Right side headlight and rear light suddenly not working

chachacha

TDI
not yet
I just put in a new OEM battery yesterday. Now my passenger side headlight, DRL and rear lights are not working. About a week ago I started getting a message that the license plate light was out. Any ideas where I should start? I doubt it is the actual bulbs but I don’t know.

2011 JSW TDI 6MT 71,000miles
Thanks!

Jpilch16

TDI
2013 jetta tdi sportwagen
I just put in a new OEM battery yesterday. Now my passenger side headlight, DRL and rear lights are not working. About a week ago I started getting a message that the license plate light was out. Any ideas where I should start? I doubt it is the actual bulbs but I don’t know.

2011 JSW TDI 6MT 71,000miles

Thanks!
Check your fuses you could have accidentally blown one

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

chachacha

TDI
not yet
All of the fuses look good. I don’t have a diagram and can’t find one online that shows which it is. The horn is also not working. As well as the rear drivers side blinker

chachacha

TDI
not yet
Ok so

Drivers rear light works, passenger does not
Passenger BREAK light works, drivers side does not

Drivers headlight works passenger side does not
Drivers hi beam works passenger does not
Drivers side drl works passenger does not

Earlier in the day the horn did not work. But now it does

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
With that much stuff not working right I’d suspect an electrical connection. All the lights and so forth are controlled by the body control module or BCM. it is located above the drivers feet and has multiple connectors going into it. I don’t think they are problematic but wouldn’t hurt to check for corrosion on the pins especially if you suspect your car might have sat unused in a humid place for a long while.

chachacha

TDI
not yet
With that much stuff not working right I’d suspect an electrical connection. All the lights and so forth are controlled by the body control module or BCM. it is located above the drivers feet and has multiple connectors going into it. I don’t think they are problematic but wouldn’t hurt to check for corrosion on the pins especially if you suspect your car might have sat unused in a humid place for a long while.

Thanks I’ll check it out. It’s actually been intermittent. I pulled out and rest all the fuses and everything worked last night. Today same issue. Something g must just be loose

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Thanks I’ll check it out. It’s actually been intermittent. I pulled out and rest all the fuses and everything worked last night. Today same issue. Something g must just be loose
Grounds? Changing/wet whether can often bring issues out.
Since VW loves fusing lights left side, right side, do they ground them L & R?

chachacha

TDI
not yet
I found the second fuse box. Does anyone have a diagram? I can’t find one anywhere. 2011 JSW TDI 6MT

chachacha

TDI
not yet
Confirmed with my mechanic it is the BCM. Should I be concerned at all that this happened immediately after getting an oil change at a VW dealer? Foul play?

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Confirmed with my mechanic it is the BCM. Should I be concerned at all that this happened immediately after getting an oil change at a VW dealer? Foul play?
Sounds rather generic (BCM), hopefully he doesn't come back for more diag. time. They are seeing a lot of corrosion issues from leaking sunroof drains around the a pillars. I can't see how an oil change could effect anything. Best to you on the fix

Yai

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI, 2014 Touareg- R Line
Oh man, sorry to hear. I had this issue but I had custom wiring done, for oem xenon retrofit. My issues turned out to be a blown capacitor, that was put in, by my electrical guy. I too, lost my entire left headlight. I have a 2012 TDI and my left headlight fuse is SB26. It’s 30amp, larger size fuse. The right headlight is was a smaller 30A fuse.

I too thought it was BCM, good luck and update the thread on the fix.

Ron

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
do a search for VW campaign 97am. The fuse plate under the hood has a bad spot for the 30amp fuse F16 (The most aft fuse in the box). The bad connection makes heat and arcing and burning so the connection gets high resistance. But the fuse doesn't blow. Does all kinds of crazy things with the lights. Pull the fuse out and look for melting or arcing. They replaced the fuse plate and installed a heavy duty fuse in the campaign. I think they did it so it wouldn't escalate to a recall.

Last edited:

Fogcat

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen
I had a MY07 Passat wagon and experienced corrosion (black residue) on ALL fuse and relay connections. I cleaned the entire box and all similar "failures" dispersed. Since the box is the same just diffo layouts maybe the same issue? It wasn't all that difficult to do, just time consuming.