The "What did you do to your B4 today" thread...

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Getting ready to replace the water pump on my B4 this Thursday. First water pump leaked and was replaced under warranty, had the timing belt done at 28K at the same time (early), since it had to come off anyway. New (not rebuilt) water pump just spun the shaft with only 8K on it, so I'm going to do this one myself and save the $350. I might as well learn how to do the timing belt since I'm going to have the car for a long time.

Also doing the timing belt on my brother's '96 B4, possibly this Friday. Doing a front wheel bearing tonight, and he bought a hydraulic press because locating one to use was a pain.

Will keep everyone informed.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
Glad you caught that problem part! :rolleyes:

When I replaced mine, it was leaking from the o-ring gland. Thankfully, G12 leaves a pronounced stain when exposed to air, at operating temperature, and I was able to find exactly where it was leaking from.

Tony

veggieman

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Golf
This started with an o-ring leak, but then came apart. I'm not sure why it blew where it did, but...

Actually there was a new spare in the trunk when I bought the car, so I didn't need to buy a new one.

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 Variant white, 1996 Town & Country 3.8 LXI
dieseljunkie: I happen to have an extra one of these water outlets @ home!
Let me know, I would be happy to send it to you for a lesser price and it would save me storing another part!

BolaB4V

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 passat tdi wagon, 97 F-150 XLT 4x4, 99.5 Mk4 Jetta VR6/5M
-Installed some good fog dummys-siliconed around a ground I spliced and soldered to prevent the new directional socket from corroding again-installled rear dr. side interior light(more light!)-3M taped my Passat badge on rear gate, (has been missing for over a year) now the mechanics wont have to ask what kind of VW it is.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Replaced the dome light / overhead console. Yeah, now I can see at night..so I thought. Now the rotten pin switch on the drivers door needs to be replaced. Oh, well, it's a hobby car, right? ;)

Tony

bonham123

TDI
99.5 2-Door Golf, 01 White 2-Door Golf, 98 White Beetle
Work on the Interior swap for I-Red continued with the recovered headliner install. I'm not having any luck at all finding pre-molded carpet for the B4 or any other Passat for that matter via Yahoo search. Does anyone have any leads?

How did you recover your headliner and what did you use?

Mcgink

Veteran Member
TDI
I-Red,"The Passat formerly known as Harlequin" 97 B4, a non VW GTDI too
How did you recover your headliner and what did you use?
I brought The board to Art's Seat Cover in Brockton and they recovered it for me for $130. That included the sunshade for the moonroof as well. He would also be able to get the fabric for you if you prefer to DIY

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Clean the grounds near the battery, as well as the main engine ground. File or sandpaper will work fine. Coat with either dielectric grease or noalux before reassembly. Either one will prevent oxidation.

Tony
Looked at the grounds today. The two small ones near the washer bottle looked like new - bright copper. Pulled the main ground to the block, looked good, but polished it with 220 wet/dry paper till it looked great. Bolted everything down, reinstalled the battery with clean posts and terminals. Measured battery voltage while it was out - 12.90 volts. So it is well charged. Started it up, drove half a mile, stopped and restarted. Still have the same problem: Clock resets to 1:00, trip odometer resets to zero, hatch/trunk open led still flashes. About the same time this started, when I lock the door from outside, only the drivers door locks.

Any suggestions?

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Looked at the grounds today. The two small ones near the washer bottle looked like new - bright copper.
You can't just look at the grounds...You have to remove them and clean them, like you did on the main engine grounds. Make sure you use either dielectric grease or noalux to prevent or slow down future corrosion.

Tony

BolaB4V

Veteran Member
TDI
"You cant just look at the grounds":D I dont have any dielectric grease but I was changeing out a rear plate light tonight and used some Liquid Wrench Silicone spray. The back of can read that it had High Dielectric characteristics.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Replaced the water pump and got to use my new timing belt tools (it's simpler than I thought). Removed the faulty alternator and will be getting the new one tomorrow.

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 Variant white, 1996 Town & Country 3.8 LXI
Did a search for "Cigarette" and found a number of problems solved by replacing fuse S21. Just checked S21 when I got home. Still no good, so back to square 0ne.
Thanks, fuse S21 shall be checked when @ home...
Will do whole process diligently through again, I am tired of not having:
1. sunroof
2. interior lights
3. RESETTING ODO!

Specially when my other B4 Variant(bad ECU), does have these operational but no connection to various sensors! :eek:

h2oskibum

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat
Got my "new to me" 96 B4 back on the road yesterday! Never owned or driven a Volkswagen before and always admired the fuel economy claims of TDI owners so I've been casually looking for one and found this one. It had a broken timing belt when I got it so I could not test drive before the purchase, I have to say now that I have driven it...wow these little cars have an awesome road presence behind the wheel. I have to admit I am impressed by the power, I am not new to diesels I am a truck driver and have a Dodge Ram Turbodiesel but the 1.9 surprised me. I am sure the rebuilt head/new cam and injector tip have a lot to do with it, thanks Franko6. I think I am really gonna like this little car. Thanks for the answers to my newbie questions and for this forum full of useful information. Now for the slippery slope of fixing all the little things...ecodes on the way :)

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mike,
Glad to hear you like the car. I too, was impressed with the torque. I recently rediscovered the torque. We get in habits, and it takes time to change them.

Likewise, I took a risk in buying my Passat...read the 'project' link in my singature. So, I understand about 'fixing the little things'. Just be prepared for the fact that Passats can be hobby cars that need frequent support.

Tony

h2oskibum

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat
Mike,
Just be prepared for the fact that Passats can be hobby cars that need frequent support.

Tony
No doubt about it, ha ha! Headlights aren't even here yet and I've just put in an order for the Redlinegoods.com shifter/ebrake boots. Read thru your project thread... dude...you have done a lot of work to your Passat! Did you ever fix the hinge on the console lid and if you have what did you use? Mine is broken at the hinge also and sits there just fine until the trunk button needs accessed.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Headlights aren't even here yet and I've just put in an order for the Redlinegoods.com shifter/ebrake boots. Read thru your project thread... dude...you have done a lot of work to your Passat!
Tell me about it...The wife refers to the Passat, like Costco...the $100 club! Avery time I need something for that car, it'll cost at least $100

Did you ever fix the hinge on the console lid and if you have what did you use? Mine is broken at the hinge also and sits there just fine until the trunk button needs accessed.
I have a new to me lid, I just never replaced it. Mostly because it sits there just fine. I've had a few times, where I have made a panic stop and it slides off. It's one of those things that doesn't bother me enough to replace it.

Tony

Redlabel6

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta, 2005 Passat
Going to pick up a "new" hood, Passenger front door and right front fender in the correct Classic Green color. No more 2 tone car! Currently I have Sequoia Green ones....

BolaB4V

Veteran Member
TDI
Replaced a bent rim on the right rear, changed the oil and filter, fiddled with the sway bar bushings, bought a can of CRC MAF cleaner at AutoZone (7$), ordered a bosch fuel filter (have a new thermo tee ready for when I get the filter),
tightened the power steering pump belt just a wisker ( I know Im flirting with ruining the water pump) but its so loose I almost cant muscle it with all the rain last couple of days!

BolaB4V

Veteran Member
TDI
No skid plate cover, I know that would help alot. Whats the vr6 engine skirt part...Is it easier to find, install/remove than a b4 skid plate?thx

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No skid plate cover, I know that would help alot. Whats the vr6 engine skirt part...Is it easier to find, install/remove than a b4 skid plate?thx
Search is your friend...
VR6 side skirt: 3A0825254B

You will need 2 screws to install it. And, there is a plastic bushing under / near the radiator that needs to be removed, so that the front tab of the cover can fit into the chassis properly.

Skid plate for a B4, from Evolution import. AFAIK, evo is the only manufacturer of a B4 skid plate.

HTH

Tony

bonham123

TDI
99.5 2-Door Golf, 01 White 2-Door Golf, 98 White Beetle
Good News:
Fixed the leak in my intercooler and slapped a new power steering belt and bolt on the wagon this morning.

Bad News:
found a leaky output shaft seal and ripped inner cv boot.

the saga continues

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
At least fixing the output shaft seal will make access to the CV boot easier.