power loss

z14ben

TDI
2000 Jetta
Hey everyone, I have 285,000km (178,000mi) on my tdi. When accelerating from 0-100km (62mi) in second and third the revs seem to dip a bit in the higher range. So I'll be driving normally, and then when it hits around 3400 rpm it either cuts back a couple hundred rpm or just freezes there for a few seconds before keep revving up to 4000 or so when it shifts up. I wouldn't think that it would be the tranny trying to shift (auto) but then changing its mind because I do have my foot pressed pretty far down on the accelerator. I have a couple things in mind. 1) Intake manifold is clogged. I don't know if its ever been cleaned or not, so I feel like that could be the problem. 2) boost issues? I'm not very competent in the turbo world, so i could be way off on this one. It pulls just fine at lower rpm's though. Im planning on pulling it apart on saturday and cleaning the carbon from the intake. Any other opinions/ideas before I do? And no, im not going to EGR delete. I like my car to start in the winter and diesel fuel is supposed to be a lot better for deposits than it used to

Last edited:

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Could possibly be going into limp mode. Does it seem to lose power overall?

Check your snow screen. Gotta remove the air box to get to it, it's the pipe that goes into the fender from the air box. Past that, check your intake like you're already planning to do.

z14ben

TDI
2000 Jetta
Could possibly be going into limp mode. Does it seem to lose power overall?
Check your snow screen. Gotta remove the air box to get to it, it's the pipe that goes into the fender from the air box. Past that, check your intake like you're already planning to do.
I don't think it's going into limp mode. No CEL's ever run on my car and it runs perfectly fine after that. Like I can run from 0-60km quite quick, but from 60-100km is really slow, but if I keep pushing it I can hit 180km/h which I don't think you'd be able to do in limp mode.

As for snow screen, I already ripped it out. Air filter is in good condition. Is a boost leak still a possible scenario?

My friend's old tdi used to go into limp mode and the CEL would run right away. He'd be cruising on the freeway, shove his car into neutral, and restart it while driving at freeway speeds.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've done that when mine was going into limp mode...

A boost leak could do it, but I'd also check your MAF, I've seen it play weird speed limiting issues before and not trigger a CEL

z14ben

TDI
2000 Jetta
I've done that when mine was going into limp mode...
A boost leak could do it, but I'd also check your MAF, I've seen it play weird speed limiting issues before and not trigger a CEL

Hmm well thats not the worst he'd do either. Only his driver window would work so he'd turn the car off, key out of the ignition, reach out of his window and hold unlock his car to get the rest of the windows open and then key in the ignition and get back up to speed :rolleyes:

What am I looking for when I check the MAF?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Holy cow what a freakin daredevil lol

If you have VCDS, do a log of the MAF sensor, it's specified should be very close to actual.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Guessing you have no CEL. Something like that will sometimes store a code. Happening repeatably will trigger the CEL. Limp mode and low power are essentially the same thing for troubleshooting. Check the turbo actuator.

z14ben

TDI
2000 Jetta
Guessing you have no CEL. Something like that will sometimes store a code. Happening repeatably will trigger the CEL. Limp mode and low power are essentially the same thing for troubleshooting. Check the turbo actuator.
Ok, so there may be a code with no light? And would this code only be readable with a VCDS or will generic scanners give that as well.

I will check up on the actuator. Hope it's an air problem because I don't know much about turbos.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If there's a pending code, it will not turn on the CEL, but it should be readable with a generic scan tool.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
That's what I was trying to say^.... If it happens over and over it will turn on the light. Interweb guessing it's happening over and over.

z14ben

TDI
2000 Jetta
Holy cow what a freakin daredevil lol

If you have VCDS, do a log of the MAF sensor, it's specified should be very close to actual.
Just unplugged the maf and my car instantly became super sluggish. Wouldn't a bad maf make it more powerful?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
That's not always a definitive test, but it tells you the MAF is doing something. With no signal from the MAF certain devices only operate within certain parameters, default mode. Car should run O.K., not full power, but super sluggish makes me suspect something else may be amiss. Further troubleshooting is next.

Shoveltrev

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 new beetle deceased, 2003 jetta . 2002 jetta , 2012 sportwagon
plus 1 on maf .my automatic has a dip in that spot too. goes away when i swap my other cars maf on. then other car picks up the dip. graphed it requested vs desired and can see it with vcds

z14ben

TDI
2000 Jetta
Got a pic through my EGR as well. Looks like I have Saturdays work cut out for me

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Oh boy. Yep try not to get it on your clothes, and wear gloves. Probably the hardest stuff to get off of your hands ever.

workinman

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta 2001 Jetta 95 Dodge diesel 4x4
Hey everyone, I have 285,000km (178,000mi) on my tdi. When accelerating from 0-100km (62mi) in second and third the revs seem to dip a bit in the higher range. So I'll be driving normally, and then when it hits around 3400 rpm it either cuts back a couple hundred rpm or just freezes there for a few seconds before keep revving up to 4000 or so when it shifts up. I wouldn't think that it would be the tranny trying to shift (auto) but then changing its mind because I do have my foot pressed pretty far down on the accelerator. I have a couple things in mind. 1) Intake manifold is clogged. I don't know if its ever been cleaned or not, so I feel like that could be the problem. 2) boost issues? I'm not very competent in the turbo world, so i could be way off on this one. It pulls just fine at lower rpm's though. Im planning on pulling it apart on saturday and cleaning the carbon from the intake. Any other opinions/ideas before I do? And no, im not going to EGR delete. I like my car to start in the winter and diesel fuel is supposed to be a lot better for deposits than it used to
I was going to suggest a clogged intake . I not sure but I was wondering if checking to boost pressure some way might give some insight here. Your sure its not going into a limp mode . A few weeks ago I had a hose come off the vacuum system and the damn transmission would not up shift very good . I hate automatics any way but after I had time to think I realized the engine was in a limp mode . IS the fuel filter good

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hey how come your speedo has a red line on the 55mph mark? Haven't seen that on cars in forever lol

Yeah it definitely sounds like it's suffocating bad.

z14ben

TDI
2000 Jetta
Hey how come your speedo has a red line on the 55mph mark? Haven't seen that on cars in forever lol
Yeah it definitely sounds like it's suffocating bad.
It's a red line on the 50km/h mark. That's the standard city speed limit here in Canada. American clusters don't have it. I'm pretty sure Canada is the only market with the line. Not sure why as its not regulated here. I just looked up at german clusters and they have a mark at 30km/h as well.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It's a red line on the 50km/h mark. That's the standard city speed limit here in Canada. American clusters don't have it. I'm pretty sure Canada is the only market with the line. Not sure why as its not regulated here. I just looked up at german clusters and they have a mark at 30km/h as well.

It was a ruling that was standardized in the early 80s to help people manage their fuel economy, as back then cars sucked at eco. Had an old F250 from 1980 that had an oval over the 55, and my 91 camaro had red numbers for the 55 wheras the rest were white. Just donned on me, my 1990 F350 has the 55 highlighted too. So I guess in the 90's somewhere the Americas decided it wasn't necessary anymore.