MK4 side mirror upgrade - turn signal, power folding, puddle lights possible?

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Hey folks -

Anybody know if there's an upgrade out there that has all these features for a MK4? I'd love to have something that looks sharp, especially with a turn signal and a puddle light. Power folding ones are of lower importance to me, and it's been covered here already: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=61943&highlight=folding+mirror

I've done some research and it appears pretty complicated, and over at the 'tex the links to the pics are broken thanks to Instagram, so the information is very very incomplete. The closest I've found is a MK5 into a MK4 thing over at black forest industries, but the product is no longer available.

TIA!

Jud.

Last edited:

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
I've had visions of doing similar (w/ priority on side auto-dim) for years and have collected many parts (sold some off), but never got too far.

I have had the following complete assemblies & some car side harness pieces ...
Passat B5.5 power folding w/ turn signal covers, may still have a set somewhere
MK5 w/ turn signal covers, may still have a set somewhere
MK6 w/ turn signal covers, may still have a set somewhere
Audi A6/C6 power folding w/ puddle lights, may still have a set somewhere
Audi allroad/C5 power folding w/ auto-dim function, may still have a set somewhere
Audi A4/B6 power folding w/ auto-dim function, may still have a set somewhere
Audi A4/B5 w/ auto-dim function, may still have a set somewhere

Somewhere in the garage (moved last Nov) should be a box with 12-14 sets of side mirrors, if I can ever get out into the garage to go through the boxes I might be able to help you with some parts.

Wish I could be more help

Last edited:

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Just a thought, my 2015 Passat has the puddle lights in the bottom of the doors.
Maybe do something like that?

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
I’m pretty sure one of the sets I have with the integrated turn signals also has an indentation on the bottom the same shape as the puddle light on the A6/C6.

It’s definitely going to be a frankstien creation to get the things you want.

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS Sedan Platinum Gray
I am about to try and do this same thing, sans the blinkers. I have acquired new (I Just got bonus at work) parts from various places and I have triple checked and am confident everything is correct. But this has not been cheap so if you do more research, you can definitely do it for less with used Jetta or Passat parts. I took the easy way out by getting all Bora/Jetta GLX parts, Skoda puddle lights and Audi mirror glass. I have a 2004 car so I made sure to get the parts for Canbus cars (where relevant):

Mirror Left - 1J1857507G 01C
Mirror Right - 1J1857508G 01C (G is stubby. There's also AM and N, still verifying which is 175mm.)
Window Motor Left - 1C0959801B 017
Window Motor Right - 1C0959802C 017
Door Switch - 1J1959565 A
Puddle Light Left- 3U0945291C 01C
Puddle Light Right- 3U0945292C 01C
Puddle Light Lower Trim Left - 3U0857603C 01C
Puddle Light Lower Trim Right - 3U0857604C 01C
Auto-dimming Mirror Glass Left - 4B0857535E or D or C (aspherical, convex, flat)
Auto-dimming Mirror Glass Right - 4B0857536G or F or E (aspherical, convex, flat)
Auto-dimming Rearview Mirror with 5 Wires (Black) - 3B0857511C01C

I also acquired a set of power memory seats from a Jetta GLX to support the mirror memory function and I got the corresponding Kufatec harness.

With that said, I haven't found a way to implement turn signals. The MK5 mirror shape is completely different so I wouldn't be able to add these puddle lights or mirror glass from what I understand. I'd have to go in a different direction to add turn signals.

I have not installed any of this yet, however. Some parts are still arriving and I am coordinating this with also doing headlight washers, rear park distance sensors, interior motion sensors and a ColorMFA cluster installation. I have a lot of work ahead of me. I may post a tutorial when I am done to compliment the old ones already out there with broken links and images.

I do know it's a lot of wiring. The folding feature has wiring and the auto-dimming glass has separate wiring up to the auto-dimming rearview mirror. The puddle lights also have some wiring. And, if you want to add the auto-dimming side mirror glass, you need to already have wired the auto-dimming rearview mirror and rain sensor and have the appropriate 192 relay.

Last edited: