2005 Jetta wagon auto not shifting and wobbles

waymui@gmail.com

TDI
‘81 caddy ‘05 Jetta wagon ‘03 Jetta wagon ‘13 Passat sedan
I have a couple of issues, maybe related but probably not.
It’s an automatic transmission that won’t shift up out of first gear when it’s cold. Everything shifts fine once up to temperature. I have resorted to starting the car and putting it in drive with my foot on the break for 5 to 10 minutes in order for the transmission to warm up enough that it will shift and to second gear all the way up into fifth if I drive it easy. If it anytime I have to Slow down enough that it starts downshifting, if it downshifts below third then it goes directly to first gear. To get it to shift back up again before it reaches temperature, you have to read line the tachometer and drop the throttle, then baby it back up into highway speeds. There was a code for incorrect gear ratio in first and second. Fluid level was down in the transmission when I checked it, topped it off and it didn’t change. The fluid looked good, not discolored or bad smelling. There was a code for incorrect gear ratio in first and second. Fluid level was down in the transmission when I checked it, topped it off and it didn’t change. The fluid looked good, not discolored or bad smelling.
The second issue is that I have an intermittent Wobble/shake/thumping noise that comes from front left as best I can tell. Happens mostly above 40 miles an hour through 80 miles an hour, only when power is being received to the wheels. If I lit up on the throttle, the noise And everything goes away, drives fine. Shifting into neutral produces the same resolution to the problem. Rolling back on the throttle then re-produces the problem. But it is not consistent. I’ve been driving consistently 500 miles a week, I would say about 10% of the time I have this issue. I resolve it by coasting for a while, And it seems to go away. No significant shaking in the steering wheel.
I’ve had the CV joints inspected, no issues noted. Doesn’t sound or feel like a wheel bearing. Although, it does seem to be influenced if I weave in my lane of travel from side to side. Worse when weaving to the right, less when weaving to the left.
I’ve only on the car for a couple of thousand miles now, didn’t have any issue initially. There is one time coming off of the freeway on the Cloverleaf that in the sharp right hand turning that I hit a pothole or something in the road hard on the left front. No symptoms Or noises until almost 500 miles later
Any ideas?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Classic symptoms of the up shift solenoids sticking. Look up Jatco 09a solenoids and order a set. Super easy to swap out. Did some on my roommates car due to 1-2 up shift and 2-3, it cleared it right up.

waymui@gmail.com

TDI
Thanks, solenoid easy enough. Where do I learn how to replace? Or what’s a reasonable labor cost to pay a shop?

waymui@gmail.com

TDI
Update-
Solenoids from cobra installed seems to have fixed it, shift fine now!
Thanks all!

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Thanks for the updates; always good to post solutions to help others.