A3/B4 split intake hose substitute.

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M

$17 at NAPA. I was able to cut it in two places, and get two replacements from one hose. It fits a bit tighter due to a slightly smaller inside diameter, but I'd rather it be tight than loose. and as far as material goes, I don't really care how long it lasts, they cost me less than $10 a piece and it takes about 5min. to install so if it blows out within 10K miles, so what...
Sure beats the $75 that VW wants for it:rolleyes:
Hope that helps someone.

Locosmotion

Veteran Member
TDI
1999, Beetle TDI White
Excatly my thoughts. 10-20 bux for a radiator hose can be replaced 3 times for what vw wants. BTW my autozone #175 replacement is still holding, I havent driven the car much but it shows no signs of swelling from the oil.

Bookerdog

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL TDI - BLACK
Good find runonbeer. And the picture has the part number clearly visible. For the search engine I will put, you can replace the intake manifold boost hose with part number pn # 8460 from NAPA or Autozone 175

braunfels_tx_tdi

TDI
A3,98,white
hey that looks better than the way I jimmy'd mine!

Hey I also need to come clear this code when you have a chance.

geez

Veteran Member
TDI
Jets-'10, '09, '98-sold
Thanks for the part number on the hose!!! Easier than trying to look 12 feet in the air and guess at each hose and make the guy bring another hose down...

Oo-v-oO

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta Expired... Now 2000 Golf & 2002 Golf
I tried two different Autozones and they both said #175 was an incomplete number, there was supposed to be a letter in front of it. Either one of the pimply-faced kids behind the counter could figure out what that letter might be. There's only 26 possibilities....

I picked up the NAPA hose, just a shade under $20. Fits pretty well, thanks! My original hose almost made it to 200K, I think it began splitting at 199,850 miles. I have the leftover piece in the trunk as a spare.

airic

TDI
Jetta, 1998, Bleu
FYI

If you need to know, the hose from napa can be cross referenced to a 1990 >> Chevrolet Truck >> K1500 1/2 Ton 4WD - Pickup >> 6.2 L 379 CID V8 Diesel

Upper radiator hose

Yep a diesel

braunfels_tx_tdi

TDI
A3,98,white
I used a straight piece and forced the bend and it's still working, Robby's is cleaner looking though.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
Here is another choice for a replacement hose.
This one nails the molded angle perfectly.
Something like $11.00- makes 2

Reactions: Rig

Stan TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1997 1Z (RIP), 2002 Jetta GLS, 2002 Jetta GLS, 2006 Jetta Pkg 1
A question about the hose

runonbeer said:

$17 at NAPA. I was able to cut it in two places, and get two replacements from one hose. It fits a bit tighter due to a slightly smaller inside diameter, but I'd rather it be tight than loose. and as far as material goes, I don't really care how long it lasts, they cost me less than $10 a piece and it takes about 5min. to install so if it blows out within 10K miles, so what...
Sure beats the $75 that VW wants for it:rolleyes:
Hope that helps someone.
I went to NAPA to pick up this hose and the one that matches this part number is almost an S shape. I want to make sure it is the right one. The part was for a slightly different vehicle also. Comments please?:confused:

darkscout

Grammar Scout
TDI
2003 Golf
Stan TDI said:
I went to NAPA to pick up this hose and the one that matches this part number is almost an S shape. I want to make sure it is the right one. The part was for a slightly different vehicle also. Comments please?:confused:
He cut in in 2 and got 2 parts. That looks like 1/2 of an 'S' to me.

Stan TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1997 1Z (RIP), 2002 Jetta GLS, 2002 Jetta GLS, 2006 Jetta Pkg 1
Thank you for your response darkscout. However, it does not really answer my question. I would appreciate a response from anyone who actually used this part. The way I see using this part is to cut off the first part of the S since this is basically a half oval. The second part of the S is more like the Carqwest part above. There is also a slight twist in the second part. Comments from anyone who has actually used this please?

CaptainKirk

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2002, Black
Split Intake Hose substitute

I know Stan TDI has probably fixed his hose by now but I just used the Napa replacement hose and it worked just fine. It gives a very snug fit and is flexible enough to do the job. The price is up to $23.xx with a Napa discount card compared to $99 + shipping from Impex or more from the stealer dealers. You also get 2 for the price so I have a spare when one of the hoses on another car splits.

I would have used the CarQuest hose Jetaah refers to with the exact angles on the hose but we don't have any CarQuest stores in our area.

Last edited:

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
I think I have about 2yrs. on the one I have now(at least 30k miles)-and it is kinda greasy feeling(oil seepage through rubber) now-time to put the 2nd half of original hose on.I did keep the oem hose as a backup also....

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
You may want to consider wrapping those rubber hoses with Zip ties. The rubber once it begins to get soaked with oil from the inside gets spongy and deteriorates. They will expand easier then the boost hoses because the hose even when new is weaker then the OEM boost hoses but after being soaked in oil they get progressivly weaker. The Zip ties will help reenforce them.

JetBlu

TDI
2002 Jetta
Just updating for anyone needing this info.
http://www.amazon.com/Gates-21405-Lower-Radiator-Hose/dp/B000C2WC5C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1256866691&sr=1-1

Compatibility Chart

F-250 1983-1987 6.9L V8 Lower w/AIR COND MOLDED COOLANT HOSE
F-250 1988-1993 7.3L V8 Lower w/AIR CONDOLDED COOLANT HOSE
F-250 1994 7.3L V8Lower EXC F ENG CODEw/31" WIDE RAD
F-350 1983-1987 6.9L V8 Lower w/AIR CONDMOLDED COOLANT HOSE
F-350 1988-1993 7.3L V8 Lower w/AIR CONDMOLDED COOLANT HOSE
F-350 1994 7.3L V8 Lower EXC F ENG CODEw/31" WIDE RAD

JETaah said:
Here is another choice for a replacement hose.
This one nails the molded angle perfectly.
Something like $11.00- makes 2

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
I put the old OEM hose back on for the heck of it- a week or so after I did,I could hear a different noise coming fron under the hood on heavy acceleration-then I noticed the back corner of the valve cover was wet w/ oil-finally looked at it closer and the OEM hose had a split....I put the second piece I got from hose #21405 on and all is well again.

papadelogan

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4 TDI
Out of curiosity, does someone have a picture of the engine showing which hose we're talking about please? I'm still new to my TDI. Thanx!!

papadelogan

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4 TDI
My B4 doesn't have this hose. All hard plastic tubes with rubber "joins" that are maybe 2" - 3" in length. Is this only for A3's then?

MTjake

Veteran Member
TDI
It looks identical to the hose that exits the intercooler on the B4's before it joins a hard plastic hose trending upwards (in front of the left front wheel well, underneath). One of these split open on the wagon that uses higher boost. I don't know if it's the same VW part, but the replacements shown here ought to work for either application.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
papadelogan said:
My B4 doesn't have this hose. All hard plastic tubes with rubber "joins" that are maybe 2" - 3" in length. Is this only for A3's then?
Correct, A3 only for the intercooler pipe to intake hose.