A3/B4 split intake hose substitute.

rallyruss

Veteran Member
TDI
98 TDI jetta, 05 passat wagon
I ordered a 45 deg. silicone hose for mine but it was too short. had to add a pipe and a straight section of hose. Its holding up fine but is leaking a bit. looking for a better fix. I wont use the rubber hose solution as Im sure it would fail at the worst possible time. You know, like when your wife who wants the car replaced is driving it.

Im guessing that we could have some custom made but it would probably cost as much as the dealer.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Use the rubber hose-I had mine on for over 2 years,and most of that was with a tune......just check it every oil change.

bloc

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
My concern with the non-OEM rubber hose is the inside layer deteriorating and possibly coming loose, then some part of it going into the intake manifold.

This isn't as simple as saying "it's cheap, replace it when it fails". Not that I like the OE $120 hose either.. just that I'm going to try and find a silicon replacement.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If you find some silicone hose that fits,please post part#,price and where purchased from.Use the rubber one as a temp. fix if the OEM has a split (like mine did).

snagster

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Had the same problem.....

Hose was split on the top. This was the one going into the turbo intake, right on the top right of the motor.

I was unable to get out so... I took it out and cleaned it really good with some carb and intake cleaner to get the grease off. Then I took some electric tape and double wrapped it really tight. Not my first choice, but it worked. No more hissing sound and no more LIMP mode.

Thanks...

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Maybe go over the black electrical tape w/ some black duct tape;).......maybe I'll try that-I kept the original one.

camocarmen

TDI
1998 Jetta
Thanks for the help, guys. I just picked up one of the NAPA 8460 hoses. I wanted to replace the clamps and the clerk suggested & sold me some heavy duty ones especially for diesels. I don't know if they'll make a difference but wanted to post that if any other newbies will benefit from the info.
Camo

redbeard

TDI
Golf, 2001 and 98 Jetta
One other option

I came up with another option for this intake hose section. I used to have the radiator hose fix. It blew out after 2 years, so I tried to find a better option this time.

In researching this, I found that McMaster-Carr has 100 psi hydraulic hose with a 6" bend radius - Perfect. The problem is their minimum order is 5' and with shipping it would have been ~ $60.

I ended up finding some 2" ID 150psi hydraulic suction hose locally that works great. In Rapid City we have a place called Industrial Supply Company sells it by the inch (.90/in). I bought 8" ~ $8.00 with tax. They also sell 150psi pressure hose but the suction hose seemed a bit more flexible.

The hardest part was getting a straight cut since there are wire supports molded into the tube. I used a chop saw with an abrasive wheel to get a decent cut - with a LOT of smoke.

It was a bit of a fight trying to get it to fit the bend so I used screw clamps to make sure it doesn't pull itself off.

Hopefully this helps the next TDI in limp mode.

P.S. I've got a pic, but am having trouble getting it to show up in this post. If I get it figured out, I'll add it.

redbeard

TDI
Golf, 2001 and 98 Jetta
Sorry, can't figure out the image posting thing. Maybe I don't have the right permissions or something cause I don't see the "Manage Attachments" button that the FAQ says I should have.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
And another bump for another member:rolleyes:-wish this could get a sticky.......
Just ask or better yet get somebody to make a FAQ thread with links to other threads like this one :)

Tinman265

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen Sunroof/Nav Platnium Grey Metallic, Titan Black Interior, 6 speed manual. Took the buyback 1-6-17 - Loan payoff 1-17-17
Summit racing sells a 2" - 45° silicone hose that is 6" long on each end. You can even get different colors! Got the angled hose out of it and 2 - 2-3" long interconnecting hoses. Win win.

16vjohn

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
This is the one I used on my 98', it has lasted years already, but it does sweat a little oil. I just wipe it off every time I do oil changes. It hasn't gotten soft and has never blown off.

Here is another choice for a replacement hose.
This one nails the molded angle perfectly.
Something like $11.00- makes 2

mikerancourt

TDI
1998 Jetta
FYI

If you need to know, the hose from napa can be cross referenced to a 1990 >> Chevrolet Truck >> K1500 1/2 Ton 4WD - Pickup >> 6.2 L 379 CID V8 Diesel

Upper radiator hose

Yep a diesel
The Autozone part number for the upper radiator hose for the 1990 k1500 diesel is E71476. I haven't tried it yet, and obviously, I think Napa is a better place to get parts, but I'm posting this for folks who might be in a pinch and need to get it at Autozone.

Mousey1

TDI
MK3 jetta
quick questions guyssss

quick question guys i need the hose that runs from the intercooler to the egr its the rubber hose in the front of the bay on the drivers side is this what you guys are talking about or is this for the hose that goes from the egr to the hard piece

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
quick question guys i need the hose that runs from the intercooler to the egr its the rubber hose in the front of the bay on the drivers side is this what you guys are talking about or is this for the hose that goes from the egr to the hard piece
From the egr to the hard piece....

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
This discussion thread is for a replacement hose from intake manifold (where EGR is located) to first hard plastic intercooler pipe, but only on Mk3 tdi cars. B4 cars use a different hose in that location.

Is the location above what you're talking about?

Steve

Stromaluski

Veteran Member
TDI
'67 Deluxe Bus, '80 Rabbit Truck, '92 Corrado, '10 Cup Edition
Here is another choice for a replacement hose.
This one nails the molded angle perfectly.
Something like $11.00- makes 2

Just updating for anyone needing this info.
http://www.amazon.com/Gates-21405-L..._1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1256866691&sr=1-1

Compatibility Chart

F-250 1983-1987 6.9L V8 Lower w/AIR COND MOLDED COOLANT HOSE
F-250 1988-1993 7.3L V8 Lower w/AIR CONDOLDED COOLANT HOSE
F-250 1994 7.3L V8Lower EXC F ENG CODEw/31" WIDE RAD
F-350 1983-1987 6.9L V8 Lower w/AIR CONDMOLDED COOLANT HOSE
F-350 1988-1993 7.3L V8 Lower w/AIR CONDMOLDED COOLANT HOSE
F-350 1994 7.3L V8 Lower EXC F ENG CODEw/31" WIDE RAD
Autozone part #C71216. FYI. Just blew this hose on mine. :(

Sleet

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta, 98, black
Looks like somebody in Poland is making a reproduction.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252033628703
That's a great find!

Has anyone here tried this hose? and if so how did it fir/work? Does it fit as good as the OEM part?

I used a radiator hose about 6-10 years back (can't remember exactly when it blew out) but it finally has gotten to the point where I think it's leaking and causing my limp mode issue.

I'm curious about this reproduction part from Poland but just figured I'd ask if anyone had tried it yet since it shows 21 people have purchased it on ebay as of today (8-22-2016)

Stromaluski

Veteran Member
TDI
'67 Deluxe Bus, '80 Rabbit Truck, '92 Corrado, '10 Cup Edition
Looks like somebody in Poland is making a reproduction.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252033628703
That's a great find!

Has anyone here tried this hose? and if so how did it fir/work? Does it fit as good as the OEM part?

I used a radiator hose about 6-10 years back (can't remember exactly when it blew out) but it finally has gotten to the point where I think it's leaking and causing my limp mode issue.

I'm curious about this reproduction part from Poland but just figured I'd ask if anyone had tried it yet since it shows 21 people have purchased it on ebay as of today (8-22-2016)
I bought one, and have been very happy with it so far. I had a radiator hose for about a week. It has a larger wall thickness than the factory hose, which makes the clamps a bit of a bear to take on/off. Reproduction looks almost exactly like factory to me, based off of memory since I got rid of my factory hose before getting the reproduction one. I'd definitely buy another one.

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat daily, a bunch of others in the graveyard out back...
Sleet;5130026 I used a radiator hose about 6-10 years back (can't remember exactly when it blew out) but it finally has gotten to the point where I think it's leaking and causing my limp mode issue. [/QUOTE said:
I have no idea how you got that long out of a generic radiator hose... i replace mine every year as it gets soft from oil. if that ebay hose holds up for even 2-3 years.. id say its worth its price, and i suspect it will last much longer if it really is made to be oil resistant as the ad says.

GEE-BEE

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9 AAZ
VW Turbo Pressure Hose Part Number "1H0 145 838 F"

BORA PRTS HAS ONE IN STOCK ( FIRST ARTICLE )

WE HAVE 12 IN PRODUCTION FOR THEM RIGHT NOW...

GEE-BEE

otm646

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 AHU Jetta.
I bought 2 of the reproductions from Poland. They were a bit thicker (wall diameter) than the original hose but they held up well for 2+ years before I sold the car.

It's a solid buy.

garciapiano

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI (1Z)
I too have the polish “pressure pipe”. It is holding up fine with zero issues on my 1Z. Solid value and a fraction of the cost of the genuine part.