Info on disabled Canadian Block Heaters (Recall 19J9 & 19K4)

Frank_TDI

TDI
'14 JSW
Earlier this year I bought myself a new scandal 2014 TDI JSW (GSW in Canada) and am loving the purchase so far.

In doing my research on TSB's completed on the car, I learnt about 19J9 Disable engine block heater which disabled the factory block heater due to a fire concern. I confirmed that my car had that completed.

I tried asking VW Canada about the recourse owners had if their block heater was just disabled, and they insisted there was no further action taken on the cars and they should all be permanently disabled.

I then came across 19K4 - Restore Engine Block Heater Functionality in a thread. When I mentioned this code to VW, they had no idea what I was talking about.

So, with winter right around the corner, I was trying to get some more information about this and was wondering if this community knew anything about it? Thanks very much!

Frank_TDI

TDI
'14 JSW
Update:

Once again contacted my dealer and I was told the following. In the initial disabling of the block heater, the connector was physically modified to not open, or not connect (not sure how). The 19K4 was not on my file for my VIN and they had no other records since the disabling, HOWEVER, he told me that IF my connector was opening and looked functional, than the previous owner likely had it resolved but had no detail on the matter.

Still not much more confident that things are in fact safe, curious if anyone else has any insight?

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
They filled the plug on the cars with silicone or something close to. I was lucky my '14 had yet to receive the treatment before I picked it up last yr.

wegnerR-VW

TDI
2013 Golf Sportwagen
I have just purchased a 2013 Golf TDI Sportwagen and am getting it ready for the winter season and have a similar concern. The car seems to have the original block heater but did not come with the cord which plugs into the outlet on the bumper. I am trying to decide whether to purchase a new cord ($137 at VW dealer) but am now concerned about whether this block heater is safe to use.

Frank_TDI

TDI
'14 JSW
WegnerR, feels like we’re in the same boat. Did you try speaking to your dealer about it for them to look up service history?

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
So far, so good.

@wegneR-Wm did you check the left rear cubby?

wegnerR-VW

TDI
2013 Golf Sportwagen
Frank_TDI, I don't know much of the history of our TDI only that it was originally leased from a dealer in Montreal. In your research were you able to find anything online about 19J9 and 19K4? Are these actual recall notices from VW Canada or just service bulletins? Do you know what was the cause of the fire concern? Was it the block heater itself or the wiring/cord?

crashtested, So it sounds like you have been using your original VW block heater without any problems. Is that correct? We have checked the car thoroughly and there is no sign of the original cord.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
crashtested, So it sounds like you have been using your original VW block heater without any problems. Is that correct? We have checked the car thoroughly and there is no sign of the original cord.
No fire yet so I'll just keep on keeping on.

I'd look at other sources before forking out $170 at the VW parts desk.

German OEM - $88.00 CAD

many other options out there as well. Happy hunting!

AllieJetta

TDI
2014 GSW 6M/TDi Wolfsburg
2014 Golf Wagon (CDN) here as well. Picked mine up last year and the block heater is still functional (as far as I can tell) we found the cord under our spare tire, in the back of the vehicle.

Frank_TDI

TDI
'14 JSW
Hey wolf. So looks like you’re in the same boat as me. The dealer thinks I should be good to go but how am I supposed to feel safe? Have you used yours yet?

wegnerR-VW

TDI
2013 Golf Sportwagen
Wolf1389, Did the dealer explain why your car would not be eligible for the 19k4 fix?

I checked with a VW dealer here in Ottawa and he looked up the recall history for our car. He said that there was no record of our VIN number being affected by the recall so I am not sure where that leaves me other then to buy a cord and try plugging it in to see if the block heater works.

wolf1389

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta sportwagen Comfortline
i have to call VW canada, dealer said they couldnt find my vin associated with the 19k4 fix. oddly enough i can open the cap on the block heater port and i can clearly see the 3 pins there. not sure how to test?

wolf1389

Veteran Member
TDI
called vw Canada they said my car had the disable block heater recall done in 2014 but nothing for any kind of fix. i guess my block heater doesnt work but ill try to test it one weekend

Frank_TDI

TDI
'14 JSW
So strange. I’ve heard multiple accounts of the “disabling” being them literally tampering and ruining the connector. This is why connectors which seem in good order are being interpreted as though this supposed fix was done at some point, however many of us have no record of such fix.

So we’re all in the same boat neither here nor there.

pisici

TDI
passat 2015 tdi
for me i have the cord but when i try put in 110V and the fuse is jump .I am not sure if block heater is broken or is disabled.How can i check if working or is disabled ? I used original cord 15A and said 1500w

Frank_TDI

TDI
'14 JSW
So I did it. Plugged it in for about 5 hours. Was about -10 out. When I started it the glow light plug was on for less than a second (rather than 3-5 seconds at that temp) and it started up very happily. I was expecting a bit of temperature on the gauge but did not see any at all. Seems like it’s designed to really target the right components for a nice startup.

pisici

TDI
passat 2015 tdi
Block heater info

called vw Canada they said my car had the disable block heater recall done in 2014 but nothing for any kind of fix. i guess my block heater doesnt work but ill try to test it one weekend
COULD YOU TELL ME if is work your block heater ?

wegnerR-VW

TDI
2013 Golf Sportwagen
Frank_TDI, glad to hear that your block heater is working fine. I haven't tried ours yet. I will probably be buying a cord this week so I can try plugging it in. Did you use an extension cord? The owner's manual says to use a 12 guage heavy-duty extension cord plugged into a GFI wall outlet.

Frank_TDI

TDI
'14 JSW
Frank_TDI, glad to hear that your block heater is working fine. I haven't tried ours yet. I will probably be buying a cord this week so I can try plugging it in. Did you use an extension cord? The owner's manual says to use a 12 guage heavy-duty extension cord plugged into a GFI wall outlet.
I didn’t use an extension cord but I did just purchase a nice SJTW jacketed 12 gauge extension off amazon for $21. Should remain flexible all winter. Outlet is protected on a GFCI circuit breaker.

wolf1389

Veteran Member
TDI
my block heater works, i turned the car on this morning after leaving the car plugged in all night from midnight to 645 am and when i turned the car on the temp gauge was 1/3rd of the way up, once i started moving the temp gauge dropped as the thermostat kicked in i assume and it almost went down to bottom of the gauge but then within 2-3 minutes it was back up to halfway and i had warm air coming through the vents.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
Working or not has any dug into WHY they put this recall thru and the fix was not to re & re the system but to disable the plug?