The "What did you do to your B4 today" thread...

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
I installed ecodes last night. What a difference, and what a lighting pattern!

I was considering factory or aftermarket fog/driving lights, just for the additional light. With ecodes, I wouldn't bother with any additional lighting.

Tony

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V

I was considering factory or aftermarket fog/driving lights, just for the additional light. With ecodes, I wouldn't bother with any additional lighting.

Tony

Yes, I love my E-codes! My next lighting upgrade will be the relay kit for the lights.

Here: http://www.eurowires.net/page5.html

Big Sugar

TDI
05 Passat Wagon
Tony
Where did you get them, I was planning to polish up my old lenses and throw in new set of GE bulbs but maybe a set of EW Codes are a better way to go.

Are the E codes Glass ? are you protecting them with any 3MFilm or acrylic covers ?

Ron

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ron,
I bought the ecodes from boraparts.com; Aaron will treat you right!

Yes, they are glass. And, yes, I do have protective clear film on them. It's ~10mil thick.

Tony

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
And then there was limp mode on the way to work this morning.

So, I get home to check things out, and find out 15 minutes later, that the local roadants have chewed thru the boost pressure (small diameter) from the turbo that leads to N75.

All fixed!

Tony

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 Variant white, 1996 Town & Country 3.8 LXI

Tony
Tony: I remember offering you set a while back, make a difference, don't they?

I thought that the extra weight of the glass lenses had brought your car down..., quite curious!
Glad you got the LIMP mode gone...

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Bought a '98 AHU, with 144K miles, complete and running, with wiring harness and attached tranny, fuse box, ECU, motor mounts, and all hoses/sensors (even left the old fuel filter attached), for $200 from a local junkyard. Took me a day to pull it, so I know it wasn't removed by the "Hack-N-Yank" method, but I'm very happy to have it sitting in my barn.

dieseljunkie

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat TDI wagon
Bought a '98 AHU, with 144K miles, complete and running, with wiring harness and attached tranny, fuse box, ECU, motor mounts, and all hoses/sensors (even left the old fuel filter attached), for $200 from a local junkyard. Took me a day to pull it, so I know it wasn't removed by the "Hack-N-Yank" method, but I'm very happy to have it sitting in my barn.
Are you friends with the yard or they didn't know the value and "gave" it away?

dieseljunkie

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat TDI wagon
I'm also interested in what tools you had with you for the job. Was the car on wheels? on blocks? Was it on muddy grounds? The logistics of doing what you did intrigues me.

Last edited:

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I'm also interested in what tools you had with you for the job. Was the car on wheels? on blocks? Was it on muddy grounds? The logistics of doing what you did intrigues me.
It's a junkyard I frequent locally, and I've been telling people about it for years, but no one seems to go. They get crush weight for the parts, so the motor/tranny and all the parts were pretty cheap since they'll still get $100 for the steel once they crush what's left. This is a normal price for motors, they quoted me $150 for a 4.3 Vortec & tranny a few years ago. I always get B4 window regulators for around $5 each, and cannot tell you how many times they've just given me stuff (like clusters, fuel pumps, coil packs, small important items) over the years. My brother even bought 4 like new 14" Altimax tires for his B4 for $30 a few weeks ago, and we'll change them out since I have a tire machine. It's where I bought the leather interior from the B4 GLX, with front heated seats (and switch/wiring) for $35. Alternators and batteries are usually $10 each, and the more stuff you buy, the better price he seems to give you. The deals that can be had are amazing, but a lot of people go there, and some are VW enthusiasts, so it's best to grab something as soon as possible. It's not a large yard, and most of the stuff is older, but it's enjoyable picking through the cars.

I usually go back every 2 weeks (on a Saturday, I work during the week and they are closed Sunday), when I have to work the weekend, since they are always getting in new cars and crushing old ones. They have the remnants of the A3 TDI, several A3 gassers, a B4 gasser sedan auto I'm going to get more parts from, and a B3 GLX that has a lot missing from it. If you need/want something and are curious, I can let you know if something is there, and if it's small, I don't mind picking it up. However, I have long since stopped spending hours in a junkyard for [local] people who won't drive over themselves to get their own parts. I learned this the hard way. It's no reflection on you at all, just in general, and I know you're a long distance away, but yanking a fuel tank, springs, or other PITA items takes more time than I care to commit (unless I'm helping the person, then I don't mind at all, so long as you buy me lunch :D) So if you're looking for something specific, shoot me a PM.

It's a you-pull-it yard, so you bring your own tools and do your own work, but when they close (3PM on Sat), they are closed, even if you only have 1 bolt left to go (been there, too).

He had the car in the lot for a few months, but had no title to it, so he couldn't release the car to take parts off it. Once I saw it was out of the "hold" section, and I checked back often, I started removing the parts. He gave me a price on the motor & assembly and I paid him when the car was available. The car was on 2 wheels in a dirt lot, so I jacked it up and put it on jack stands with spare/junk tires under it for safety in case it should move. Then I just went to town with a regular tool box, unbolting what I could. It would have been nice to have help, but it was only me, and I had it out and on the trailer in 5 hours, with all the extra parts in the car (a professional mechanic I am not). I started to run out of time, so I did use the sawzall (electric, used with a small generator) to cut the exhaust pipe and the middle radiator support since I didn't want to spend the time to remove the front bumper skin to unbolt it. I took a (borrowed) engine crane with me, and several sheets of plywood to roll it around on.

If you're looking for something specific or want to visit, send me a PM and let me know, I'd be happy to meet you there if I'm going anyway.

Last edited:

BolaB4V

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 passat tdi wagon, 97 F-150 XLT 4x4, 99.5 Mk4 Jetta VR6/5M
Replaced Bosch fuel filter w/ new Bosch, new Thermo T.
Drove around the n/hood to get bubbles out of lines. Think Ive got sticking strut bearrings, thumping sounds when turning wheel and starting to move.:(

h2oskibum

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat
I put on a new to me rear bumper and factory mud flaps all the way around, there was enough dirt and leafs behind the front wheel well guards to fill up a coffee can :eek: no rust thank goodness! Also took the passenger front door handle out and adjusted the roll pin and links so it works again, for how long...who knows :rolleyes: Last week I replaced the front park/turn signals with new ones and swapped in a better under hood insulation blanket...no more rips :) and shampooed the seats. Oh yeah and replaced the burned out bulb in the HVAC control panel.
Still waiting for my ecodes and fog lights to arrive.

BolaB4V

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 passat tdi wagon, 97 F-150 XLT 4x4, 99.5 Mk4 Jetta VR6/5M
Somehow freed up rear brake caliper by knocking with hammer, grinding rust off top and bottom of rotor and using PB Blaster. Spins nicely. Needle greased under rubber boots. Sprayed silicone under front strut mounts in attempt to quiet thumping noises when slow speed turning in tight radius( thinking strut bearings are toast).
topped oil off , not using much at all, lucky there. fixed loosed front grill, had small crackes at emblem and snap connection and broken tabs to grill surround, dap of epoxy and a plastic make-shift fastener added, tight and level now. 0000 steel wooled the ext windows to remove spots and over spray from past painting in garage.

GTSLOW

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW & 04 Golf
- Deleted the 5th Injector
- Cleaned up under the engine bay
- Installed a new pioneer radio
- Started on my rust repair project

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
Last week:
R & R drivers door with junk yard one,
R & R front fender to properly do the above!
Two weeks ago:
R & R hood from junk yard and it took a while to align !

Ongoing: bringing RED B4-V back to real life...(found in junk-yard waiting to be crushed)

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Might have found a full GLX interior for a B4V that will work for me. Even heated seats (which we need BAD in So. Calif.). Need to inspect ASAP

Will have to see what it takes to do the heated seats and the heated mirrors.

Still have to replace my instrument cluster.

Anyone with comments about installing the MFA cluster while I am at it? Or should I just stick with a ScanGaugeII ?

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Anyone with comments about installing the MFA cluster while I am at it? Or should I just stick with a ScanGaugeII ?
You might want to stick with the scan gauge, unless you want it more OEM-ish.

Here's a thread on coverting a GLX cluster to the TDI.

Tony

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I have just got my GLX cluster back from DeWhite, and it looks purty, although I had to remove it again due to a bad stepper.

Now, from what I gleaned in the cluster conversion thread, I need to install my mfa wiper switch, and make a harness to go from the switch to the junction block- not too hard.

My experience has been that the SGII does not work with the 96's BK ECU, you will need a later GQ ECU in order to use it in your car.

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
Repalced LCA's on both sides with POLY bushings, them things are hard to get in...!
Then; alignment,
re-placed from "junke" the sway bar link that broke off when removing the LCA,
re-installed TWO wheel bolts(yunke-yard), that I lost due to driving away without tightening, whoa!
got another headlight switch. This one with four positions BUT not the euro-switch/that one is in my white B4V:
off, parking, lights and light with fogs.
installed a couple of relays, 72 nd 53
Inspected right rear wheel bearings and wow, them things are BAAD!

h2oskibum

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat
Picked up the little triangle socket from Metalnerd at the post office box this morning and did the leaky injection pump seals. Set the IQ to 4.2, not real sure what value I am going to end up leaving it at. It was at 3.4 when I put things back together the 2nd time :rolleyes:, I think the QA body was too far over and was not allowing any fuel...I thought maybe I missed the hole on the slider inside the first time around.
Did the 5th injector delete via the ball bearing shoved in the fuel line method, that took a little while since the bearing I had was a really snug in the line. Maybe I'll pick up some milage since it won't be dumping fuel directly in the exhaust and hopefully loose the random puff of smoke between 2nd and 3rd gear.
Also took off the MAF and gave it a good dowsing with some CRC...couldn't hurt and maybe I'll pick up some milage there too.

Am I on the right track here, the lower the IQ down to 3'ish the more power/fuel you get and higher numbers 5'ish give better economy...with in reason of course.

h2oskibum

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat
Bumped timing up from 34 to 63 and gave the engine compartment a thorough cleaning with super brite to get rid of the residual fuel after the IP seal replacement yesterday:)

Jetter_Sprinta

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2 Peeps sharing 1 UseYerName//an array of cars
RE: my post 105

Bet this is a first....

Was not today, but a few weeks ago. This thread needed a bump:rolleyes:!

I took an OEM B4 front right brake line I had laying around from one of the parts cars that have graced my driveway over the years, and re bent it, by hand, to make the replacement line for the rotted right rear of our B4V. I'll add that it follows the original rear lines path and is in each of the factory clips. No cutting/flaring etc. Perfect point A-B fit!

(I had Chris take it for the first test drive)

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
Alignment shop re-did tie rods(nephew's mechanic!),
new front tire,
added 50% BIO to tank for the trip tomorrow to Phoenix(1.250miles), should have plenty when I get there for a couple more days running.
B4 is getting a little better everyday...

( :D re-planted tomato plant for my mom, birthday gift)

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Re-keyed my trunk lock with tumblers from some junkyard locks, now I can lock/unlock it with the key, just like it's supposed to work. It actually wasn't that hard.

Also repaired the broken trunk lock actuator rod with a 10ga electrical butt-connector. I'll get another from the junkyard this weekend.

jollyGreenGiant

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI GLS ( my 5th TDI ), 03 Eurovan GLS - VR6 :(
I removed my Webasto unit last night in preparation for selling the car. It hurts really bad but I've had 3 of these things in a row now and variety is the spice of life they say.

I'm having some huge second thoughts on selling it but I got a decent 02 Golf and I can't keep both...

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Never thought I'd hear it. I've been impressed by the prices B4Vs continue to get: I'm sure you'll do well.