97 Jetta Tdi not getting fuel to injection pump

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
It seems that you have answered your own questions with what you want to do, then ask us what to do. go do what you want bro, we aint stopping you.
You refuse to diagnose the issue and insist on putting a pump inline.
If you have air in the system and you just force pump it into the IP, you are going to KILL THE FUG out of that pump and the car will need a new pump just to run regardless of how many inline pumps from pep boys you put on it.
Your pump bandaid is a ticking time bomb potentially if your IP is going to get starved with surplus air. Its bad enough we dont get to pump sulfur any more as it make those pumps last a long time.
What i said was to diagnose your problem, like most here have said is to check and or replace the filter and check your lines but you seem hell bent on making us all say that your pump is a good idea when it is NOT.
Have fun, you have been given all the information you need and we cant help you any more.
There are many threads about inline and in tank fuel pumps and why and how they work and how to hook them up and everything. Scott's Stealth TDI was the first place i found about putting in a pump and there are like 20 threads here about intanks and inline pumps. Do some reading and stop trying to convince us otherwise.

nick1rankin

TDI
jetta
There is no air in the system and my whole point of this post was more or less to see if there was a simple fix and if not then I was just going to make it work. How do yall not comprehend at this at all? That's what I have been saying but you people are the least understanding people I've ever dealt with. I'm really missing Cummins forum where people read and understand things lol

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

nick1rankin

TDI
jetta
By the way I change all the filters on stuff like this as soon as I get them because people who drive them on the norm run junky biodiesel vegetable oil and other stupid ****. I assumed surely everyone would just assume as well that I changed the damn fuel filter lol
I'm sorry that I did not clarify that. Once again for the 40th time my whole point in this post was to find out if something simple might fix my problem. Now I have came to the conclusion that my ip is bad so I made it work and that's that. I just checked my mileage and it's at 46 mpg with $874 in this car including registration so done against yalls code of Tdi conduct or not who cares haha

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
First time you have mentioned any other work to the car OTHER than your ghetto pump

nick1rankin

TDI
jetta
First time you have mentioned any other work to the car OTHER than your ghetto pump
Why dont you come fix it then great guru if you don't like said pump. You do realize that other other engines which utilize the same style pump use an external lift pump right? Do you comprehend anything I've said so far or do you need your overpriced Vw mechanic to explain it to you?

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
You ought to have a better attitude when you come on here asking for help.

We aren't psychic. We don't know what you've done. You shouldn't expect people to waste time trying to sort out your conflicting statements.

I'm still wondering if you actually disconnected the fuel inlet line from the IP, ran the electric pump and verified flow.

nick1rankin

TDI
jetta

We aren't psychic. We don't know what you've done. You shouldn't expect people to waste time trying to sort out your conflicting statements.

I'm still wondering if you actually disconnected the fuel inlet line from the IP, ran the electric pump and verified flow.
I had a great attitude. I caught attitude from a couple clueless people who never even remotely attempted to answer the question I asked or was completely lost about the lift pump. I guess you can't read either. I'm accustomed to people who assume the small stuff like filters and such have been addressed. That's the first thing you do with a new vehicle. I simply wanted to know if there was a quirk or known issue that's easy to fix or if I was just looking at a broken pump.

nick1rankin

TDI
jetta

If anyone on here would read I disconnected the lift pump and cracked the injectors and had fuel at idle but it only runs for a short time while driving without the lift pump inline.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
it seems you are the one who does not read our posts. I have given you all the information you need to run an external pump, how much pressure, how to hook it up, and what pumps to use in the future if your current ghetto pump does not cut the mustard. We have all told you what you need to know to fix common issues. Your attitude is piss poor, im sure its a great attitude over there with your friends at the cummins forums. n.

Last edited:

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
I reread your first post and see there was a reading comprehension failure on my part. Sorry about that.

Seems it could still be a restriction in the pickup in the tank where the electric pump is adding a little extra suck.

I don't recall seeing that you have VCDS. If you're going to work on TDI's you should get it. Observing the IQ could be informative.