Ticking noise when coasting at low speed?

Dalon

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 MKV Jetta TDI 1.9L - 237k 2013 Passat TDI - 31k
So recently realized that my 2006 Jetta TDI makes a very audible ticking noise when I am coasting at low speeds that matches the speed of the car...? It also ticks when braking at low speeds to a complete stop. If I accelerate to higher speeds >40mph, the ticking noise stops. I just had my snow tires taken off and the summer tires put on. The shop said my wheel bearings are fine so I drove it to my other shop that does all my repairs to have them look at it. I am trying to figure out what it is though so I can anticipate the repair costs...Thank you all! Also, the CV joints were replaced less than 2 years ago. I know there is another thread on this but my issue is slightly different.

Dalon

Veteran Member
TDI
Rock in the tread somewhere? Maybe a nail or something?
I am not sure as those tires have been taken off now :/ I do know when I drove the car from the tire shop to my other shop I did not hear it...granted it was 20 degrees and it was less than a 2 mile drive...I just want it inspected to be safe anyhow. I will give an update when I hear back from the shop.

Dieselmonkey02

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta
One time I was driving down some railroad tracks in an old ford with 35's and pulled out on the road. I had a rather large woosh,woosh,woosh. Sure enough a rail spike straight up through the tread. Lmao good times.

Dalon

Veteran Member
TDI
One time I was driving down some railroad tracks in an old ford with 35's and pulled out on the road. I had a rather large woosh,woosh,woosh. Sure enough a rail spike straight up through the tread. Lmao good times.
Jeez that's insane lol honestly it could very well of been a nail or something. If I don't hear it anymore then it probably was. The summer tires are quieter anyway so I should be able to tell pretty quick. Thank you for the input!

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
One of the tire shops near me has this collection jar full of stuff they pull from tires: always fun to look through:D I saw a brake pad backing plate! Imagine how perfectly one would have to hit something like that to get it to penetrate and lodge in a tire!

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I had a ticking sound on a car I once owned, and found a hex head bolt in the front tire. It did not leak any air until I pulled out the bolt.

Dalon

Veteran Member
TDI
UPDATE:
Got to drive the car today before the shop worked on and the sound is gone...I drove it for about 20 minutes to get it to operating temperature and no odd sounds...So either the winter tire had something lodged in it or the bolts were loose...nonetheless the sound is gone so I am happy. Thank you all for the help and input!

Last edited:

Dalon

Veteran Member
TDI
UPDATE:
Well after taking the car home and driving it the next day, the sound came back and is noticeably worse. It is very shaky and its a loud rumble noise. I believe it is a bad wheel bearing and is going to the shop tomorrow to get replaced whatever the problem is. The car had serious vibrations in the steering wheel and vibrations across the entire car.

KZL_05TDI

TDI
2005 Golf GLS TDI Manual
UPDATE:
Well after taking the car home and driving it the next day, the sound came back and is noticeably worse. It is very shaky and its a loud rumble noise. I believe it is a bad wheel bearing and is going to the shop tomorrow to get replaced whatever the problem is. The car had serious vibrations in the steering wheel and vibrations across the entire car.

any update? did your issue go away? how much was it to replace everything?

I think I have a similar issue at right around 42 mph it's the loudest, especially when turning slightly :/

Dalon

Veteran Member
TDI
any update? did your issue go away? how much was it to replace everything?
I think I have a similar issue at right around 42 mph it's the loudest, especially when turning slightly :/
The issue believe it or not was rusted out wheel bolts. They had to chase the threads on my hub and I converted to wheels studs and bolts and the issue has gone away...The tech's didn't even want to drive my car after hearing the noise is was making...they worried the wheel was going to fall right off...Stud conversion kit was $90 with bolts. Labor was around $150 I believe?

kbaisley

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
The issue believe it or not was rusted out wheel bolts. They had to chase the threads on my hub and I converted to wheels studs and bolts and the issue has gone away...The tech's didn't even want to drive my car after hearing the noise is was making...they worried the wheel was going to fall right off...Stud conversion kit was $90 with bolts. Labor was around $150 I believe?
Something doesnt sound right here...

The lug nits wont rust out If anything, they can be a PITA to remove if they have been on a while and never coated with anti seize. I have never heard of this as a fix, even a "bush" fix. I would strong suggest looking for a recommended TDI mechanic in your area. It is already done, but you need to make sure that they used the proper lug nuts.