A3/B4 Ignition Switch Replacement Procedures

Stoneage

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9 Mk3 Jetta TDI
I did my ignition switch by undoing the knuckle under the dash and the steering wheel and column pull out. Didn't have to use any bearing puller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

garciapiano

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI (1Z)
What's the general lifespan of the OEM ignition switch that most have experienced?

I just replaced mine and let's just say that I never want to have to do that again anytime soon.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
What's the general lifespan of the OEM ignition switch that most have experienced?

I just replaced mine and let's just say that I never want to have to do that again anytime soon.
There's no guarantee it won't fail again. If you replaced it with a less expensive Chinese version it might fail rather quickly, I just don't know. There's no rhyme or reason to the failure, it just happens.

I will say this though, that having come from the Vortex forums where key rings seem to be huge carabiners loaded with everything from small stuffed animals to mountains of keys plus what ever else they wanted on there, that it's no wonder that ignition switches wear out quickly.

Want to put less stress on your ignition switch? limit what you have on the key ring to one or two keys and maybe a remote (if your car has that).

Get rid of the garbage...

RoseBud68

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 mk3 Jetta 1.9
Really isn't that difficult to do. Have done them in less than an hour. But as stated, If you bought a Chinese after market one, be ready to replace it again.