Success! - ALLTRACK Springs on Mk7 Sportwagen TDI = 2" Lift!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I'd go with Koni Yellows or Special Actives. The damping on OE struts and shocks may be inadequate. You could try and source Alltrack OE dampers but I'm not sure rear fitment is the same. I'd replace front and rear mounts, but you should be able to swap over the bump stops and boots.

jdstrd

TDI
2015 GSW TDI x2
I did this lift with Koni FSD's. Rides awesome.I added Firestone Coil Rite bags to it also.Stock suspension would be pretty harsh, would be my guess.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
does idparts carry/get a hold of konis Special Actives for the mk7? specifically the 55mm front struts?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
We have fronts and rears on order, arriving soon. I believe the TDIs use 50mm struts, however, so we won't be stocking the 55s.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
We have fronts and rears on order, arriving soon. I believe the TDIs use 50mm struts, however, so we won't be stocking the 55s.
Peter, are the Special Active rears on order for the twist beam or IRS? Just following up on a previous inquiry about the unavailability of the rears.

tdi_hatch

TDI
2015 Golf TDI
I'd go with Koni Yellows or Special Actives. The damping on OE struts and shocks may be inadequate. You could try and source Alltrack OE dampers but I'm not sure rear fitment is the same. I'd replace front and rear mounts, but you should be able to swap over the bump stops and boots.
Thank you sir! I'll definitely replace the mounts. I'm thinking I'll go with the special actives.

I did this lift with Koni FSD's. Rides awesome.I added Firestone Coil Rite bags to it also.Stock suspension would be pretty harsh, would be my guess.
I'm seriously considering this. How long did everything take you? Did you install on a lift?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Chris, we're ordering twist beam rear Special Actives. We were ready to special order them from Koni, but they decided to stock them in the US. We don't have an arrival date yet.

fase2000TDI

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jettawagon TDI; 2015 GSW 6MT
I wonder how much different Bilstein TC's all around with the AllTrack springs would handle.

Is the MKVII rear wagon shock different than the MKVII Golf hatchback shock like in the MKIV's? If not it looks like Rock Auto already has the rears available - but no Bilstein for the fronts.

Peter - what's your thoughts on the MKVII control arm bushings? They look to be the same style as the MKIV with the thinner areas. Any VW/Audi cars that use the same size bushing like we did on the MKIV's and the TT control arm bushing?

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Don't know how the car will handle with different dampers. One thing I've learned is it's a mistake to extrapolate how one car handles with a certain damper to another platform. It usually doesn't work out. For example, I've found that MKIII cars ride great with TCs, MKIVs ride more harshly, IMO. So you'd have to try it and see what you think.

We haven't investigated the bushings yet, but VW seems to have more model-specific suspension components now than previously. I suspect Rock Auto shows two rear shocks because one is for IRS and one is for the beam axle. I don't think there's any difference in the rear shocks between the GSW and Golf TDIs.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I wonder how much different Bilstein TC's all around with the AllTrack springs would handle.

Is the MKVII rear wagon shock different than the MKVII Golf hatchback shock like in the MKIV's? If not it looks like Rock Auto already has the rears available - but no Bilstein for the fronts.

Peter - what's your thoughts on the MKVII control arm bushings? They look to be the same style as the MKIV with the thinner areas. Any VW/Audi cars that use the same size bushing like we did on the MKIV's and the TT control arm bushing?

Lots of MBQ LCA stuff can be swapped with S3/R including cast subframe rather than the stamped steel.

I believe Whiteline and Super Pro make replacement LCA, that should bolt up to the 50mm knucles of the Golf.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
My guess is a Golf SE would sit very tall in back with the Alltrack rear springs. Alltrack fronts with stock GSW rears may work.

Dwcool1990

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI
I saw that the rear of the gsw gets a 1.5 inch lift with the alltrack springs, but how much does it lift the front?

jetcapdan

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI
Hello, I have a 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI with 225/40R18 tires. I want to take it onto dirt roads with pot holes and on snow. The body is so low and the rims are so big with low profile tire sidewall, I would trash this thing.
I will not tow anything, but I occasionally load the back up with items and it honestly hasn't been an issue with load capacity, I'm more interested in getting a lift with skinny tires/larger sidewall/smaller diameter rims.
I'm interested in the Alltrack 2" lift idea, and so what kind of high end shocks would help to replace the factory shocks while I'm installing the Alltrack coils? And a good tire maybe 195/60R15 with generic 15" rims?
Thanks for help
Dan

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Hello, I have a 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI with 225/40R18 tires. I want to take it onto dirt roads with pot holes and on snow. The body is so low and the rims are so big with low profile tire sidewall, I would trash this thing.
I will not tow anything, but I occasionally load the back up with items and it honestly hasn't been an issue with load capacity, I'm more interested in getting a lift with skinny tires/larger sidewall/smaller diameter rims.
I'm interested in the Alltrack 2" lift idea, and so what kind of high end shocks would help to replace the factory shocks while I'm installing the Alltrack coils? And a good tire maybe 195/60R15 with generic 15" rims?
Thanks for help
Dan
On my Passat I ditched the factory 18" tires and now am running 16" 215/60/16's.
Very happy with the smoother ride now. And a lot less costly to replace.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
go with 15" wheels and something more like 195-75-15 rubbers, any diameter under 27" for rubbers will fit without rubs.

jetcapdan

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI
Perfect, thanks for the responses! Any ideas on good shocks to pair up with the Alltrack coils? I'll be driving on washboard/pot holes roads.

Thanks

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I'd go with Koni Special Actives. Enough damping to work with the taller springs, and better compliance on bad roads than Bilstein HDs or Koni Yellows.

jetcapdan

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI
Hey guys, so I ordered the Alltrack coils, and the Koni Special Actives for the MK7. Are the original bump stops in the rear sufficient with the height increase?

Dan

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
They'll be fine. Besides, I don't think you have another option.

Thanks for the order!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Atlas bump stops? Either way i think the only reason to change/cut the bump stops is if you're lowering.

Dwcool1990

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI
I really like the idea of adding some height to my ride, but with the all track springs, will the original struts be sufficient in travel, and will I need a camber kit?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
No one has reported needing a camber kit. I forget whether or not front camber is adjustable on MK7 cars (isn't on earlier ones) but typically a 1.5-2" lift puts camber near the edge of the acceptable range but not in the red.

nathanso

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI S 6M (sold)
Hey guys, so I ordered the Alltrack coils, and the Koni Special Actives for the MK7. Are the original bump stops in the rear sufficient with the height increase?
Dan
Koni NA's website does not list the Alltrack as one of the Mk7 Golfs their shocks fit. So I'd be wary of topping out due to insufficient shock travel, a problem I had with a set of Konis that supposedly fit an MBZ E420 I owned at one point. Difficult as hell to diagnose since it was so intermittent (but jarring when it did occur).

Dwcool1990

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI
No one has reported needing a camber kit. I forget whether or not front camber is adjustable on MK7 cars (isn't on earlier ones) but typically a 1.5-2" lift puts camber near the edge of the acceptable range but not in the red.
Any idea if these springs will cause the shock to top out?