.