TDIFest 2017 location discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
As usual people post where they want the Fest but nobody steps up to do the organizational groundwork. Sorry but the same things keep getting rehashed in these threads. Simply put - there are many great locations in the USA and Canada - just need a crew to organize a Fest in same. It does make for entertainment at times reading these "Fest 20xx Location" threads though!

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
As usual people post where they want the Fest but nobody steps up to do the organizational groundwork. Sorry but the same things keep getting rehashed in these threads. Simply put - there are many great locations in the USA and Canada - just need a crew to organize a Fest in same. It does make for entertainment at times reading these "Fest 20xx Location" threads though!
No surprise here......been going on for years..... :(

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
At this point, a 2017 Fest bid is already two months behind schedule. If nobody steps up to be an organizer by the end of December, I think it's pretty safe to say that there won't be a 2017 Fest. Even if a group did come together, the proposal must be vetted and approved by Fred.

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Outsource to China?... it'd cost less... :(

...It would be interesting to see how Peter would drive there...

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
China? Poland? Norway?...All pretty little villages near to the Sunday River venue(s) in Maine.
Yeah, another "local" to me fest has appeal, but China, ME? Population 52? Really?

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
Aspen certainly is gorgeous, but very expensive EVERYWHERE. I took my girlfriend last summer and we attempted to go to Maroon Bells which ended up being a nightmare. We tried to find a place to grill food, no parks have grills. There are no places to camp or set up shop really. If colorado is an option I would definitely suggest somewhere near the front range. Or maybe winter park, copper, vail, avon somewhere along I-70.

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Mercedes E250 Blutec. Previously: 2006 Jetta TDI
Aspen certainly is gorgeous, but very expensive EVERYWHERE. I took my girlfriend last summer and we attempted to go to Maroon Bells which ended up being a nightmare. We tried to find a place to grill food, no parks have grills. There are no places to camp or set up shop really. If colorado is an option I would definitely suggest somewhere near the front range. Or maybe winter park, copper, vail, avon somewhere along I-70.
vail:

http://www.vailresortsmeetings.com/destinations/vail?cmpid=PPC_DEST_CORPGRP#fndtn-panel-2

I could contact the lodge and get an idea of what 100 rooms during labor day would cost.

hevster1

Vendor
TDI
98 NB
I would suggest looking into something with one of the racetracks. Pocono, NJMSP, Lime Rock, NY Safety track all come to mind. Then there are certain other possibilities such as a Autocross course set up in a parking lot like I have seen at Laconia/NHIS. Cost may be a deterrent as doing this, even for fun may cost as much as 400.00 per vehicle for track time. However, it may be something to consider as attendance is admittedly waning. Perhaps doing TDI fest in conjunction with a Bertil Roos School at Pocono (or another school at a different track) is an idea as well. This way, a group rate is possible or only those interested can attend.
What do you think?

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
...on second thought, I'll see if I can keep my resolution a bit longer so I won't be posting a commentary about the echo that keeps coming from the peanut gallery...

Oh, drat! Not even 48 hours into the year and I broke the resolution....

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Mercedes E250 Blutec. Previously: 2006 Jetta TDI
Who has done a fest or knows how to?

I spoke to the Keystone sales manager who can refer us to Vail, Breckinridge and Beavercreek CO resort managers for our options. I told him I'd forward his contact info to someone who has experience doing Fests. Who would that be? If this is a case of needing someone who'll volunteer to do it, I'd still need to find someone who can tell me what's involved.

Last edited:

DieselDork

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 BEW
Seattle/Bellingham has some great drives. I'm part of the Death By VW group out here, great people. West coast would be sweet this year.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Seattle/Bellingham has some great drives. I'm part of the Death By VW group out here, great people. West coast would be sweet this year.
I'd be happy to assist with a Washington proposal if we end up moving to Washington in the coming years. Great drives, great locations, but kind of far for most people. Don't spend too much effort on 2017, as it's too late for that now... feel free to put some ideas together for 2018.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I spoke to the Keystone sales manager who can refer us to Vail, Breckinridge and Beavercreek CO resort managers for our options. I told him I'd forward his contact info to someone who has experience doing Fests. Who would that be? If this is a case of needing someone who'll volunteer to do it, I'd still need to find someone who can tell me what's involved.
I have lots of experience with Fest planning, but I don't have time to do anything for 2017. I can provide some information by PM if you'd like.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Historically vendors have been discouraged from planning TDIFest. As you can imagine, if one group of vendors are involved in the planning and others are not, the ones who aren't involved will think planners are getting special treatment.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Remind me again why TN is a no go. Wasn't it the costs for a venue and lodging?

I'm all for doing grunt work and helping organize, but it's a little hard from a distance. That and we should be expecting, about in time for the fest. Any chances for south, mid-Atlantic, or mid-west? Maybe Ohio, Indiana, Carolinas?

Jason

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Remind me again why TN is a no go. Wasn't it the costs for a venue and lodging?

I'm all for doing grunt work and helping organize, but it's a little hard from a distance. That and we should be expecting, about in time for the fest. Any chances for south, mid-Atlantic, or mid-west? Maybe Ohio, Indiana, Carolinas?

Jason
A couple of other people and myself looked into the Smokey Mountains and other areas of Tennessee, and for the time of year, tourist season makes finding a suitable venue at a suitable price very difficult. It could be done, but it requires reservations at least a year in advance. At this point, it's certainly a possibility for 2018.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
It's Missouri that was the TAX issue for anything coming into the state.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Midwest is much farther north than Texas. I have suggested Texas in the past...but never seems enough interest. The Tdi member concentration isnt very high per square mile, but is pretty high overall. Especially when factoring in the neighboring states. Getting all those folks to participate...thats the trick.....
That's because if you don't live in Texas you generally don't want to be there!

Austin, I call an oasis of not Texas right in the middle of Texas!
Crazy thing is, It's the capitol!

Either way you go, it's a looooong drive through Texas.
Everything is bigger and there's even signs, al down the interstate, warning you about messing with Texas!

Status
Not open for further replies.