Replaced DMF clutch - now makes whooping noise when clutch partially depressed

RickandJules

TDI
2003 Golf TDI
2003 Golf TDI with 134k. Just had the DMF replaced with Sachs SMF clutch. It made a big difference in noise and vibration, so the shop ordered a Sachs DMF 70316-01F kit and installed it... now they say it makes a whooping (thumping) sound when the clutch is depressed. They contacted a mechanic at the local VW dealer and he suggested to check the timing belt and asked if it ever broke... nope, replaced at around 70k, and the belt was ok. The guys at the shop have been trying every contact they know to see if anyone can help with this, but haven't had any success in finding a VW TDI guru to help.

Also, the clutch plate is wearing along the outer edge on both the SMF that was removed, and on the DMF (they took it back out to inspect everything).

Any ideas on what could be making the noise? I really like car and would like to keep it for another 100k, but will have to change plans if we can't solve this problem... any new ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Last edited:

Lucas

Veteran Member
TDI
Bora Variant ARL DSG
Check the plate between the engine and gearbox, if that bends, it will rubb against the flywheel.

RickandJules

TDI
2003 Golf TDI
OK, Thanks. I'll pass that on to the guys at the shop.

I had a chance to listen to the new sound last Friday... it sounds like a "thumping" noise whenever the clutch is engaged (even slightly engaged). It is very noticeable by feel through the clutch pedal, and you can hear the thumping as well.

Is there a fix regarding the plate between the engine and gearbox?
I guess I don't understand why it would rub with the DMF clutch and not the SMF...

Last edited:

RickandJules

TDI
2003 Golf TDI
Thanks for the help! I'm not a mechanic, and totally depend on the guys at the shop for their expertise. They said the "fork" was in good shape and didn't need replacing, but we never discussed a "clutch release lever". (are they the same thing?) I'll ask the guys if they think that might be causing the thumping when the clutch is released (pedal depressed) and see if he recalls anything unusual about the clutch release lever or possible damage to it...

Thanks again.

Last edited:

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
If the noise goes away when you remove the clutch slave cylinder and run the engine, then it is very likely that the release arm is the problem. Also, if your FW was bad enough to cause the engine/car to shake or vibrate then there is almost no question that the release arm (fork) suffered some damage.

Unless one removes the arm from it's clip in the bell housing of the trans, it is somewhat hard to determine it's condition.

I have a picture of a bent arm sitting next to a straight one. I can't upload it here from my cell phone but I could email it to someone who can.

Did I once have to pull the trans and replace the arm after I finished a clutch job? Yes, I did. But it only took me 3 hrs the second time since I didn't have to mess with the clutch assembly the 2nd time.

Last edited:

RickandJules

TDI
2003 Golf TDI
Thanks! I'll pass that tip along, too. It's currently just making a low-level thumping sound and vibration when the clutch pedal is depressed. Do you think driving the car would cause further damage? The clutch is usually engaged most of the time when the car is running...

It would be really good to get this problem fixed so I can use the car instead of letting it sit in the driveway until we come up with a consensus on the problem...

Thanks again,

Rick.

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
I reread your orig. post.

Can't actually tell if yur DMF actually failed or not.

A car with a bent release arm really makes quite a racket when you disengage the clutch.

Perhaps you could post audio/video of the sound.

Croberts

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2003, Silver
Jasontdi in Madison replaced that same part on my failed DMF (original at 246,000 miles)that he replaced on Monday. I went with the SMF that idparts had on sale recently and love it. So smooth and no vibrations, the original was a mess and Jason had a real battle getting it out but as always he was super thorough and great to deal with.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Yep. The arm was tweaked about 1-2mm.

Pretty common if the flywheel was jacked over and locked. It you are or were feeling a vibration all the time the flywheel had failed and locked over about 3/4" They are not strait and will bend things. It gets worse the longer you leave it to it's own devices. Engine mounts, the diff can get rubbed through etc.

Pleasure as always Chris. You and your bride are always welcome for coffee.

RickandJules

TDI
2003 Golf TDI
Thanks again for the help with ideas for a fix on this... it's really not a huge problem anymore and most noticeable during the top 1/3 of travel of the clutch pedal. You almost have to be looking for it to know it's there...

Anyway, I can check with the guys at the shop to see if they think it would be worthwhile to pull it one more time to replace the clutch release lever...

Thanks again,

osoonikum

TDI
1999 VW Bora 1,9 TDI AHF
I think i have the same problem, when driving and shifting the gear and releasing the clutch pedal, whooping (thumping) sound can be heard, usually there is no sound(could be few days without hearing it), sometimes it´s quite loud or barely heard. Also noticed when pressing clutch pedal some vibration is felt. And in winter when cold, vibration felt when sitting in the car and ticking or knocking sound coming from transmission area, it disappears when revving a bit or after a minute or so idling. No sound in summer. Knocking sound and little vibration felt when slowing down in neutral(clutch pedal released) just at low speed before complete stopping(doesen´t matter whether summer or winter). I think that the knocking sound comes from bad DMF but the whooping sound...should i be concerned about release arm (fork) suffered some damage?

Until founding this post i thought that this whooping sound is only DMF related. Is there any vw OEM part no. to release arm (fork)? Planning to replace DMF with SMF because i am using quick launches etc quite often and another DMF wouldn´t last long. I d like to use my TDI torque without worrying about expensive and fragile DMF.

great forum and TDI gurus here;)

Last edited: