15 NOV 2008 Langley GTG

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
Let's start it around 11

If your on the list and bringing something else let me know, just kinda assumed :)

1. doc_m (eric) bbq and Coffee
2. Bosley (dennis) Burgers, buns and ice
3. turbine (ryan) samosa's
4. meangreen (sometimes called Harald) sausages and beer
5. NJ home brew and misc breads.
6. icecap (Frank) beer and snacks

Looks like we will be able to have some nozzles available thanks to Mark Malone at Diesel Inside (quadcomm)

FYI i can get oil, fuel, air and cabin filter set for $65 as usual and just got word that elf is $39. for the 5L jug
Let me know and i can point ya in the right direction. Paul can be reached at (604) 532-7939

Last edited:

icecap

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta TDI 5Spd Black Anthracite Pkg 1
I'll be there and I will be bringing my new Vag-Com hex+can :) as it is currently in transit from Roseland Technical.

3800rpmDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta Wgn 5spd w/ mods, '03 Wgn 5spd stock, '05 Passat Wgn - chainless.
Hey guys:

Well i'm gonna finally make the trek from Salmon Arm down to the mainland next weekend (nov 8/9) to visit some friends. There's a chance it may not be until the 15/16 when your GTG is, but most likely it will be the 8/9.

I need to get my timing adjusted - right now it's at about 43. i'd like it to be in the low 50's instead. with the cool mornings setting in, there have been a few times that it has cranked for a while before starting.......

I think this is both a mechanical and computer (via vagcom) adjustment - am I wrong? I don't have Vag professional, so can't even do that on my own......

Have any of you done this before?, and will be around next w/e?.........

meangreen

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Hey guys sorry i did not make it out to the last GTG,but unfortunetely i cant make it to this one cause i am going to be in Toronto for training.Like always hope you all have agood time hope too see you all next time.

Harald

icecap

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta TDI 5Spd Black Anthracite Pkg 1
I might not be able to make it this time either Eric. My daughter and significant other were both laid off (having worked for the same company) and are both moving to Kelowna as they have both found a job there. I will be helping them move that weekend if they can get their affairs together by then. My daughter would be working as a managers assistant and baker at the new Tim Horton's in Winfield. If I don't show up that will be the reason otherwise I'll be there.
Frank

whatnxt

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Q5 TDI Premium +
I should be able to make it up for this one too. That is if I get my new DP and exhaust on this weekend. :D

Anone need a slightly used CAT, DP or muffler? Only 67K on 'em.

Frank, do more supervising than lifting.

I know how your daughter feels, Marie just got laid-off also. :mad:

See you all then.

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg
icecap said:
I might not be able to make it this time either Eric. My daughter and significant other were both laid off (having worked for the same company) and are both moving to Kelowna as they have both found a job there. I will be helping them move that weekend if they can get their affairs together by then. My daughter would be working as a managers assistant and baker at the new Tim Horton's in Winfield. If I don't show up that will be the reason otherwise I'll be there.
Frank
Hey Frank, is that the one just off the highway past the airport heading towards Vernon? Or the one at the Mohawk gas station on the way back into Kelowna from the airport? My sister and her family live just up by the Okanagan Golf Club across the highway from the Airport and whenever I go up to visit, those are the 2 I usually hit for my coffee fix! :D

ishmael010

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI
Meeting with Mark Malone.

I'll be coming up to meet with Mark for a tune. This will be my first trip up to the Langley GTG, so I'm looking forward to meeting the BC crew. I'll bring some beer and brats. Looking forward to meeting you all!

Dane (Ishmael010)
doc_m said:
2223 232 street is the address here is a map.

Let's start it around 11

If your on the list and bringing something else let me know, just kinda assumed :)

1. doc_m (eric) bbq and flat of water
2. Bosley (dennis) Burgers, buns and ice
3. turbine (ryan) samosa's
4. meangreen (sometimes called Harald) sausages and beer
5. NJ home brew and misc breads.
6. icecap (Frank) beer and snacks

for those who have never come if your coming from the number 1 head south on 232 for a loong time then when you think you have missed it you are probably getting close and see a tdi gtg sign on the side of the road :) don't forget that the freeway is around 72 ave and we are at 22....

Looks like we will be able to have some nozzles available thanks to Mark Malone at Diesel Inside (quadcomm)

FYI i can get oil, fuel, air and cabin filter set for $65 as usual and just got word that elf is $39. for the 5L jug
Let me know and i can point ya in the right direction.

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well I just had my day off confirmed so I'll be there! I'm not too sure what I'll be bringing, maybe some Timmies coffee and donuts.

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
meatwagon said:
count me in, eric can you pick me up a jug of oil???i need to do a change, i have the filter kit already.
give paul at autobahn a call he can get it for you :)

whatnxt

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Q5 TDI Premium +
Well, I have a few issues with the new DP so I will not be there tomorrow.:mad::mad:

Take care of Dane. He'll be a "first timer" to Langley and there for a tune from Mark.

Have fun and take care.

Jorry

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It was great seeing everyone again, and meeting a few new people too. Sorry I was only there for a brief visit but I had to be back home in time for a previous engagement tonight.

meatwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
yeah eric thanks again, thanks for all the help everyone with my filter/oil change, maybe next time i can get my chip tuned as well! see ya!

ishmael010

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI
Great GTG!

Eric et al-
I had a blast, met a bunch of great people, and now have the power I was looking for - thanks for the tune and expertise, Mark!
Dane
Bosley said:
Thanks again Eric for another great GTG with good people.

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
Hey part time Okanagan folks!!! Can you tell me about driving in your locale in the winter?

I want to ski at Silverstar this winter. I have Nokian WRs on with decent tread depth. Please tell me how to judge the weather and best routes to vernon/silverstar to avoid messes and stay safe.

If the coq is being dumped is the fraser canyon a viable alternative or do I need to cancel my trip?

Should I bypass kelowna and drive to kamloops and then over to Vernon? I plan to do this mid January. Does the BC road website give the best info? Were do you get the best www road update info?

thanks

-David

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My suggestion if the Coquihala is closed is to take the #3 highway until you get to Keremeos then take the turn off to head towards Penticton and drive north along 97 until you go through Kelowna and end up in Vernon. It ay take you about an extra hour if road conditions are equal compared to the #5 but when the Coquihala is a mess (and it can change very quickly!!!) then you'll end up with much better driving conditions and your driving time evens out.

I've been driving back and forth to the Okanagan about 8-10 times a year for the past 14 years so I know the #3 Crowsnest highway like the back of my hand. About 4 years ago, my sister moved to Kelowa so I've had a lot of opportunities to compare the driving time and road conditions of the #5 and the #3 and when the weather gets really bad, I'll drive south from Kelowna and get onto the #3 instead of risking the #5.

To give you an example of how drastic the weather change on the #5 can be, last winter I was in Kelowna with my kids visiting my sister. She and her husband had to head to Vancouver for an appointment and we were going to be about an hour behind them, so we were all going to meet up at the Ferry Terminal. My brother-in-law called from the toll booths to tell me that the roads the entire way were fine. By the time we got there (we ended up being 49 minutes behind according to our time-stamped toll receipts) there was nearly a foot of snow and cars and semis were all over the road!!

As for the most current highway conditions, www.drivebc.ca is a great website that has webcams that you can click on located throughout the province on the main highways. Of course, the best bet is the stop in Hope at one of the busier gas stations (I usually hit the Chevron) and ask the attendants if they've heard anything. They'll usually have some info from the people travelling down or from the truckers hauling loads through.

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
Ed, google map driving time from my place to Silverstar is 5h19. What type of allowances should I make for winter conditions?

I have minimum experience snow driving on the highway, never over the coq. If there is snow under tire does traffic do 60 instead of 120 should I allow double time time from toll booth to vernon?

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I can tell you right now that any mapping site like Google Maps or Map Quest is going to give you some weird driving times. From my sister's place on the north end of Kelowna near the airport, only about 45 minutes from Vernon, to Vancouver is only about 4-4.5 hours with normal road conditions. I'd say add another hour tops if the conditions aren't ideal. Worst case it'll take you about 6 hours tops with snow on the ground.

Oh and I just did a quick Google Map of the route from 200th St @ #1 highway to Silverstar and came up with 4 hrs 50 min, just for curiousity. Seems about right to me.

Bosley

Veteran Member
TDI
06 TDI Wagon (A4)
I've always found that the winter situation's that will catch you off guard are those between the toll (what was) booth and Hope (can continue on to the Sumas exit) or from Manning Park to Hope.

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
Thanks for the ongoing tips guys. I find it really useful to get this insider info before striking new ground in the winter like this.