Compounds for the Passat

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Hm, interesting.
In the mechanical world I'm from where there's no injection timing advance that isn't an issue, actually it probably compensates a little bit for the lack of advance at higher RPM. :rolleyes:

Well, I'm tuned in for future updates. Oh and JFettig, if you find yourself needing a plasma cutter again sometime just send a PM or something. Got a portable one and forest lake ain't far off.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Little more work done tonight, just need to get a longer burr and to clean up the insides.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Thanks Jay! Those DSM flanges are odd looking for sure. I went with that exhaust housing so it would fit in the engine bay!

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
added a 5 star vote for one of the best TDI street compound turbo set-ups I have seen. nice work. :) I wish it was on a PD, but look forward to seeing what you can do on the ALH.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Thanks Louis!
I still have that PD130 I'm slowly working on :)

Only worked part day yesterday because it was so nice out so I worked on the car.

Downpipe pretty much done:

modded a spare valve cover for -10AN CCV port.

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta CR140, 2010 Corvette Z06
Awesome work John, cant wait to see it running.. and showing off your hard work.

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
IBIZA 1.9TDI 110hp AFN 1998
What a good idea. That valve cover looks awesome. Nice doing!

duwem

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI 5 Speed
One month till Door Country Cruise, looking good man!

glitdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Tdi asv motor in a mk3 golf, om642 in a wk jeep
John.. I dont know what I like better your machining skills or your welding skills.. either way both are amazing!
Are you planning on using the "smart sensor" portion of the vane actuator on your hp turbo? Just noticed its still kicking around...

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta

The smart sensor came stock on that turbo and they aren't available without, It won't get plugged into anything.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Since my last post I dropped the trans and swapped oil pans but nothing else so far. I have a 24lb 240mm flywheel and 8 puck ceramic disk to go in when I find time. I forgot I needed to replace my pilot bearing - just got that in.

It will probably be a week or two until I get a chance to put some time into it.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Progress has been made over the past month, not a significant amount - which is sad because I probably only have 10 hours of wrenching/fabbing at most left to do.

Had to make a new battery cable, the old one was ratty and ran right next to one of the turbos

Filled a new trans mount because the old one just can't do the job

Took up some gap in the snub mount to stiffen it all up

Did lots of other stuff like install a metal slave and new master, etc.
Here is how it sat last night

duwem

Veteran Member
TDI
Awesome, I was just thinking yesterday I should dig this thread up and bump it to see whats going on. Keep us posted!

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
wideband is perfect for TDi fine tuning!

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Made some progress tonight. I'll only have tomorrow to work on it until probably Tuesday. I could probably push to start it tomorrow but I'd rather button up things nicely so it'll wait until next week since I'll be busy all weekend.

Finished the downpipe tonight:

What a pain that was to connect 2 ends so close together with the car on jackstands. I don't know how Whitbread does so many of these!

All welded up:

Connected to the top half of the downpipe:

Good shot of how the wastegate is nicely accessible.

Tomorrow I make my double banjo bolt as well as my drive pressure adapter that will plug into the BV43 using the EGT port and a oil pan drain plug. I'm skipping the EGT probe for now. I might install one once I start cranking it up.

Last edited:

duwem

Veteran Member
TDI
Dat Downpipe :eek:

So do you use a standard gasoline wide band sensor and reader like an AFX or Innovate, or are they special for Diesel?

What kind of air/fuel ratio are you looking for for crusing and hard acceleration?

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Its a Bosch LSU4.2 widband which is pretty much standard. Its an Innovate MTX-L gauge, it'll read to 99:1 AFR. There is a Bosch wideband sensor that is diesel specific but it doesn't seem to be available with any gauges or anything from what I found.

The readings are whatever you want them to be ;) I tuned my previous setup to cruise just under 30:1 AFR and WOT at 17:1 AFR. I'm not sure I'll be able to get it down to 30:1 cruising with compounds but that will be my goal to keep it under for the least amount of exhaust back pressure which helps mileage.

I have all my sensors fed into a data acquisition system so I can log boost(hp, and lp), exhaust pressure, intake temps, wideband, etc.