MK6 JSW Front End Swap with MK5 front

TDI_Nate_

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI Black Uni, Non-sunroof, 6-speed
Hello, and I think I'm in the correct forum, if not let me know and I'll move the post.

So the next new car I am looking at getting is a MK6 JSW 6-speed TDI. I don't want to mod the heck out of it like I have my ALH, but I still want something different. I know MK5 JSW TDI's exist in the 2009 model year but are very hard to come by, I'm sure even harder in a 6-speed. My understanding is that the MK6 JSW is basically a MK5 only with an updated look for the front and all the nice new feel and look stuff inside like the cluster and such. With that in mind comes my question, is it possible and what would be needed to MK5 front end swap a MK6 JSW? I'm assuming headlights, bumper, fenders, hood, grill, maybe rad. support? I like the look of the MK5 front on a JSW better than the MK6 plus I think there is more room for a look with a MK5 front (GTI/GLI, HID headlights, honeycomb grill, etc..). And is there a year of MK6 JSW that this would be easiest?, like earlier 2010 or 2011? Again I know a MK5 JSW exists and I also know it is hard to find, and it is way way easier to find a MK6 JSW and just get one in a MK5/MK6 shared color and go to a junk yard and get the front end swap stuff(seeming as MK5's are getting abundant in yards now).

TDI_Nate_

TDI
Doesn't anybody have any input on if this is possible? Any issues with rad support and headlights? Or body lines?

Pharcyde145

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
Hey, I think I saw you post this on the Vortex which is the better forum for these kind of questions, which is also why you probably aren't getting much of a response.

You are on the right track that you will need to have replacement bumper, headlights, grill, hood and fenders at minimum. They might all truly have to come from a MKV wagon, since I believe body lines connecting through the fender into the A pillar and door are slightly different from the sedan (the windshield might be more sloped on the wagon than the sedan or vice versa). I'm skeptical that it will be a bolt on affair some to much of it might be, but an educated guess would be that it will take some custom modification on the fly as you test fit things together (I'm thinking bumper core and radiator support here) and maybe even some bond and paint to have it looking truly the way you want.

If you have a good source for the parts you need and don't mind spending time doing trial and error type tasks, I say go for it, it is or will be your car (provided you don't take a loan out to get it, then it's the bank's car) do what you want and what'll make you happy.

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Please tell me the current front end is smashed up. Otherwise you've got way too much free time.

TDI_Nate_

TDI
Yeah I posted the same thing on Vortex and have gotten quite a few responses. Most telling me I'm dumb in some manor for wanting to "downgrade" the look of the MK6 to a MK5. I get that it is technically a down grade but I don't care, I think putting a MK5 GLI/GTI/R32/or Thunder Bunny front on one of these would be wicked cool, and different, and I'm all about that. But as far as free time, hopefully that isn't an indicator of the difficulty of it, but it looks like I'm just gonna end up trying it and find out myself. I found a bunch of examples of MK6 fronts put onto MK5's and they mate/match the bumper to the car via MK6 JSW fenders and from what I have read it appears to be bolt on. So I can't imagine with a platform based like 95% exterior on the MK5 that going the other way and "downgrading" would be any harder. I went to a junk yard last weekend for stuff for my alh but also took a bunch of pictures of mounting/anchor points on MK5's, and I asked this on vortex but maybe you TDIClub members will be of help too. Could you post pics please of the fender mount points, rad support mount points, bumper, body lines etc. in the front of your MK6 JSW and the many pictures I have I'll compare and see if I can learn any more.