Questions regarding aftermarket stereo

2000MKIV

TDI
My MK4 Jetta has the Monsoon single DIN stereo, which is amplified and comes with a 6-disc CD changer in the trunk.

Time has moved on and I want to play MP3s from an MP3 player or directly from USB stick or flash card.

I have tried:

1. Tape adapter to play MP3: no go, lousy quality, only low volume with lots of static

2. Grom Aux input adaptor that plugs into the CD connector on the back of the radio: no go, same as tape adapter

3. FM transmitter: no go, same low volume, and lousy sound problem

I think I have exhausted all options for adding aux input other than soldering an aux input directly to the stereo's circuit board. I expect the sound again to suck, so I am hesitant to try that option.

I am now looking at replacing the Monsoon factory. I don't want to spend more than necessary. Can I keep the amplifier and the original speakers?

On crutchfield.com I see many stereos that are compatible with my 2000 Jetta, but they do not mention anything about these stereos being compatible with the Monsoon amplifier or stereo. Obviously, I can ask them, which I will do.

Before I do that, I would like to get any input from those of you who have successfully installed an aftermarket stereo. What brand and model did you use?

Also, does the aftermarket stereo affect some vehicle functions? I am thinking of the alarm system (confirmation honk) and interior lights, since the vehicle uses CAN bus, unless I am mistaken.

I appreciate any input.

Last edited:

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Can I keep the amplifier and the original speakers?

Before I do that, I would like to get any input from those of you who have successfully installed an aftermarket stereo. What brand and model did you use?

Also, does the aftermarket stereo affect some vehicle functions? I am thinking of the alarm system (confirmation honk) and interior lights, since the vehicle uses CAN bus, unless I am mistaken.
I appreciate any input.
I was in the same boat as you as my Monsoon player just stopped working. I have the factory amplifier and CD changer. I removed the changer to free up space in the cubby hole. You can keep all of these with whatever head unit you get.

The aftermarket head unit does NOT affect any vehicle functions in my case.

You really just need to make sure that you have the correct adapter for the vehicle. The original one I got had some sort of wireless dongle hanging off of the harness, but that ended up being the wrong harness as there isn't anything fancy to connect.

I believe it's the Metra 70-1784 adapter that you need.

I just bought a standard Kenwood Exceleron deck.

The only thing I did was add a triggered relay from the HU back to the monsoon amp, so that it cut power to the amp when the key was off to ensure there is no parasitic drain. I believe I utilized the power connection for the CD player to achieve this but can't remember at this point.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I kept checking Best Buy clearance until I found a Kenwood with all the features.
My big 2 needs were GPS and Delirious Radio. :)
When I saw it for less then 1/2 the $700+ original price I grabbed it.

I removed the amp in the back, don't need that much volume.

I also ran real speaker wires direct to the speakers.

Power from the bottom of the relay panel. No worry about frying an OBD scanner.

I like it so much that when I finally decide to sell the Jetta the radio will go into my Tiguan.

206danebmx

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta TDI wagon
I've been wanting to swap in a new deck so I can play music from an aux or Bluetooth input as well but I prefer to keep all the stock wiring and look of the oem stereo. I've had bad luck with the tape adapters but I did just purchase a $20 one called i simple (purchased at car toys) and I'd say the reduced quality is hardly noticeable. Usually I just turn the volume up on my phone almost all the way and then adjust the it from the radio.

2000MKIV

TDI
The aftermarket head unit does NOT affect any vehicle functions in my case.
There's a micro-switch on the factory unit. Without the micro-switch, the alarm confirmation honk is disabled. Not that it's a big deal. I presume no aftermarket unit has the proper micro-switch.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
There's a micro-switch on the factory unit. Without the micro-switch, the alarm confirmation honk is disabled. Not that it's a big deal. I presume no aftermarket unit has the proper micro-switch.
I can tell you that all of the functions you listed above, as well as the alarm confirmation, work on my 2002 Golf that started with a Monsoon HU.
I got the Kenwood Excelon KDC-X399 but I think that model has been superseded. It's been a great HU as I don't need anything fancy for the car. I even have photos of the installation somewhere...ah got em:

You can wire everything up in the comfort of your house:

Plug and play once you're in the car:

Clean install:

Last edited:

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I like that one. I'm following this because my recently acquire NB monsoon sound is not good.
The old Jetta radio crapped out, I bought a $40 Crurtchfield kit, complete. Nothing real nice, but having MP3 ability was tremendous.
One question I have is: The NB monsoon has a round faceplate and cd changer in the armrest. What's this about an auxiliary amp? Is this something separate or is it built in? If separate, where is it? (apologies, I did no search)

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
I like that one. I'm following this because my recently acquire NB monsoon sound is not good.
The old Jetta radio crapped out, I bought a $40 Crurtchfield kit, complete. Nothing real nice, but having MP3 ability was tremendous.
One question I have is: The NB monsoon has a round faceplate and cd changer in the armrest. What's this about an auxiliary amp? Is this something separate or is it built in? If separate, where is it? (apologies, I did no search)
My amp and CD changer were built into the system (Both OEM Monsoon), but physically separate units. Both the CD player and the amp are located in the trunk in the cubby on the drivers side of the car. I think the NB has the amp in the same place. It's an external amp

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I do not have that problem with mine.

Jarrod B

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI
what did you do for the ignition wire? its a always on connection and mine drains the radio cause it never turns off with the key.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
That's not correct. Have a Pioneer single DIN unit from Crutchfield installed in my 2001 Jetta. Power antennae booster works, Monsoon "amp" (actually more of an elaborate crossover system than an actual amp-which explains why it's a relatively low power "premium" system), off at key out or door open, and alarm honk all works as it did with the OEM headunit. Crutchfield, and probably many other aftermarket vendors, supplied the proper wiring adapter harness. Easy install.

snoopy

Veteran Member
TDI
NB, 2002, Cyber green
+1 on Crutchfield. I recently replaced my stock head unit. When selecting your make and model of car, Crutchfield will ask if your car has the Monsoon or not and then mate the right set of connectors with the head unit you choose.

First time installing a head unit ever and it took less than an hour. I got a Dual head unit with Bluetooth, USB and aux jack for $45 on clearance, including the connection adapters. Definitely not high end but it serves its purpose. Couldn't be happier.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
what did you do for the ignition wire? its a always on connection and mine drains the radio cause it never turns off with the key.
I hooked the 2 power wires to the studs under the relay panel.
One for always power on for the clock & settings.
The other for power in run, not crank.
When I shut the key the radio goes off instantly.