2004 VW Jetta TDI Automatic Solenoid Issue.

mat111

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
Hello all,

Would first like to thank everyone here for all the help, guidance and patience. Its a great place for TDI enthusiasts.

I moved to Montreal,QC for contract work and winter here is definitely harsher than in Toronto,ON. My car after running in mornings would have a hard time going to 3rd gear, however after the engine temperature would become normal, the automatic gears shifted flawlessly.

Since last week, after starting the car, the gear would not shift to drive position at all. So I researched online and called around to find out that it is a Solenoid issue and would cost upto $1500 to fix and was advised against it.

Car is in a very good shape for its age and has about 330,000 kms.

My questions are the following;
1 - Is $1500 a fair price to fix the issue?
2 - Is the price to fix worth for a 2004 vehicle?
3 - Are there any recommended TDI mechanics in Montréal and surrounding areas? I have CAA membership to tow it.

Please advice.

- Thanks and have a great day.
Matt

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
Solenoids are a common problem with the 5 speed Jatco transmission. I've seen aftermarket kits available for around $200usd. Just can't remember where at the moment.

petea4

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf GLS
Matt,

I have a auto Trans. It has issues that reverse would sometimes work, sometimes not.

Give me like $200 and come get it. Pull the solenoids clean them up and install them in your Trans. Keep your reverse solenoid.

$200 Trans, shifter, cables, driveshafts, wiring harness... all of it.

Let me know,
Pete

PS- figured I'd look on the forum as I'm sitting here at Kelseys with OmegaRenegade, mofocus, and xenon. Lol

Last edited:

waymui@gmail.com

TDI
‘81 caddy ‘05 Jetta wagon ‘03 Jetta wagon ‘13 Passat sedan
Do you replace all the solenoids? Or since I’m only hanging shifting problem when it’s cold between first and second, do I just replace one solenoid?

john jacob

TDI
VW beatle TDI 2002
01M transmission. Limp mode.
For years, on and off, then constantly, I have had shift solenoid issues with my 2002 TDI. I replaced the solenoids, but still had the issue.
Finally, after tracing the connections from the computer, all the way down to the solenoids, I determined it was the round in line connector that was at fault. The connector looked perfect. However, a resistance check showed one bad connection. I was planning on cutting the harness, and jumping around the bad pin, but as a last resort. I tried another method. I modified a pair of needle nose pliers, which I use to distort the bad pin. I bent the pin to have a wave in it. Sort of like this ~ The wave caused the pin to make connection with its mating socket. Works perfectly. No error codes. Transmission shifts great.
JJ