Putting an auto transmission back into alh tdi

MeekMetlin

TDI
99 mk4 alh tdi
I’m new to this whole vw stuff and I’ve come to a fork in the road.

I had to replace a rear crank seal on my 99 tdi and that requires me to pull the transmission off, after doing that and replacing the seal I had to put it all back together (the hard part) and I’d like to think I’ve done alright so far but I’m stuck where I am now and need help;

The flywheel with the transmission loosely bolted on and the transmission mount bolts on, doesn’t spin freely any longer and I’m wondering if that’s normal or if I need to fix something I have the shift linkage back on and also wondering if that has something to do with it? Inside the car it’s in neutral so it should spin shouldn’t it? Also is there anything I should keep in mint moving forward? It’s been months in the making and I’m just trying to get it done so I can enjoy my car

Thanks in advance, Brad
(Newbie with a dream)

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
The flywheel doesn't spin freely any longer?

The flywheel - a.k.a. flex plate on an automatic transmission with a torque converter, which is what yours has - is bolted to the crankshaft of the engine, so it had better not spin freely.

The flex plate is meant to be bolted to the torque converter, and at that point the whole torque converter won't spin, because the whole outer housing of it is secured to the flex plate.

If you really meant to say something else ...

On automatic transmissions with torque converters, there are multiple sets of splines on the transmission input shaft which ALL have to line up and be engaged with the corresponding splines on the torque converter. Be ABSOLUTELY sure these splines are correctly engaged before you start attaching the transmission to the engine. Now, I've never done this on a VW transmission but on a good old school GM or Mopar, you did this by rotating the torque converter housing gently by hand while gently pushing it back towards the transmission. One set of splines goes "kunk" and the torque converter moves in partway along the input shaft, then you continue rotating it by hand until "kunk" you hear and feel the second set of splines engage and the torque converter seats fully.

If you don't do that and you attempt to put it together with the splines not correctly seated, bad stuff happens and you break stuff if you try to force it.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Once the studs on the Torque Converter engage the holes in the Drive Plate, it (TC) cannot be rotated freely (engine must rotate with it).

Make sure that the TC is properly seated into the splined shaft(s) of the transmission.

EDIT: Sorry GoFaster, I typed this short response but never hit post until later. Anyway, looks like you covered it well!

Last edited:

MeekMetlin

TDI
99 mk4 alh tdi
The flywheel doesn't spin freely any longer?

The flywheel - a.k.a. flex plate on an automatic transmission with a torque converter, which is what yours has - is bolted to the crankshaft of the engine, so it had better not spin freely.

The flex plate is meant to be bolted to the torque converter, and at that point the whole torque converter won't spin, because the whole outer housing of it is secured to the flex plate.

If you really meant to say something else ...

On automatic transmissions with torque converters, there are multiple sets of splines on the transmission input shaft which ALL have to line up and be engaged with the corresponding splines on the torque converter. Be ABSOLUTELY sure these splines are correctly engaged before you start attaching the transmission to the engine. Now, I've never done this on a VW transmission but on a good old school GM or Mopar, you did this by rotating the torque converter housing gently by hand while gently pushing it back towards the transmission. One set of splines goes "kunk" and the torque converter moves in partway along the input shaft, then you continue rotating it by hand until "kunk" you hear and feel the second set of splines engage and the torque converter seats fully.

If you don't do that and you attempt to put it together with the splines not correctly seated, bad stuff happens and you break stuff if you try to force it.
I had somebody come over and help who’s a bit more experienced than me and he got everything lined up for me, but I chose some poor words, it doesn’t spin freely but rather at all, when I try to rotate the crank shaft pulley nothing happens so I’m wondering can I keep going? Is that supposed to be like that even in neutral?

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
If the converter isn't in all the way you wont be able to turn the engine around in order to tighten the torque converter nuts. If you force it and make it happen with the converter not in all the way then you will destroy the pump and converter as you bolt it up.

You need to pull the trans back out and make sure the converter is in all the way. See the following link.
http://kansascitytdi.com/01m-torque-converter-installed-depth/

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
And you have to carefully line the studs up on the drive plate as you put the transmission in. I reach through the starter hole and wiggle the converter back and forth as I am going in to make certain it is never in a bind.

It all has to come together squarely too. Sounds like you've got something in a bind, and if the trans case and engine are already tight together, you've damaged something already.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
The bolts being "loosely tightened" doesn't mean anything. If everything is lined up correctly the transmission will sit flush with the block with no bolts if it is supported. If you think you are going to Draw it in with the bolts, don't. The replies you got here are sage advice.

Last edited: