Rear wheel bearing install mistake - what now?

timsch

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Mk4 Jetta (blue), 2003 Mk4 Jetta (black), 2011 Mk6 Jetta, all manuals
I am replacing the rear bearing on the Mk4. I couldn't get the bearing to go on with the axle stub on the car, so I took it off and pressed the bearing on with the shop press. I didn't think ahead, and now there is no clearance to install the bolts that hold the axle stub on.

When pulling the original bearing off with the 3-jaw puller, I saw that the bearing that came off was intact other than the inner race, as if I could reassemble it if I wanted to. It looks like my only option is to do the same with the new bearing, then install the stub with the inner race still on it, and then push on the rest of the bearing.

Is that my only option, or do I have others (other than scrap the whole bearing)?

bbob203

Veteran Member
TDI
b5.5v
I just swapped a wheel bearing from one axle beam to the other and did just this. I think the bearing will last plenty long enough. I would put it back together and run it.

timsch

Veteran Member
TDI
Glad to hear it.

I ordered FAG bearings, so they're decent quality but not as good as OEM. I only have 99K on the car, with likely original bearings. When I pulled the bearing off, I noticed it was in good shape and still had plenty of grease. The problem seemed to be that the race had a defect in it that had become a sizeable pit on the bottom side, probably 1-2mm wide and 3-4mm long. I didn't notice any pits on the bearings themselves.

Now I'm wondering if I should put the original bearing back on the FAG race, or put on the likely inferior FAG bearing. That's me splitting hairs - they'd likely last the same amount of time starting now.

p.s. Is it normal for the speed sensor to contact the ridged part of the bearing? The bearing was notchy when turning it by hand under the speed sensor.

bbob203

Veteran Member
TDI
b5.5v
Glad to hear it.

I ordered FAG bearings, so they're decent quality but not as good as OEM. I only have 99K on the car, with likely original bearings. When I pulled the bearing off, I noticed it was in good shape and still had plenty of grease. The problem seemed to be that the race had a defect in it that had become a sizeable pit on the bottom side, probably 1-2mm wide and 3-4mm long. I didn't notice any pits on the bearings themselves.

Now I'm wondering if I should put the original bearing back on the FAG race, or put on the likely inferior FAG bearing. That's me splitting hairs - they'd likely last the same amount of time starting now.

p.s. Is it normal for the speed sensor to contact the ridged part of the bearing? The bearing was notchy when turning it by hand under the speed sensor.
To be clear I pulled the hub leaving the inner race and dust shield on stub axle. I swapped over the stub axle and reinstalled the bearing onto the same race. In your case I wouldn’t out new onto old or vice versa. I would use exclusively new parts except you can definitely reuse the stub axle.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
If you are really good you can bend the dust shields and get a box end wrench to tighten. Your torque specs are as tight as you can get doing this though. Did that method on the 2 times totalled Golf that slide into curb.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

timsch

Veteran Member
TDI
If you are really good you can bend the dust shields and get a box end wrench to tighten. Your torque specs are as tight as you can get doing this though. Did that method on the 2 times totalled Golf that slide into curb.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Good idea. I've already done the other option. It seemed to go off without a hitch. fingers-crossed.