Flashing Glow-Plug Indicator?

Kato

Veteran Member
I was driving home today and the yellow glow-plug indicator light started flashing and wouldn't stop. I checked the user manual and all it said about this condition was to have the engine management system checked by the dealer.

Anyone know of a "most likely cause" for this? Burnt out glow-plug perhaps?

Thanks for your help,
Kato

Kato

Veteran Member
Thanks. I suppose I should update my FAQ copy here at home as it's circa 01'.

Checked my brake lights and all three are out. From the FAQ it must be either "a faulty or improperly adjusted brake light switch or a blown fuse for the brake lights"

I'm going to check the fuse and if that's not the case then I may need some help locating the brake light switch.

Cheers,
Kato

Kato

Veteran Member
Checked the fuse box for any fuses resembling lights and found none burnt out. Does anybody know which fuse number is the correct one just so I can be sure?

Cheers,
Kato

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE

Mark D.

All of my bulbs for brakes burnt out at nearly the same time, causing the cruise control to stop working. Check the bulbs too. I thought it was very strange that it happened that way.

Kato

Veteran Member
Weird ... I'll check that too. (the bulbs)
Just checked fuse 13 and it's ok.

If it's the brake light switch how do I "check" that? ... or should I just take it into the dealer?

Kato

Kato

Veteran Member
The bulb on the left was burnt out. The one on the right was ok. Didn't check the hatch as that looked more complicated.

Would just the one bulb burning out cause the other two lights to malfucntion? .. and give me this flashing glow plug indicator?

Kato

Kato

Veteran Member
I bought a new bulb for the left side, replaced, and still no brake lights.

Should I check that hatch brake light? (How do I get in there?) or could this not possibly be the cause. Perhaps it's the "faulty or improperly adjusted brake light switch". Does anyone know how I could check this or should I just take it to the dealer?

Kato

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
If you have had brake lights in the past, and no one has changed or removed the switch, then the switch is probably properly adjusted. It very likely is broken.

I believe it's under the brake pedal, and has a plunger on it that is pushed in by you when you step on the brake. I believe it comes off easily - take a look. If you can get to the connectors where it sits, even better since the leverage of the brake pedal may make pushing it in easier. If you can get to the wires, you should be able to check it with you multi-tester. You should find infinite resistance when the plunger is out, and almost no resistance when you push it. If the resistance does not change, i.e. infinite or always close to 0, the brake lights will change their status. I don't know how the switch failing could destroy all of the light bulbs, but perhaps it is possible.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Use VAG-COM to see Group 006 measuring blocks.

Group 006 (test with ignition switch on)

Speed
Brake pedal monitor
Cruise control system
Cruise control system (indicates if activated, 0 = activated but switched off, 1 = activated, switched on, 255 = not activated)

Cruise control system left digit: Clutch switch closed (clutch not depressed) = 0, 1 = clutch depressed
Cruise control system middle digit: CC/DFI brake pedal switch open (brake pedal depressed) = 1, 0 = pedal not depressed
Cruise control system right digit: brake light switch depressed pedal = 1, not depressed = 0

Right cruise control system 6 digit display has a 1, left to right, when:
Clutch operated
Brake pedal operated
Resume speed operated on the switch
Acceleration operated on the switch
Cruise control and memory switched off
Cruise control system switched on

Kato

Veteran Member
rdkern,

Sorry for the delay ... my hdd crashed. And here's what happened:

I removed the brake light switch and behold the brake lights went on. Pushing the little plunger in turned them off. Seemed fine. However, when put back into place it didn't work properly. As I'm not an electronics person (no mutlimeter) I decided to cruise on over to VW and purchase a new switch ($14 CDN). Works perfectly now.

One more thing though. In addition to having the left brake light out, the one in the middle is out as well. I took a look and it seems hard to get at. Do I have to "un-snap" that light grey piece to get at it? (and very carefully as it seems to be in there real tight)

Kato