1996 Passat TDI No Start

Gus3

TDI
96 TDI Passat
I am in the process of helping a neighbor who has a 96 TDI Passat. What it is not doing is starting will not turn over I get no rotation of the starter.

What I have tested was the control plug at the starter (black/red) wire no power with the key to start. Then I moved back to the clutch switch (brown / red/white) and no power with the key to start.

Should I be looking for a fuse or relay that provides power or do I go directly to the ignition switch?

I have no experience with VW but a lot of experience with Jaguars. I am a little handy with tools and do my best to find the problem and why.

If you could give me a little guidance it would be greatly appreciated.

Gus
www.jagrepair.com

MarsBar

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V#2 "Flash", 2000 Jetta GL, B4V#1 "PaTuDI" (2008-2018 RIP)
Is it cranking but not turning over, or is there absolutely no sound or activity or anything when the key is turned? Is the GP light coming on in the dash?

No GP light, check the infamous Relay 109.

Nothing at all when turning the key, check the ignition switch itself.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Clutch switch has no control of the starter on a B4. Connect the starter solenoid directly to the battery and it should crank. If not, I’d suspect the starter.

Otherwise, the switch or lead to the starter solenoid could be faulty. This assumes you have power going to the main starter lug.

-Todd

Gus3

TDI
96 TDI Passat
Lights come on on the dash but no clicking or movement at the starter motor.

Gus

Is it cranking but not turning over, or is there absolutely no sound or activity or anything when the key is turned? Is the GP light coming on in the dash?

Gus3

TDI
96 TDI Passat
The only wiring diagram I could find shows a safety switch on the clutch linkage and I checked that switch for control power but no joy.

I am getting no power the control plug located on the starter. I have checked the power and grounds to the starter from the battery and all are good.

Gus

Clutch switch has no control of the starter on a B4. Connect the starter solenoid directly to the battery and it should crank. If not, I’d suspect the starter.

Otherwise, the switch or lead to the starter solenoid could be faulty. This assumes you have power going to the main starter lug.

-Todd

Gus3

TDI
96 TDI Passat
What is the GP light? Sorry this is not my car.

Gus

MarsBar

Veteran Member
TDI
Glow Plug
I'd look at the ignition switch. Sounds like it's worn out.

Gus3

TDI
96 TDI Passat
Sorry I did not know what GP stands for I never worked on a Diesel before and will check. I am inclined at this point to think the ignition switch is the issue but wanted to be sure.

I am a bit concerned about removing the airbag never fooled around with them before. It is my understanding to remove power then wait for about 20min then remove the plug then remove the steering wheel and the rest of the stuff in the way.

Gus

Glow Plug
I'd look at the ignition switch. Sounds like it's worn out.

MarsBar

Veteran Member
TDI
Do a search here on this model specific forum. There's a great write-up (or a link?), with pictures, of how to do it. This is the place to learn everything you need to know about TDI's!

Gus3

TDI
96 TDI Passat
Thank you all for your help. I found the thread that covered the switch replacement.

Gus

Do a search here on this model specific forum. There's a great write-up (or a link?), with pictures, of how to do it. This is the place to learn everything you need to know about TDI's!

Gus3

TDI
96 TDI Passat
Replaced the switch and no joy. Checked voltage at the starter control wire "Red/Black" at the starter still no power.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)

You ruled out the switch. Did you rule out what’s in bold?

Rigging up a jumper wire and doing a continuity/resistance test, would have been faster/easier than replacing the switch.

-Todd

Gus3

TDI
96 TDI Passat
I did a continuity test from the Red/Black lead at the switch plug to the Red/Black at the starter and got a reading of 0.54 ohms note that the Red/Black was still connected to the starter.
Is this a direct line to the starter or do I have a relay, fuse or plug between them?

Gus3

TDI
96 TDI Passat
Found the problem! The switch I got was bad and the second switch fixed the problem. I would suggest testing the switch prior to putting it back together. Thanks for the help. On the road again!