Difficulty of a turbo swap?

gimpster

TDI
2015 Audi A3 TDI, 2013 VW Passat TDI (retired)
I'm starting to plan the next phase of my performance upgrades for my 2015 A3 (8V, CRUA engine) and I'm giving serious consideration to the Stage 3 kit from KermaTDI, but I'm trying to get a clear picture of what's involved in the operation before I jump in because this car is my daily driver and I need to be sure that I can complete the work in a weekend, before I need to commute back to work. I've found some videos where people are showing sort of a "highlights" reel of turbo swaps for similar (slightly older) models of this engine, but nothing that goes into detail. I find that it's the details, the little "gotchas", and the non-obvious precautions that tend to derail these kind of projects, so I'm trying to find out as much ahead of time as I can. If anyone can point me to a detailed breakdown of the work involved with a similar engine, then I would really appreciate it.

For context on the difficulty level: I consider myself an intermediate level mechanic. Over the years, I've done some more difficult upgrades for suspension and exhaust, I've pulled an engine from a totaled Civic, and replaced a transmission on an '86 Mercedes 300E. So, like I said, I'm not afraid of getting into the guts, I'm afraid of not being able to complete it fast enough with everything done right. It's my daily driver that I put 1k miles/week on, so I can't really afford extra downtime, like when I lost 2 weeks searching for a wrench big enough to loosen the center locking nut on the driveshaft for that Mercedes so I could finish removing the old transmission. :)

IanMichael

TDI
2011 A3 TDI
Hey Gimpster, I’m just carousing these entries and really feeling for those entries like yours that fall on deaf ears. Responses to anyone’s cries for help seem to go unanswered. I’m in the middle of a turbo swap out and am stalled by the massive amount of sensors, cabling etc. I’ve watched so many YouTube on doing the job yet my car is so much more complex. (It has the engine hanging out with the umbilical still connected so I can get behind it!) So, if you want my advice dont even think about a weekend swap out. How did you do?

McGuirk

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A3 TDI
The CBEA turbo is a 4ish hour removal if on jacks. Had to disconnect the axel, remove the EGR cooler, and the down pipe. Going back in is a monster of a job if you are stock. Probably 6ish hrs. If you opt to delete the EGR cooler and DPF/stock down pipe it's probably about a 2hr install. This is the CBEA though. On the newer 2015 TDI engine I have no experience. I'd assume it's similar but you know what assuming does. Make sure you buy new banjo bolt and gasket for the oil drain. You need a manifold gasket and manifold nuts as well. Difficulty is probably a 6-7. No vcds needed if the VNT actuator is already set properly.