PD/ALH/AHU Stage II Cams IN STOCK

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Having trouble getting that promised cam?

NO problem here... We have all our cams in stock and ready to deliver. We have a steady supply of cams being manufactured and our orders are being filled.

For the cams installed, many are getting excellent results. Several people are achieving higher fuel economy than with the stock PD cams.

Also, we will soon be offering CNC'd semi's.

A 'semi cam' is a partially ground cam. In this case, the cam journals have been finished, but the valve and injector lobes are uncut, hardened steel forged blanks.

CNC cam grinding machinery allows grinding a cam without the need to physically manufacture a master profile. Instead, cam profiles are digitally stored. This improves the ability to make alterations and eliminates the cost and problem of manufacturing and storing cam master profiles.

Also, CNC machining takes away the 'human element'. Each cam is manufactured start-to-finish without any more intervention than the operator setting the cam into the machinery and hitting the 'Start' button.

Watch for future announcements!

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
It's .020" taller lift.

I can tell you this... every one we have installed, the customers want to keep.

The ALH/ AHU profiles are very straighforward. It gets the job done.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
What does "Stage II" mean?

ALH Duration at lift?
ALH Intake Center Line?
ALH Lobe Seperation Angle?

Are there any internal engine modifications that need to be done to install this cam?

What is this cam intended to do better than a stock ALH cam?

How much is an ALH Stage II?

Got Bearings?

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
what does "stage ii" mean?

Alh duration at lift?
Alh intake center line?
Alh lobe seperation angle?

Are there any internal engine modifications that need to be done to install this cam?

What is this cam intended to do better than a stock alh cam?

How much is an alh stage ii?
this^^^^!!!!

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Sorry for the delay, but the shop is very busy. We will try to answer your questions.

We will answer stats, but first, we have enough field testing to prove we are on the right path. We have designed with the main goal to be longevity and efficiency, however, there are noted improvements in performance.

I do have answers for your most of your requests. But I have some reservation. As a rule, most designers are very unlikely to provide too much detailed information. The cam card does not tell all. Of course, I know reverse engineering is no big trick, but I'd rather people pay for a cam than for me to give it away too much information.

I will tell you this: Center line is approximately 110 degrees. The separation angle is 112 degrees. Lift is .360”. familiar? It is not a stock cam, although the numbers parallel.

I am not sure I understand 'duration at lift'. Do you mean duration OF lift? I understand that there are varying methods of measuring 'duration'. Are you looking for the angle of measurement from peak -.050"? Or total duration?

I will not share the transitions for the lobe design. I will say that it is not radical, nor do I worry that the opening and closing of the intake and exhaust are dangerously close. There is room to work. The overall design moves in the right direction, increasing and improving air flow, while improving life-expectancy.

Whatever you are looking for, let's first be clear that the Stage II ALH cam is not a radical cam, but a modest improvement that has seen good results. I would prefer that the designation of 'Stage II mean .020" additional lift. However, I don't make the rules. Once installed, nobody has asked for his or her $295 back.

For the Stage II Chrome-Plated PD cams, particular attention was paid to reduce the shock and increase the oiling between the camshaft and the lifters. An improved hydraulic profile was created that did not slap the cam followers open and still includes a .020” taller lift. Increased oiling is accomplished by modifying the cam bearings.

Also, the application of chrome to the cam journals is a proven benefit for reduction of parasitic drag and is a very hard, scuff resistant and is an excellent heat transfer medium. With the lower cam bearing compromised as it is, the chrome is a justifiable improvement.

Based on the kind of results we have gotten with the PD Stage II cams, we see no advantage selling a 'stock' height cam. The general consensus is .020” lift becomes ‘performance enhancing’. Usually, there is a trade-off for power in upper rpms, which sacrificeS torque in lower rpms. We do not see any disadvantage in the power profile with the slightly higher lift. Fuel economy is improved.

When I say 'reprofiled', understand that our goal was toward longevity, which comes more from the shape of the arcs between transitions. Good transitions are the method that allows the cam duration and height without compromising reliability.

Some have a problem with our profiling and I've been sharply attacked for our methods. For example, it has been pointed out in some engine building periodicals that reducing the base circle can be detrimental to the lifters. We have evidence that is quite the opposite. Here are two examples:

Reduced base circle is an improvement with the Pume Duese cylinder heads. We often find that these cylinder heads, which are terribly close in several tolerances, require as much as .030" of material removed from the head gasket surface in order to make correct valve projection/ recession. When valve seats erode, the valve moves up in the head, requiring that the valve stem be trimmed in order to maintain proper pre-load on the cam followers. The distance from the top of the stem to the keeper in PD valves is VERY short. Using a cam with a smaller base circle allows the head to be kept in service even after .030" is removed from the head gasket surface.

. Our inspection of a 'Stage III' cam shows .030” lift. With the lobe height of a Stage III cam, the lifter bores must be clearanced. Rather than cutting lifter bores, a .010” smaller base circle can be an advantage. That base circle change would eliminate the need for lifter bore modification.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Sorry for the delay, but the shop is very busy. We will try to answer your questions.

We will answer stats, but first, we have enough field testing to prove we are on the right path. We have designed with the main goal to be longevity and efficiency, however, there are noted improvements in performance.

I do have answers for your most of your requests. But I have some reservation. As a rule, most designers are very unlikely to provide too much detailed information. The cam card does not tell all. Of course, I know reverse engineering is no big trick, but I'd rather people pay for a cam than for me to give it away too much information.
That's fair - no problem with that.

Franko6 said:
I will tell you this: Center line is approximately 110 degrees. The separation angle is 112 degrees. Lift is .360”. familiar? It is not a stock cam, although the numbers parallel.
Just for reference, the OEM ALH cam when installed "straight up" has a 110.5 Intake Centerline, 113.5 Exhaust Centerline, 112 Lobe Seperation Angle with a lift of 0.337"-0.338"

Franko6 said:
I am not sure I understand 'duration at lift'. Do you mean duration OF lift? I understand that there are varying methods of measuring 'duration'. Are you looking for the angle of measurement from peak -.050"? Or total duration?
What is the lobe duration in degrees between whichever increasing and decreasing lift points you choose on each lobe (typically 1mm or 0.050").

The OEM ALH cam runs 184-185 crank degrees duration at 0.050" lift and 189 degrees at 1mm lift

Franko6 said:
I will not share the transitions for the lobe design. I will say that it is not radical, nor do I worry that the opening and closing of the intake and exhaust are dangerously close. There is room to work.
No problem

Franko6 said:
The overall design moves in the right direction, increasing and improving air flow, while improving life-expectancy.
With a camshaft arguably being one of the most influential components on how and where engine makes power - can you expand on the "moves in the right direction" part?
At what RPM's are you improving and increasing airflow?
What are the compromises with this cam design?

Franko6 said:
Whatever you are looking for, let's first be clear that the Stage II ALH cam is not a radical cam, but a modest improvement that has seen good results. I would prefer that the designation of 'Stage II mean .020" additional lift. However, I don't make the rules. Once installed, nobody has asked for his or her $295 back.
It's encouraging to hear that you've had happy customers with the cam, but the key piece of missing information is what were their goals to start with.

I don't care if you call it Mashed Potatoes and Gravy as long as there is some information on what it actually is and does so I can make an educated decision as a consumer to determine if it will help me achieve my goals or not.

Franko6 said:
For the Stage II Chrome-Plated PD cams, particular attention was paid to reduce the shock and increase the oiling between the camshaft and the lifters. An improved hydraulic profile was created that did not slap the cam followers open and still includes a .020” taller lift. Increased oiling is accomplished by modifying the cam bearings.

Also, the application of chrome to the cam journals is a proven benefit for reduction of parasitic drag and is a very hard, scuff resistant and is an excellent heat transfer medium. With the lower cam bearing compromised as it is, the chrome is a justifiable improvement.

Based on the kind of results we have gotten with the PD Stage II cams, we see no advantage selling a 'stock' height cam. The general consensus is .020” lift becomes ‘performance enhancing’. Usually, there is a trade-off for power in upper rpms, which sacrificeS torque in lower rpms. We do not see any disadvantage in the power profile with the slightly higher lift. Fuel economy is improved.

When I say 'reprofiled', understand that our goal was toward longevity, which comes more from the shape of the arcs between transitions. Good transitions are the method that allows the cam duration and height without compromising reliability.

Some have a problem with our profiling and I've been sharply attacked for our methods. For example, it has been pointed out in some engine building periodicals that reducing the base circle can be detrimental to the lifters. We have evidence that is quite the opposite. Here are two examples:

Reduced base circle is an improvement with the Pume Duese cylinder heads. We often find that these cylinder heads, which are terribly close in several tolerances, require as much as .030" of material removed from the head gasket surface in order to make correct valve projection/ recession. When valve seats erode, the valve moves up in the head, requiring that the valve stem be trimmed in order to maintain proper pre-load on the cam followers. The distance from the top of the stem to the keeper in PD valves is VERY short. Using a cam with a smaller base circle allows the head to be kept in service even after .030" is removed from the head gasket surface.

. Our inspection of a 'Stage III' cam shows .030” lift. With the lobe height of a Stage III cam, the lifter bores must be clearanced. Rather than cutting lifter bores, a .010” smaller base circle can be an advantage. That base circle change would eliminate the need for lifter bore modification.
No relavent comments on the PD cams - it all seems to make well enough sense though

Sky King

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 New Beetle DSG Trans.
Frank, I have 2500 miles on my chrome cam and head work. I am very tempted to go to the local shop and have it dynoed. I got my Malone tune a little over a week ago and plan to run some logs when I figure that out on the VAGCOM.

It's been quite a while since I drove the car, almost a year, and believe it or not, I had a vacuum leak preventing my turbo from working properly. I got that all fixed up now and have had several YEEHAAA !! Moments. I don't remember the car pulling that hard above 70mph. I don't remember it accelerating so strong up a very steep bridge in my area. No determiniation on mileage yet due to the vacuum leak but it's almost where it was (41-42 hwy/city before I fixed the leak and without the Malone Tune) . I'm at -1.5 torsion. I have almost 500 miles on my refilled tank with the problems addressed. We'll see how it is doing when I refill this weekend.

Just thought I'd share. Happy motoring !!

Last edited:

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Gene, Thanks. We are looking forward to your tweaks and what that rebuilt engine will do.

Fix_Until_Broke says:
1. With a camshaft arguably being one of the most influential components on how and where engine makes power - can you expand on the "moves in the right direction" part?

2. At what RPM's are you improving and increasing airflow?

3. What are the compromises with this cam design?

Franks says:

These are more complicated questions.

1. Let me explain what I mean, "...move in the right direction...”. There is no 100%. There is only better or worse. We feel what we have done is 'better'. But we are not ones to leave it alone. I heard it said by Dick Maskin, the owner and designer of Dart Cylinder Heads, "We are painting a picture that we will never finish..."
We feel the same way about the potential for the TDI cams. I expect as we hone our skills and continue to learn, we will make better and better product.

2. The exciting thing about the cam design is as you say; we feel it is the single most influential component of an engine that can alter the power/ efficiency of an engine. We chose efficiency. Unlike a gasoline engine where valve overlap can be a large issue for developing power, there is virtually no opportunity for overlap in the TDI engine. The only thing that you can do is 'push the envelope' and make the closing and opening of the valves closer to the travel of the piston. Because many of our clientele are not going to be adept at timing a very critical cam, we chose to keep close to VW's more conservative cam timing/ piston position.

We will probably start playing with that intake closing and exhaust opening degree and the amount of dwell at the top of the lift, as those three factors are where the greatest good can be had without adversely affecting any other aspect of the engine.

3. Another great statement I will remember is from Newman Cams, who said,
"If a car manufacturing company could add 15 horse power to an engine, why wouldn't they do it?"

Of course the reason is that the horsepower may come at the sacrifice of drivability. Usually, a cam that increases horse power does so by having a harder starting engine, that often has a narrowed power band that makes it's power at a higher rpm.

With the cam design we have, we see no adverse reactions. The power comes on sooner, at around 1800 rpm, which given that there is additional air at the lower rpm, it is easy to justify that is true throughout the range. Most important, the improvement in air flow and careful setting of the cam timing has led to improved fuel economy and/ or power. Again, this is particularly true of the PD’s, but careful cam timing in the AHU and ALH’s also will show satisfying results.

There was even a whole thread dedicated to PD Cams. It apparently came out of a complaint of ‘no performance gains’, complaining about my cam design. Now the complaint has turned into accolades of higher fuel economy than he ever achieved before; 52 mpg. This turn of events can be found on that most famous thread:
“What did you do to your car today?”
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=3737144#post3737144 post #12517 –12523 :D

With the PD cam particularly, we feel we have manufactured a proprietary cam that is much closer to the design VW should have made.

F_U_B, the main purpose for virtually every PD owner is longevity and economy. That is what we have designed for. The ALH/ AHU's may be another story, but we will keep moving, "the right direction".

Last edited:

dieselpower04

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
Frank lets not start this again, please. I'm sure this will get deleted and get me banned but here it goes.

The re-tune made all the difference in the world, not the cam.

Before the cam, I could do 50 mpg tanks.

After the cam, I did the same.

After the cam and vwmikel's magic, I did 52 mpg tanks.

Thank you :)

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Gene, Thanks. We are looking forward to your tweaks and what that rebuilt engine will do.

Fix_Until_Broke says:
1. With a camshaft arguably being one of the most influential components on how and where engine makes power - can you expand on the "moves in the right direction" part?

2. At what RPM's are you improving and increasing airflow?

3. What are the compromises with this cam design?

Franks says:

These are more complicated questions.

1. Let me explain what I mean, "...move in the right direction...”. There is no 100%. There is only better or worse. We feel what we have done is 'better'. But we are not ones to leave it alone. I heard it said by Dick Maskin, the owner and designer of Dart Cylinder Heads, "We are painting a picture that we will never finish..."
We feel the same way about the potential for the TDI cams. I expect as we hone our skills and continue to learn, we will make better and better product.

2. The exciting thing about the cam design is as you say; we feel it is the single most influential component of an engine that can alter the power/ efficiency of an engine. We chose efficiency. Unlike a gasoline engine where valve overlap can be a large issue for developing power, there is virtually no opportunity for overlap in the TDI engine. The only thing that you can do is 'push the envelope' and make the closing and opening of the valves closer to the travel of the piston. Because many of our clientele are not going to be adept at timing a very critical cam, we chose to keep close to VW's more conservative cam timing/ piston position.

We will probably start playing with that intake closing and exhaust opening degree and the amount of dwell at the top of the lift, as those three factors are where the greatest good can be had without adversely affecting any other aspect of the engine.

3. Another great statement I will remember is from Newman Cams, who said,
"If a car manufacturing company could add 15 horse power to an engine, why wouldn't they do it?"

Of course the reason is that the horsepower may come at the sacrifice of drivability. Usually, a cam that increases horse power does so by having a harder starting engine, that often has a narrowed power band that makes it's power at a higher rpm.

With the cam design we have, we see no adverse reactions. The power comes on sooner, at around 1800 rpm, which given that there is additional air at the lower rpm, it is easy to justify that is true throughout the range. Most important, the improvement in air flow and careful setting of the cam timing has led to improved fuel economy and/ or power. Again, this is particularly true of the PD’s, but careful cam timing in the AHU and ALH’s also will show satisfying results.

There was even a whole thread dedicated to PD Cams. It apparently came out of a complaint of ‘no performance gains’, complaining about my cam design. Now the complaint has turned into accolades of higher fuel economy than he ever achieved before; 52 mpg. This turn of events can be found on that most famous thread:
“What did you do to your car today?”
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=3737144#post3737144 post #12517 –12523 :D

With the PD cam particularly, we feel we have manufactured a proprietary cam that is much closer to the design VW should have made.

F_U_B, the main purpose for virtually every PD owner is longevity and economy. That is what we have designed for. The ALH/ AHU's may be another story, but we will keep moving, "the right direction".

If you would, I'd like to go back to my original questions for a moment - a couple of which are un-answered - before I address the above.

Fix Until Broke said:
[What is the] ALH Duration at lift [of your cam]?
and clarified again later

Fix Until Broke said:
What is the lobe duration in degrees between whichever increasing and decreasing lift points you choose on each lobe (typically 1mm or 0.050").

The OEM ALH cam runs 184-185 crank degrees duration at 0.050" lift and 189 degrees at 1mm lift
And this one please...

Fix Until Broke said:
What is this cam intended to do better [or different] than a stock ALH cam?

Got Bearings?

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
Frank lets not start this again, please. I'm sure this will get deleted and get me banned but here it goes.

The re-tune made all the difference in the world, not the cam.

Before the cam, I could do 50 mpg tanks.

After the cam, I did the same.

After the cam and vwmikel's magic, I did 52 mpg tanks.

Thank you :)
That is not a fair statement to make. You can't swap different cams and expect the same tune to be optimized to that particular cam. It doesn't work that way. Each cam will have it's optimal tune and it's not a "1 tune fits all."

I assume you were tuned before the cam swap. If that's the case, the combination of the cam and tune netted you 2 more MPG.

dieselpower04

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
That is not a fair statement to make. You can't swap different cams and expect the same tune to be optimized to that particular cam. It doesn't work that way. Each cam will have it's optimal tune and it's not a "1 tune fits all."

I assume you were tuned before the cam swap. If that's the case, the combination of the cam and tune netted you 2 more MPG.
Neither tuner mentioned anything about adjusting the tune for the cam. It seems to me they didn't care it was there. The lobes for the injectors are the same so I can't see how the tune would need to be adjusted for the cam.

No one on this planet is going to change my mind that the cam did anything so that's that :)

Bkcorso

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf
I currently have my car(alh) tuned for economy, Frank are you saying with this new cam I can achieve even better fuel economy over the stock one ?

It certainly seems we need some before and afters to gain clarity on this cams advantages over the stock one. (power is great, but Im in it for economy) I would be happy to find out. I'm about due for a timing belt change, and this would be a perfect time to try this new cam.

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
dieselpower04,

Ok, I am not going to overamp the story with you and me. The LAST thing I want is your 'problem' going berserk on another moderator sanctioned thread. But I will say the wrong cam would have hurt. My cam sure didn't hurt. The tune and the cam timing are two issues that were not corrected which did cause your initial issue. I think if the cam timing were experimented with, you would find additional benefit.

It is not reasonable to separate the benefit as 'tune only' any more than to say 'cam only' was where the improvement comes from. You must have one in order to achieve the other. That is what I said before and that is what I continue to maintain.

If the correct tune had been in place to begin with, we probably wouldn't have had all that drama with a thread that basically was taking aim at me and my cams, would we?

As for the cam itself, mechanically it is very strange to me that the tuner would not take into consideration that the degreeing of the cam is VERY IMPORTANT! To ignore the cam degree in the tune draws quite a question to my mind. I think I'll ask and then I'll know what the tuner is thinking.

F_U_B,

We are going to test the accuracy of the grind. We are building some blocks and will be installing cams We will check with our degree wheel and give you the dimensions that you are asking for.

Bkcorso,

We have seen a variety of ways that the taller lift cam for the ALH has been used. The improvement of air flow is an advantage. I have said it more than occasionally; "Power and efficiency 'hold hands' in a diesel engine". When you get one, you have the other.

Providing the right amount of air with the right amount of fuel for a complete combustion of air and fuel is the perfect combination. Achieving that result is the builders dream.

We have sold quite a number of the ALH Stage II .020" taller lift cams. There is a definite advantage.

To quantify the Power/ Efficiency benefit, there have been engines from our shop that produced 200+ hp, but when driven for economy still achieved over 50 mpg.

What we don't want to give is the appearance of a magic bullet. A properly tuned and good condition engine, with well-balanced injectors is necessary in order to perform at a high level.

dieselpower04

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
As for the cam itself, mechanically it is very strange to me that the tuner would not take into consideration that the degreeing of the cam is VERY IMPORTANT! To ignore the cam degree in the tune draws quite a question to my mind. I think I'll ask and then I'll know what the tuner is thinking.
I dont know this for sure, honestly. I just assumed because it didn't seem important to the previous tuner. I think Mike said its taken into account though :cool:

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
I spoke to Mike. I am not going to speak in his place.

I will say that the torsion value was not an argument between us. We basically agreed that it is something to speculate about the 'corrrect value' and that each engine is it's own case.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I installed a Franko6 rebuilt head with the AHU Stage II cam last weekend. The car has higher mileage (393k), but great compression and everything was clean beforehand (intake & exhaust, I posted pictures in a different thread). Nothing else about the car changed.

What I noticed other than the louder ticking, and I'm assuming it's because everything is new and not broken in yet, is a very noticeable power increase. It comes on just below 2k and so far I have not seen the upper limit because I'm still breaking it in and not exceeding 3,200 rpm's as a break-in procedure. The pull is much more noticeable and consistent, yet smooth and strong. Sort of like when I went from stock to the Sprint injectors, and then from untuned to the RC-2 Euro a year later.

I have hundreds of thousands of miles on the car and know every nuance, tick, and blemish, so I am very in-tune with it. It is a great addition to the other modifications on the B4 and I would buy another in a minute. I can already tell my grin has gotten wider as a result.

dieselpower04

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
I spoke to Mike. I am not going to speak in his place.

I will say that the torsion value was not an argument between us. We basically agreed that it is something to speculate about the 'corrrect value' and that each engine is it's own case.
K. Like usual I have no idea what I'm talking about :)

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Abacus,

Although I am concerned with a ticking, I am happy to hear of your power improvement. That is a very consistent report.

We exclusively use INA lifters. With our improved cam, we recommend the ALH style cam follower. The underside of the lifter should be marked with the appropriate INA number, ending in "F".

We have had very few lifter failures in the thousands we have installed. However, if there is a problem lifter, we will be happy to send you a replacement. Call us for details how to inspect lifters.

dieselpower04,

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=336279&page=9

I do know this particular problem well; and that is with no sarcasm.

One thing is certain. Neither poor tune nor poor cam will not allow good performance. You have chosen a tuner to help you with your setup. That would have helped your concerns from the outset. Since you have faith in your tuner, I suggest you discuss the matter with him. With no variable valve system for a PD, you have to find the right number; it's not going to find itself.

Btw DP04: You asked me once about your old cam. If no valve lobe measures less that 2.424" between the top of the lobe and the base circle, we will turn it in for core credit. Once it passes inspection by the cam grinder, we will pay the core credit.

Last edited:

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
It has quieted down some, but I will keep an ear to it. As mentioned before, I am pretty in-tune with the car and notice every little noise and vibration, so I doubt another person would pick up on it. It is starting easier and sounding quieter, and while I have not put a scope on it, I think it was just some residual air trapped in the system from where I swapped injectors. My brother mentioned this on his B4 when he runs it out of fuel (like 3 or 4 times now), and he says it takes 3-4 days before it's back to normal again. He often has 3-4 days of hard starting (3-5 seconds, normally it's just touching the key) with ticking, and it quiets down and starts easier as time progresses.

If it gets worse or continues for awhile, I'll yank the cam and have a look under the followers, but right now I'm not worried since I only have 200 miles since the install. I appreciate your concern though and will keep you updated.

bzeien

Veteran Member
TDI
Smyth Performance G3F #9, formerly known as "2004 Jetta BEW", 2004 Jetta TDI Wagon
Hi Frank,

With 30K miles since installing your chrome journal cam in my BEW I couldn't be more pleased with its performance and economy.

Thank you for a great product! :)

-Bob

dieselpower04

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
Btw DP04: You asked me once about your old cam. If no valve lobe measures less that 2.424" between the top of the lobe and the base circle, we will turn it in for core credit. Once it passes inspection by the cam grinder, we will pay the core credit.
I will have to see if I can find it in the garage, then measure it. Thanks :)

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
You are right Bruce. You can use the ALH cam in the AHU, but not the other way around. The larger slot in the ALH is used to drive the vacuum pump. Actually, we have AHU/ 1Z cams, just in case the installers don't want to change their cam tooling.

Abacus, there are a very few differences between the 1Z and the AHU. The major difference in the two is the 8mm valves for the 1Z compared to the AHU's 7mm valves. Just that difference in valving amounts to a rather substantial gain in performance. The 1Z head can be converted and that is what we do relatively often.

The ALH/ AHU Stage II cams are both $295. We are working on getting something 'a little different' with the 8 lobe cams. Although we do like the results of the 1996-2003 model cams, we are probably going ratchet the cam up a bit more. It will be late summer if we are lucky. We will have to adjust our pricing dependent on production of a customized blank.

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Hi Frank,
With 30K miles since installing your chrome journal cam in my BEW I couldn't be more pleased with its performance and economy.
Thank you for a great product! :)
-Bob
Bob,

If you would, please include torsion value numbers and economy. I'd appreciate it. Glad you like the cam...

bzeien

Veteran Member
TDI
Smyth Performance G3F #9, formerly known as "2004 Jetta BEW", 2004 Jetta TDI Wagon
Bob,
If you would, please include torsion value numbers and economy. I'd appreciate it. Glad you like the cam...

Hi Frank,

VCDS reports my torsion value as +1.0KW. Average economy over the past 29846 miles was 47.8mpg with a high of 54.4mpg and a low of 42.8mpg. The low reading was due to a tank of "spirited driving", the high was a trip to Cooperstown, NY with quite a few hills. The car is running stock exhaust, turbo, etc. with a smoke free mid-range Kerma tune. It cruises well and can melt the tires when the "spirited" mood strikes.

I'll be cutting the car up shortly for my Smyth G3F conversion. While the rest of the motor is being upgraded I'll get you some photos of the cam, bearings, etc. for reference.

Thanks again for a great product!

-Bob

Last edited: