Mazda still in the diesel game?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
We've all heard that before so I'll believe it when I see it.
Me too. When I was car shopping recently I looked at the Mazda CX5 and I asked about when the diesels would finally show up. The sales manager said that they expected to start getting them in February. Unfortunately I didn't fit well in the CX5, so I decided not to wait for a possible diesel Mazda.

Have Fun!

Don

jnecr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d
How long have they been promising diesel Mazdas? At least 5 years it feels like, still no diesel available. Like you, I'll believe when I see it.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Seems like it's been longer than 5 years but it just maybe my brain lumping it in with all the other "our diesel is coming to America" promises. I'm waiting to see how much Ford is going to upcharge for the diesel in the F150.

Ram wants $4770 US. Chevy wants $3980 US for the Colorado. GM wants $4375 US for the Canyon.

wxman

Veteran Member
TDI
Other Diesel
I received a response to my inquiry about the Sky-D from Mazda North American Operations in November 2011 (6 years ago). Their reply was that there WILL be a Mazda diesel in the U.S. in 15-18 months (from November 2011).

soot1

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none. Formerly: 2010 VW Jetta TDI 6M, 1993 Dodge Ram W250 Cummins 5M 4WD, 1990 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1986 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1980 VW Uabbit Diesel 4M. Currently driving 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD.
Earlier this year, Mazda's web site listed the CX-5 diesel under the "Future Vehicles" tab with a comment that the vehicle would be available in late 2017. This note is no longer there. Mazda really needs to check the dictionary for the meaning of the word "credibility".

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
Remember folks, tomorrow is always a day away.

gcodori

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 NB TDI plus CPO 2013 Passat TDI SEL Prem.
Lol.

I waited for the Mazda 6 diesel and ended up buying a 2013 passat TDI instead. 60k miles later just traded the tdi in for a 535D M SPORT.

Both the partnership with Toyota (fuel cell and hybrid) and the announcement of the next gen skyactiv motors pretty much killed the idea of a Mazda diesel.

It.
Will.
Never.
Happen.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Trying to find people to buy them I imagine.

wxman

Veteran Member
TDI
Other Diesel
The next step is to get EPA certification (which should be just a formality), and fuel economy ratings.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.

wxman

Veteran Member
TDI
Other Diesel
The cert I linked is CARB's (I probably should have noted that). EPA hasn't listed the cert on their web site yet.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
True. Lately we haven't been feeling much pain at the pump- as evidenced by the vehicles that are selling best. I was really excited about the skyactiv d in 2011. The seven years since have tempered that excitement considerably.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
And most likley the Mazda 6 will not be available in a wagon version like the rest of the world with common sense :-(

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
I am waiting for the blown compression ignition gas engine on the next Mazda 3. It's got a better chance than the diesel and will be available with 3 pedals. Waiting to see what the MPG numbers will be.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The cert I linked is CARB's (I probably should have noted that). EPA hasn't listed the cert on their web site yet.
Thanks, I missed that part in the link too.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
And most likley the Mazda 6 will not be available in a wagon version like the rest of the world with common sense :-(
I looked at the 6 wagon years back (might have still been a 626) and the biggest issue was that you could only get the 6 cyl in the wagon.