ALH - .658 gears on the way - bump in power?

Wankel7

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Noozles or a tune?

Just ordered the gear set from Darkside Developments. My wagon is stock otherwise.

I was thinking either http://www.dbwllc.net/store/products/dlc-520/ or a Malone 1.5 tune to give the car a little more power for the .658 5th gear.

I have no intention/desire of changing the clutch out so I don't want to go with too much power.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Last edited:

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Just ordered the gear set from Darkside Developments. My wagon is stock otherwise.

I was thinking either http://www.dbwllc.net/store/products/dlc-520/ or a Malone 1.5 tune to give the car a little more power for the .658 5th gear.

I have no intention/desire of changing the clutch out so I don't want to go with too much power.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

You should look at the EuroTuning 6 speed conversion before you install the long 5th gear. I used to run the long 5th gear modification. This is a much better solution, at least for me. My stock turbo boost is turned up to 18/19 lbs with 110 hp injectors.

See this long thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=346876

Kevinski4

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
If you are running stock nozzles, your only option for a tune is Stage 1. Stage 1.5 is for cars that have upgraded injectors.

You will want a tune to go with the taller 5th gear. My daily driver has a .681 and Stage 1. It was a dog in 5th gear without the tune.

Wankel7

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
If you are running stock nozzles, your only option for a tune is Stage 1. Stage 1.5 is for cars that have upgraded injectors.

You will want a tune to go with the taller 5th gear. My daily driver has a .681 and Stage 1. It was a dog in 5th gear without the tune.
Ah I see that now thank you for pointing it out. If I did the Stage 1 tune and later did nozzles what would be the charge to go to a 1.5 tune?

Sc0

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Golf GL 5sp Candy White Tan cloth interior
.681 was fine with .205 injectors but needed to downshift often for passing power which negated the hope for mileage savings. A better solution was 3.15R&P and stock 5th gear...

Wankel7

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Well, as much fun as it is having folks telling what I should have done when I have already bought the gear ..... :)

I have no hope for better FE just wanted a quieter cabin during cruise.

Anyways, I am going to go with a Stage 1 Malone tune. I will post up with my thoughts.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
The stage 1 is best for stock injectors. The 1.5 works nicely with my PP764 and stock turbo. The .658 work fine with either but you will have to wind 4th a little higher before shifting (unless you're going downhill) lol. I'm happy with my .658 until the finances allow a 6sp.

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 sprinter. 03 jetta wagon premium with 6 speed ALH swap, 14 JSW
If it was ME I would upgrade nozzles with drivebiwire and stick to stock tune.

Your stickers are worn with however many miles that you have on them, may as we'll go that route.

FYI: Ryan sells tunes also.

Last edited: