Does anyone still daily drive an AHU

garciapiano

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI (1Z)
My ‘97 Jetta with the 1Z is still chugging along and handling 600+mi weekly(!) with 205000+ mi.

For someone who drives as much as I do, a TDI has been a godsend. I now spend half what I was spending in gasoline. Now I’m looking at a clutch soon, i have a feeling i still have the stock one in there.

Crusty

TDI
98 Jetta
I daily drive my 98. I had a 2014 sport wagon that VW bought back, and I was glad to get the 98. The fuel efficiency makes driving a pleasure. Instead of worrying or trying to over plan trips, I just drive. I love it!

Dieselfiend

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Red TDI
98 daily driver with 320K miles on it. I live in an arid climate and have minimal rust. However, within the last 50k miles, I've replaced just about every accessory on the engine. I've also replaced each window regulator at least once as well as quite a few interior components. It also springs up quite a few leaks from various places every winter when temps get into the teens.

97B4TDi

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 B4 Passat, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
I daily drive my 1Z 1997 Passat. Love it; these TDIs have so much "heart & soul" it's hard to imagine driving something else. hah

319,000 and still ticking.

TDIray

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta, 99 NB & 03 Golf TDI's
I still drive my 1998 to work daily. Runs great. Always maintained. Gets 50 mpg easy. 282k on clock

kzoc

Veteran Member
TDI
97 A3 Jetta 1.9 TDI, and 6 Volvo's!
So...

I put the 97 Jetta AHU up for a couple years. The electrical with the instrument cluster goto bad that I wasn't comfortable driving the car (no fuel gauge, temp, tach, speedo, clock or odd), although still running fine. I want this to car to run right and last, so I just parked it while waiting to find the right repair person. After spending much money on shops and parts, I finally got an opportunity to get it to a sharp mechanic that wasn't afraid of it.

Charged the battery, pulled it out of the garage, and promptly drove it 1600 miles. The cluster now works, and I can safely drive it home. Flying up to OH next week to pick it up, then back to sharing DD status with the 09 JSW TDI manual)

John Beyer

Veteran Member
TDI
Two 1998 Jettas, Classic Green and White TDI/GT, 1996 Passat Wgn, White, 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver
Wow, it's good to see so many responses. They're aren't too many left here in Northeast Ohio, because of the rust. I would be still driving my previous '98 if it wasn't for the rust. I plan to drive my new '98 GT, that I converted to a TDI, for yeas to come, although not in the winter. It spent most of it's life in Southern CA.

codeblue

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Vento GLX TDI
At 400,000 kms here

Took a break for a few years due to kids, and needed something reliable.

Now that they are in school and I have a bit more time, got the Jetta going again.

Only to discover that we are past the 20 year point and all parts are starting to go "NLA"

We are pretty much at the stage of the game where if you are still daily'ing these things, you are also a welder/fabricator, or know one.

chrisgt

TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
I have a 98 jetta (ahu) that I've been daily driving all summer. I'm not going to drive it in the winter (rust), but I have a lot of other cars.

The problem you run into with most older cars is that parts can take time to get. I'm fairly close to idparts, so I can get most things quickly, but you have to be prepared for downtime just because some basic part takes a week to source.

Otherwise, it took me a bunch of work to get my jetta to daily status, but OMG i love the car. It's just an amazing car to drive and gets fantastic fuel economy. No complaints there.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
The problem you run into with most older cars is that parts can take time to get.
These are old cars. I think anyone who’s daily driving one, probably has a back up car in case of downtime. I’ve got 5 backups….

-Todd

Starion_slider

TDI
1996 B4 sedan
Still my trusty daily. Just passed 400K miles. I drive about 400 miles a week in it. Yup parts are not as easy to get as they were 10 years ago but I can repair most things or find parts if you search. I will hop in it and drive it coast to coast without hesitation. My current backup vehicles are my 1949 GMC (LS powered) or my 87 starion (Turbo LS powered) or my motorcycle. The tdi beats them all in MPG’s by far so its still my #1. I honestly can not imagine not having it and there is nothing I could replace it with that would fill the void.
PS. I give big props to idparts for still sourcing parts for these old heaps. I buy exclusively from them unless I need something in a pinch and it’s available local.

chrisgt

TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
idparts is a fantastic resource, especially if you're on the east coast. I also have a running driving (but crashed) parts car, so I can go shopping there...

Starion_slider

TDI
1996 B4 sedan
idparts is a fantastic resource, especially if you're on the east coast. I also have a running driving (but crashed) parts car, so I can go shopping there...
Yea they are right in MA and im in CT so the parts come quick.

Matthew13

TDI
97 Passat Sedan, “Lili von Shtupp”
Lili von Shtupp’s a daily driven 97 Passat with 351K miles. Backup is an 82 Fiat Spider.

Drive on!

smketrny

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDi, 2015 Passat TDi
Aside from my post on not having it for awhile, my 98 AHU (AKA 'Diesel Dyke 1'....lol) runs great. While a rust bucket, it runs like a top thanks to Tyler (burn_your_money), who installed new intermediate shaft bearings, clutch, TB and pump, a few other things, and took apart my dash to replace the covers on the vent doors. Not bad for 235k miles, now 255k. Didnt like the way the car ran prior, and he replaced a simple vacuum hose and runs great. Added leather seats from a Mk3. and it actually rides nice. Its my beater back and forth to NYC, but when i get the .658 gear installed and get it back soon thanks to the suggestions on here, I'd drive that lil B**tard cross country in a heartbeat. Heck, maybe drive to tijuana and get the body work and rust fixed lol.. Stay safe, stay well, Jimmy.

Last edited:

chrisgt

TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
Aside from my post on not having it for awhile, my 98 AHU runs great. While a rustbucket, it runs like a top thanks to Tyler (burn_your_money), who installed new intermedate shaft bearings, clutch, TB and pump, a few other things, and took apart my dash to replace the covers on the vent doors. Didnt like the way the car ran prior, and replaced a simple vacuum hose and runs great. Added leather seats from a Mk3. and it actually rides nice. Its my beater back and forth to NYC, but when i get the .658 gear installed and get it back soon thanks to the suggestions on here, I'd drive that lil B**tard cross country in a heartbeat. Heck, maybe drive to tijuana and get the body work and rust fixed lol.. Stay safe, stay well, Jimmy.
Where did you find the .658 gears? I couldn't find a set, I'd like to put some in my spare 02a.