The end of another B4V

wyopel

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 B4V-270k, 1998 Jetta-140k
Our daily driver B4V was rear ended hard a couple of days ago. Pretty sure there is no fixing this one. We are very sad to see it go. Just did the timing belt last week too.

Now on to the battle with the insurance companies. So am asking if anyone knows of any recent comps. I am guessing insurance will total and offer $2500
for it. Of course I want to get as much as possible. PM me if you know of anything.

Also, my plan is to buy it back an part it out. I will let y'all know when that happens.

Not sure if I will try and get another one. We loved it, but not sure I want to go through finding and fixing one up again.

wyopel

Veteran Member
TDI

Not pretty. Broke out the glass. No one hurt though.

Jetta SS

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta
Another one rear ended. Think if I had a B4 I'd put extra brake lights or maybe a beefed up steel bumper for the rear.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
Ouch, same thing happened to mine but no glass broke. Had the frame pulled and some rear quarter panel repair all done for $1500 and I was back on the road.

wyopel

Veteran Member
TDI
In November I was rear ended in my 1998 Jetta. It was still driveable though. Insurance totaled it, but I bought it back and had the frame pulled straight for for $700. I essentially netted $2000 after the settlement and repairs were done... which is more than what I bought the car for.

This one is too far gone.

I haven't been in an accident in 20 years...two in the last two months. Neither my fault, but that's the way it goes sometimes.

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
thats a shame. was it hit on the rear bumper? enough to push the body and probably the frame.
frame straightenings are take them as they turn out after the work. its easy, you dont get back the same car you had before the accident. sometimes you can 'adjust' suspension (parts) to try to make ride even, straight. i suppose often enough car never rides right, and will ride like sh*t.
sorry to hear you lost a nice mk3, -b4.

MarsBar

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V#2 "Flash", 2000 Jetta GL, B4V#1 "PaTuDI" (2008-2018 RIP)
How timely this post is! I was just in Small Claims court this morning to get fair market value for my totaled B4V and used 2 comps from Washington state. I proved to the judge that the settlement Liberty Mutual should have offered back in July of $6500 (incl'g tax, fees, etc) was fair. Right now, there aren't any legitimate comps up on CraigsList, so keep checking and DO NOT accept a piddly $2500. I can pretty much guarantee you they're using gassers to get that number. Be prepared to counter everything they throw at you with cold, hard facts, especially the valuation report from CCC. Because of the scarcity of the B4V, CCC can't have the "data sufficient to make a statistically valid valuation" report (quoting the Calif Fair Claims Settlement Act). Liberty's first offer was $2960, they made 4 more before getting to $5733. The entire time, value was a consistent $6000.

See if Washington has any Fair Claims Settlement requirements and memorize them! They will be your best friend.

Good luck!!!

Last edited:

wyopel

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the reply. I just got the first offer of $3080. I responded "no", with a bunch of receipts for upgrades and one comp...but as you say it was not a good one. I would love to know what all you ended up needing to do...what WA state comps you used. PM me if you can. I'm not sure I want to go to court over it, but would like to get a couple thousand more of course. Your claim might be helpful.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
most (if not all) insurace coverage and payouts DO NOT pay out on upgrades or repairs done. If you drop a performance chip or clutch ect, you just eat the cost. Some members have been able to get them comped but 90% chance you wont be able to. In my state its called hot rod insurance.
Never take the first offer.
good luck, glad you all are safe.
Sorry to see it go.

wyopel

Veteran Member
TDI
I hear you...upgrades may not pay out. But no other real recent comps I can find so I did the best I could at this point. Also pointed out the rarity of these cars (only 600 or so still registered, etc.). The comps i think are key, but if the car is rare so are the comps.

MarsBar

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V#2 "Flash", 2000 Jetta GL, B4V#1 "PaTuDI" (2008-2018 RIP)
In Calif, we have the Fair Claims Settlement Act that spells out requirements for comps and establishing fair market value. Very useful. Decode the VINs of the cars they used as comps. Odds are they found sedans, since they're more common. In Calif sedans aren't "like kind" so they can't be used. That's your first battle in the war. Be prepared for several months of back & forth, keeping them on task and playing by whatever the rules are in WA.

wyopel

Veteran Member
TDI
I just got word back that they are accepting one of the upgrades, but will only take comps from dealers. No private sales. When is the last time anyone saw a b4v sold at a dealer? It seems I need to push the case on the rarity of these cars.

quartersaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon, '96 B4V,'99 2 door Golf
I just got word back that they are accepting one of the upgrades, but will only take comps from dealers. No private sales. When is the last time anyone saw a b4v sold at a dealer? It seems I need to push the case on the rarity of these cars.
If all else fails, turn it into a pickup truck. There are kits out there for MkIV's, as a suggestion.
I feel your pain.I let my brother in law borrow my '96 B4V. He forgot to set the parking brake, and it coasted down the driveway, and the front end got mashed. I have it in my barn, and I'm determined to get it roadworthy again, in spite of 405K on the clock.......

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
My advice, if you have another vehicle to use, is to drag it out as long as you can and just reject everything that comes your way. Eventually the management will want it settled and they will come to the table with better attitude.

As for accepting upgrades, continue to push for more consideration for work done and your improvements. They cannot just dismiss custom work. Continue to use the figures you have and just keep pushing ahead, I would not give them one inch since in the end they will pay you fraction of what it's worth. If you have to send duplicate letters with minor modifications then do that, and be sure and document everything you get from them, you want everything in writing so they can't back down later.

As for their use of only dealer sales I would ask for specific published documentation where that's stated and would suggest that maybe involve state insurance commissioner if necessary. This item specifically sounds like something they pulled out of their ass and I would bet it's not documented anywhere or is even enforceable. This may be something the state insurance commission can answer. At the very least you will want documentation showing that they've used this criteria before, with dates.

Hope you get what you want, unfortunately cars like this are outside the norm for insurance companies and they don't really have the time, or desire, to deal with them. They want quick settlements where people are confused and don't think about things lost. Getting these types to slow down and deal with you on your terms is difficult at best, but just remember you are in control and there is a limit to how much they can drag their heels. They need to resolve these before their company year end and closing their books for the year.

Steve