Stealth TDI Still Kicking...

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
It's hard to believe so much time has passed. Where does it go? :eek: Not much to report, but there's still a little:

My daughter, Diana, took much longer to get her learner's permit than expected. That's okay. I had a lot of other stuff going on and wasn't ready to work on the car. She's been driving the wife's Mk6 with a permit for several months now. We expect she'll be ready for the driver's test in February. Now that the weather is cooling off, now seems like a good time to get moving on this car.

I'm not ready to really tear into it, but she wanted to do *something* with it. So I had her clean it out. Here's how it sat before she cleaned the interior...

No wasp nests this year! The car sits on a trickle charger. It started as though it had sat for 10 minutes instead of 10 months. We let it run at a high idle for about 20 minutes. We cannot drive it. The tires are shot and the Texas registration expired long ago. Here's the plan:

1) Reassemble the interior. I had pulled it apart in 2015 to move the electronics to my Mk6, which has since been traded for a Mk7 GTI. Diana wants to be involved with reassembly. So I'll supervise as she rewraps the wiring, tucks it, and reassembles the interior.

2) Pull the front suspension and grind away the fender well finish. I have what I hope is surface rust in there. I want to ensure it's not severe or affecting the structure before I commit to rebuilding the car. If it's just surface rust, I'll refinish the area and reinstall the suspension. I'm questioning whether I should replace the struts with new since they've sat for so long. If the rust is too much, I'll reassemble and let her drive it as a beater until it's too bad to continue.

3) Replace the brakes. It's time; and the fluid undoubtedly needs to be flushed. Diana wants to do it. So I'll supervise.

4) Refinish a set of wheels and mount new tires. I still have four sets of wheels for this car. I want her to get used to the torque steer on wheels that are close to factory spec before I expose her to the offset 15" wheels that I used to run. Diana's going to refinish a set of my old BBS's. I'm going to mount some "high performance" all seasons. That's a relative term in the 195/60R14 size, but I want to give her as much grip as possible since the Mk3 does not have the same braking power that she's learned to have in the Mk6.

5) Swap the seats. Those who have these old cars know that the bolsters blow out on the seats. I have three sets of front seats for this car. The seats that are in the car are a second set. I blew out the bottom cushion on the first set and the seat back bolster on the second set. I will mix-n-match the best bolsters and seat parts to make the interior as good as it can be. Diana is much lighter than me, so the seats should last longer with her driving. :cool:

6) Once that's done, the car should be ready for registration and inspection.

7) Recharge the AC. I may need to replace a component. I forget which part usually goes bad if the system is uncharged for extended periods. Is it the evaporator? Regardless, my AC guy will tell me; he's done good work on the car in the past.

8) PAINT. If things go well with the rebuild and if the car is driving well, then I may decide it's worth a paint job. I'll decide later how I want to have the body shop address the rusty fuel filler door. For now, I've coated the affected area with a rust inhibitor, which will hopefully keep it from spreading. I suspect I'll also replace the trunk lid. I bought a new one during a clearance in 2011 just in case I decided I wanted a lid that does not have a hole cut in it for a radio antenna.

Nearly anything I do to the car will cost more than the car is worth; doing it all is certainly a labor of love. :p

IF I take it all the way to paint, then the car will be fit to show. Diana already has a mild interest in driving it to a BugOut next year. It would be good to see the car in show form again. :)

Hopefully, I'll have a few reports to make over the following weeks or months.

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 PG 5m Jetta GL Sedan, 2003 RS 5m Jetta GLS Wagon (Golf Variant)
loved watching your stealth threads throughout the years. Was wondering if you could help answer a few questions about stuff you've done in the last couple years.

hey so my mk4 sat for too long and i got a leak and it's filled with pine straw in the engine and dirty. since you just went through something similar with yours, what's the best method of cleaning out all the crap? just picking it out by hand? also, what cleaner did you use for your engine ( i know it was a couple years ago) and would you recommend replacing all the door/window seals?

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
When I cleaned the engine bay two years ago, I vacuumed every nook and cranny, then I used a foam applicator (a garden sprayer, actually) to apply a coat of Dawn dish detergent all over the engine bay. I let it soak, rinsed, and blew it dry with my shop vac (a leaf blower works, too). I finished up by starting it to warm up the engine to dry the rest.

I hit the engine bay and intake plenum with a vacuum last weekend. Now I know where the ants had set up shop. There were lots of leaves in the intake plenum; the ants had established quite a fortress in there. They're plenty upset now. :p

I wouldn't bother with the door seals unless you suspect leaks or can actually see the deterioration. My door seals are still original.

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 PG 5m Jetta GL Sedan, 2003 RS 5m Jetta GLS Wagon (Golf Variant)
oh ok. i have a huge amount of ants but all i see are the trails, specifically the one between the door seal from the trunk to the hood. I will check the intake plenum.. but it needs a lot of cleaning.. and there is a leak, i think from somewhere on the firewall... soaks the driver's side floor every time it rains. no sunroof. anyway. thanks for the help and advice.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
The Kiss of Death:

This was hiding beneath the undercoating in the front wheel wells. Between the strut towers and the fuel filler area, I'm at the end of my desire to rehabilitate this car. I've seen some very good rust repairs go to hell in just a few years... seems to be a curse with the Mk3s. I was going to fix it for my daughter to drive, but I think she would be better off with a newer car that's in better shape.

Now I just have to decide what to do with the car. The engine still runs, starts fast every time, even after sitting for months. I have lots of extra parts that I could either sell with the car or separately. I don't want to part out the car... no time for dealing with it. :(

After 18 years of StealthTDI, I'm about to have a house with no TDIs at all. Breaking up is hard to do. ;)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
That's sad to see, Scott. My son had to sell his '98 because rust was too advanced. When our guru said he wasn't able to put it on a lift we knew the time had come. The drivetrain lives on in a Vanagon. Although he didn't drive his nearly as far as you it was his first car for ten years. It's sad to see them go.

I swapped the snows off IBW yesterday and was happy to see the rust repair from four years ago still looks as good as when it left the shop. They did a great job, but it was expensive. Good thing I still love the car.

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 sprinter. 03 jetta wagon premium with 6 speed ALH swap, 14 JSW
It’s sad to see.
At least you’ve still got a VW.

I’m sure I’ll be in the same boat rust wise in a few years on my MKIV.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
I don't think so. Rustproofing in the MKIV cars is vastly better than the MKIIIs.
That's good to know. So far, I haven't had rusting problems with my MKIV TDI. Sad to see Stealth TDI seeing its last days.

I've come to the point that I'm thinking that my TDI is likely the one and only diesel I'll own thanks to Dieselgate and VWs decision not to bring new diesels to the U.S. anytime soon.

I swapped the snows off IBW yesterday
Seems a bit early for that, IBW.

Last edited:

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the link, Peter. Not really that determined to save the car, especially not for $1100 plus labor and the very real chance of rust returning soon. I'm drafting a F/S post and will probably list it in a part-out thread.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
The car is gone:

It was more emotional for my wife than me. Here she gives the car a hug before it leaves...

Our last look at the car...

Good news: Before the car left, my daughter got to drive it around the neighborhood. It was a good send-off for the car that brought her home from the hospital when she was born. :)

It was a great run!

Scott

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I'm sure it's sad to see it go, Scott. I sometimes wonder what it'll be like when I finally have to part company with IBW. Only 16 years for me, but it's hard for me to imagine not having it. Hope the new 1.4T helps you adjust.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
The end of an era. At least it will continue to provide valuable transport for the new owner. I'm probably not quite as attached to my '11 -but knowing it will be crushed if I take the buyback, is making what should be an easy decision tough.

luke.weiser

TDI
1998 Jetta MK3
Bummer dude. Kudos to you for keeping it on the road for so long. You've been a great help to me during my Mk3 rebuild and modding. After seeing your response to the filler neck and front strut, I'm starting to have doubts about whether to even bother fixing the body up. I have the same issues as almost every Mk3 owner, only my rust is worse. I had big plans for my Jetty, but I may dump them and swap the engine into something safer and drier in the rain (lol).
Pay attention. You guys could see a 1990 Corolla Alltrac AHU swap thread pop up in the coming months

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks!

The new owner bought the car so he could pull the engine and save it as a spare for his B4, which he drove here when he first inspected and drove my car. He seems like a good man and actually talked me into researching repairs a little more seriously. He really didn't want to dismantle my car. New research revealed body shop estimates in the $10k range (including paint), which doesn't include the need for brakes, tie-rods, A/C, alignment, and whatever else cropped up during restoration. The car was $16k when new; no way I'm shelling out $10k on it now.

If you see a green Mk3 part out in VA or KY later this year, it may be my car. She had a good run!

Perhaps the sadder news is a potential end to StealthTDI.com. My wife's TDI will be up for buyback soon. Once there are no TDIs in my home, there seems to be little need to have StealthTDI.com. I'll probably add some sort of "Past VWs" page at StealthGTI.com, sort of like this one: http://www.stealthtdi.com/OtherVWs.html, but with photo albums. That is where my TDIs will live on... and in my fondest of memories. The downside is all of the photos I've hosted over the past 20 years will disappear. :eek:

Scott

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I found StealthTDI when I was shopping for my first VW TDI back in the early '00s. I corresponded with Scott and picked his brain about the cars and what it took to keep them running. He was very polite and helpful. Because of his reassurances, I bought IBW in May of '02. It resulted in joining this community, purchase of a bunch more TDIs and IDParts, and a career change for me. Scott, you and StealthTDI have a big role in starting all that. But nothing is forever. And you're still driving VWs.

Thanks.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks, Peter! Sometimes I forget that my site influenced a lot of members here. I've been laying low for so long that most of the group has no idea who I am these days. Now that I'm driving gassers, I think some here view me as a vegan who decided to try honey. HAHA!

I have my most recent topics subscribed and can still be reached via PM. So, although I don't visit as much, I'm not totally out of touch. :)

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Looks like the Wayback Machine backed it up on 3/7. Nothing's changed in a while, although I need to update the pages with the recent exodus of TDIs from my collection.

hitman1985

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI ALH
Reallyyyy....
Sry 4 OT. But your page is honestly one of the key reasons why I jumped into the TDI world . Even though I've always owned gassers of every generation mk1 through mk5 and a few Audi's. Just saying you got my respect for such detail and straight honest opinions and experiences with the cars and parts. Once again sorry for the off topic but I had to.
Thanks, Peter! Sometimes I forget that my site influenced a lot of members here. I've been laying low for so long that most of the group has no idea who I am these days. Now that I'm driving gassers, I think some here view me as a vegan who decided to try honey. HAHA!

I have my most recent topics subscribed and can still be reached via PM. So, although I don't visit as much, I'm not totally out of touch. :)
Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Tdipower86

TDI
98 Jetta AHU, 03 golf tdi ALH
Stealth TDI sorry for your loss. When I first got my 98 TDI I started looking at YouTube and came across your videos and used them as inspiration as what I can do with a mk3. I saw where you were at Fentress and other local spots but had no clue you were living this close. Im no where near your power level was but you have to start somewhere. If you ever start to have TDI withdraws I'm just across the river from you and you can share your knowledge on performance mods.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
I just learned that my old website, StealthTDI dot com, is now a Thai gambling website. HAHA! I'm not sure how or why that happened. Was my site popular in Thailand? ;)