Best way to remove alternator in 2012 Passat TDI SE

michael7208

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Jetta, 2001 Golf, 2003 Golf, 2005 BEW Wagon
Hey guys what is the best way to remove the alternator in my 2012 Passat. I have removed them before in the ALH's and BEW;s. They came out through the bottom but on the 2012 Passat there is so kind of a water valve in the way. I am assuming you would have to remove/disconnect this and move AC compressor out of the way to remove the alternator. If this sounds right please let me know. I will be attempting this on Sunday.
Mickey

michael7208

Veteran Member
TDI
Guys does anyone know how to do this? I am dumbfounded, not sure it it would be easier from top or bottom any advice would be appreciated.

pebjr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta; 2015 Golf S
Just curious in what exactly your problem is with the alternator? I recently had to change the alternator pulley on my 09 Jetta tdi, but I was able to do it still mounted.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Put the lock carrier assembly in service position. Remove the electric coolant pump. Remove the A/C compressor mountings and position it out of the way (I find it easier to evacuate the system and remove the compressor entirely). Then remove the alternator and pull it forward and out. Book time is 3.4hr, so it is not exactly a quick and easy one. Well, it is pretty easy, but not quick.

michael7208

Veteran Member
TDI
The problem with the alternator is it only spins one way, and of course that is backwards from the way it should spin. I am thinking it is the bearings in the pulley have gone bad, not sure, but that is what I am thinking.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Seeing what "oilhammer" says, at least for myself it sounds like a job left to the professionals.

oilhammer

TDI
The problem with the alternator is it only spins one way, and of course that is backwards from the way it should spin. I am thinking it is the bearings in the pulley have gone bad, not sure, but that is what I am thinking.

Do you know about the one-way pulley and how to check them? What problem are you having?

oilhammer

TDI
No oilhammer I do not know about the one way pulley. Please explain.
Welcome to 1998:

https://www.gatestechzone.com/en/problem-diagnosis/accessory-drive-system/oap-function-tests

;)

Easiest way on a TDI to check one, is with the engine OFF, gently reach into the alternator case and try and rotate the fan in the direction of engine rotation (so, clockwise if you are looking at the front of the pulley). It should rotate. If it does not, the pulley has locked up. They are a little difficult to access on the CR engines, however.