Air hose for VW

Ton

Veteran Member
TDI
early 2001 jetta
I can't get the spring clamps put on my air line after the turbo. Do I need a special tool?

bbarbulo

Veteran Member
are worth their weight in gold. :) :)
only if you work on German cars a lot.

I've always wanted a pair of specific pliers for those clamps, but never bought them.

I just use channel lock (the actual brand) pliers. I grasp the clamp, move it to a firm location, then readjust the pliers to be able to open the clamp completely. time consuming, but saves me real-estate in my tool boxes.

Reactions: Ton

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Borrow a set and then do an ALH timing belt... you may never be able to go back to channel-locks again, especially for the lower intercooler hose. :D
Yeah, I have no idea how folks could do that one without one of these tools!

First specialty tool I bought after I got my first TDI (and VW).

Ton

Veteran Member
TDI
early 2001 jetta
I tried the channel lock brand- pure misery and frustration. Thanks for the replies.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Where do you buy spring clamp pliers? Snap-on truck?
Got mine from idparts. They are ratcheted which helps a lot. I still use pliers for the smaller clamps in tighter surroundings.

mjydrafter

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Those cable operated spring clamp pliers are the bomb. Get some.

I have had pretty good luck out at the junk yard, with being able to move those clamps around a bit by prying on one or the other of the tabs. You have to push so you are loosening the clamp a bit, but they will usually turn so you can get them into an easier position to get at them with regular pliers or a smaller set of channel locks.

Those bottom ones aren't much fun as there isn't much room, even for the cable pliers.