Kerma Tune Quick Review

Wpilot673

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
2012 Golf TDI , 6Speed

Ordered the Kerma after much deliberation between them and Malone. The company was lightning quick with the shipping. It took maybe 60-90 seconds to download the factory tune into the scanner provided from Kerma. The tool was simple and intuitive. I loaded it on my pc using the recommended software and emailed it late the same afternoon. I got my upgraded tune the next day. It took just a bit longer to load it into the ECU but not bad at all.
I noticed an immediate improvement in power! Not a fire breather or instant race car lol but muuuuch better. After playing around with it , I filled the tank and started recording fuel mileage.
1) 39.7 local driving ( I was expecting better . maybe I was in the pedal a bit too much )
2) 40.1 local driving
3) 42.6 Hwy driving with the car loaded 4 people and bags for vacation. Speeds about 80-85 on the interstate
4) 42.7 "same as above "
5) 41.5 local driving

Edit* I should mention these numbers are not from the MFI display but from good old fashioned , elementary level arithmetic.

before I did the tune my average Fuel mileage was 37-38 for local driving. So far very pleased with the results.

Last edited:

Wpilot673

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
Stage 1? When I talked to him on the phone he said it would be basically the same tune that they have in their own test mule car. Which is also a bone stock manual.

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
Stage 1? When I talked to him on the phone he said it would be basically the same tune that they have in their own test mule car. Which is also a bone stock manual.
i think they only offer 1 tune for the post fix CR TDIs

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
I got the 1.5 and the 1. Charlie was saying some guys experience acceleration shudder so the dialed back some numbers slightly
What is that exactly, it’s not a slipping clutch is it?

So long as it doesn’t risk blowing the clutch up I’d opt for the 1.5 or more.

nucklehead

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI W/DSG
I've had the Kerma tune for 2 fillups so far. My mileage before the tune was terrible as compared to the 2013 Jetta Premium TDI I sold back to VW for about $900 more than I paid for it. Not bad for a new car I drove for 3.5 years and 25k miles. Overall MPG over those 25k miles according to Fuelly was 40.1.

When I bought the 2013 Golf (TDI, DSG) last Dec. I figured I could get at least that for MPG, WRONG! Best tank on the 'fixed' tune was 37.2, and the worst one was 35.6, not good IMO. Over 2 fillups with the Kerma tune I've managed 43.1 and 42.3 (this was with 10% bio-diesel) better, but I'm hoping for even better numbers. Not sure how I'll go about that, maybe some eco low rolling resistant tires? Haven't given it much thought at this stage. I enjoy better throttle response and power, but I bought this tune for MPG. I don't generally drive the car hard so these numbers should improve after the weather warms. The Jetta displayed the same lower numbers during cool weather so I don't expect to see anything better than 38-39 until next spring.

As far as the Kerma tune and better power, yeah, it has that. I can light up the tires any time I want from a dead stop, and the tires will break loose in 1-2 and 2-3 shifts if I stay on the pedal. But it isn't my driving style. I don't want to break this car, it has to last me the rest of my life! I'm almost 72 and my hotrodding days ended when I sold my very fast 71 Karmann Ghia. I loved that car, but it was just too loud to really enjoy driving it for any period of time.

I don't know how long it will take to pay for the Kerma tune, but that isn't really the issue with me. I just love seeing high MPG, and having performance along for the ride makes it more enjoyable. I got on the ass of a low-rider Honda with a coffee-can exhaust earlier today. The guy made lots of noise like it was really fast, but i was right with him until he finally let off. Nothing worse than an old fart in a Golf that you can't shake, eh?

dillenger1

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 gsw tdi
What is that exactly, it’s not a slipping clutch is it?
So long as it doesn’t risk blowing the clutch up I’d opt for the 1.5 or more.
it has something to do with the car trying to dial back when given the fextra uel and timing.jason explained it to me one time.. dopnt remember exactly