engine.... she fall down.... help.

pinkfreud55

TDI
2005 golf
Did not know (nor did the mechanic) that mounting bolts should be changed when TB is changed. 2nd TB on orginal bolts.

I have not seen the damage, but was told I need a new block. I'm thinking the "diesel geek" fix might be in order. Right?

I am told I need a new TB cover, and TB.

1. What else should I know, or be doing in terms of parts and service at this juncture given that the engine is exposed.

2. Is my belief that the van gogh fix is appropiate.

PF

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
Your fix will depend upon what exactly failed.
If the aluminum engine bracket failed (top threads stripped) then you'll need a new bracket.
If the engine block "ear" failed then you might get away with the van gogh fix. However this depends upon the extent of the ear failure. I have seen the block (in this area) fail where you could see down into the engine block. If that is the case its all over.

Best thing to do is to post some photos.

pinkfreud55

TDI
2005 golf
Thanks Herm TDI for the quick response. All the guy said is that I need a new block. I don't even think he has taken a close look at it.

Just to clarify. The engine block is the engine right? Are there any photos on this site (I'll take a gander too) that show the scenario you are refering too.

PF

pinkfreud55

TDI
2005 golf
Also, if it is the engine block (where you can see inside), would the engine still run? My car was still moving (although the pan wass rubbing on the ground....oops. Thought it was ice build up beneath the p.o.s. cracked up skid plate.

PF

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
I'm wondering where the heck Timmins is, because, by looking at your English grammar, I'm guessing that English ins not your first language (which, in itself is fine) but what country are you in?

And I cannot believe that those bolts made it into the third timing belt; I guess those bolts are not as delicate as we're all led to believe, lol.

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG
TB & block

Apparently your mechanic knows little about TDIs. Besides the TTY bolts not being replaced he probably didn't replace tensioner, guides, water pump.......Maybe you need a lawyer?:rolleyes:

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
You need a new mechanic. Please find yourself one in the trusted mechanic section (i.e. Guru); have your car towed from it's current local to said guru and hope your lucky.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
FL2AK-tdi said:
I'm wondering where the heck Timmins is, because, by looking at your English grammar, I'm guessing that English ins not your first language (which, in itself is fine) but what country are you in?

And I cannot believe that those bolts made it into the third timing belt; I guess those bolts are not as delicate as we're all led to believe, lol.
Timmins is ON, IIRC.

Ms. Pink, you need a lawyer and a qualified TDI fixer!

Perhaps a fellow Ontarian can provide the assist.

pinkfreud55

TDI
2005 golf
Good news. I am told it is the "ear" that is busted, so the van gogh fix ought to work (right). I will tow somewhere, but where? I know someone who was referred by Brian (N.S. guy who sell's skid plates and more) to a fella in Ottawa (700kms away) that I might go with. Of course anyone closer would be great...say Sudbury, North Bay. I could also tow to a dealer which is not as far.

Where to I get a timing cover?? Timing belt, bolts, tensioner are also needed, as well as the van gogh piece.

What else should I get done at this point with the engine exposed, in terms of maintenane, cleaning.... .

PF

19DIESEL

TDI
1999.5 ALH
the ear on my block is broken as well but theres enough of it left for a bolt nut and washer to hang on tight. good tdi pple are hard to find here in the north! i've learned to just fix it myself!!

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
Timmins is very far from anywhere guys - stick with the mechanic, but make sure that you give him as much info as possible.

If the ear is broken, order a kit.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Jim at Diesel Geek has the fix parts. I've used them and made my own. You're better off using the pre made one though. Saves a ton of time.

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
At this point, would it not be better to simply find a tdiclub member to take over and do the bail out? If thereis no guru nearby, at least a club member would have enough knowledge not to go down the path again.

Am I wrong in assuming that, at this point, the entire job needs to be redone from scratch?

pinkfreud55

TDI
2005 golf
So, I can get the parts for a good price, but where and how do I find a good mechanic that is not going to rape me. Where the car is now, he stated that it would be at least a grand (plus parts at my expense). It is almost cheaper to fly one of you guys up here. I knew should of taken some mech. classes.... would have saved me a bundle.

As I try to solve this I am renting a car by the week, and I have not ordered any parts because I was going to have them shipped directly to where my car will be fixed.

Any thoughts.

PF

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
pinkfreud55 said:
Also, are there any special tools required that a typical mechanic would not have.

Pf
Yes. Metalnerd.com sells a complete TB kit that is well priced and includes all OEM VW parts and they also rent out those special tools. It's what I used for my car.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
Toronto is 251 kms away, give or take. It may be worth taking it to a guru there. Towing it with a uhaul? Got a friend with a pickup?

craig01b

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
Sounds like a good offer from 19diesel....get the parts asap. Guess it is time to look for a new skid plate also. Nice steel aftermarket ones availaible in Ontario from a local guy.

440 miles, almost 9 hours from Toronto...its a long way.

I have seen one *ear* broken, its a lousy place to work. But, the repair is good. Its usually not the bolts that fail.

If the vertical bolts into the mount fail, its usually the threads that were damaged. The aluminium mount tends to *gall* and pick up on the threads.

Good luck,

Craig

pinkfreud55

TDI
2005 golf
Should of gave 19diesel a go, becaue I got ripped off - I think. Parts, I got myself (dieselgeek was great and came thought with the van gogh fix part, belt and tensionner, and new bolts), and I got the timing belt cover from the deal (140.00 for plastic). Labor was 880.00, they claimed they had a hard time taking the bolts out (they knew that i knew that this might be the case). I don't beleive them. The problem was not so much the price, but that they only start the work once they got all the parts from me. Dieselgeek was quick, but the dealer was not. I think they could have started while waiting for the timing belt cover.

And once they had all the parts they took a week to do it, claiming that they now had a back log of vehicles (even though mine was there first). I had to rent a car for 3 weeks - another 880!!

This car is costing too much. I need a guru in Timmins, Ontario. Otherwise, f**K it.

Thanks for your help guy.

PF

bluejet99

TDI
1999 Jetta, blue
Hello Pinkfred55

There is a good mecanic in Rouyn-Noranda, Luc Petit, tel. 819-797-3517. Almost everybody with VW and BMW goes to that garage for repair. He is a formely VW mecanic who use to work for the VW stealership in Rouyn.
Good luck

Bluejet99

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
Once again, don't go to a dealer. And quite honestly, you're lucky the (I know, an oxymoron) that the dealer would even consider touching it using your parts; the dealership I worked at would have scoffed.

bigtom111

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle, 97 Passat, 03 Jetta
pinkfreud55 said:
Should of gave 19diesel a go, becaue I got ripped off - I think. Parts, I got myself (dieselgeek was great and came thought with the van gogh fix part, belt and tensionner, and new bolts), and I got the timing belt cover from the deal (140.00 for plastic). Labor was 880.00, they claimed they had a hard time taking the bolts out (they knew that i knew that this might be the case). I don't beleive them. The problem was not so much the price, but that they only start the work once they got all the parts from me. Dieselgeek was quick, but the dealer was not. I think they could have started while waiting for the timing belt cover.

And once they had all the parts they took a week to do it, claiming that they now had a back log of vehicles (even though mine was there first). I had to rent a car for 3 weeks - another 880!!

This car is costing too much. I need a guru in Timmins, Ontario. Otherwise, f**K it.

Thanks for your help guy.

PF

I think they had a lot of nerve charging you anything. It was their incompetence in not replacing the bolts that caused this in the first place. You are not expected to know that they should be changed but if somebody is going to take your money to do a job, they are expected to know how to do it properly. If they have small claims court up there, I'd go for getting my money back if I were you.

pinkfreud55

TDI
2005 golf
yatzee said:
Toronto is 251 kms away, give or take. It may be worth taking it to a guru there. Towing it with a uhaul? Got a friend with a pickup?
Just looking at this old thread - noticing the mistake - not 251 kms, try 650kms.:eek: