A3 / B4 glow plug relay and fuse location

raenglehart

TDI
1997 Passat TDI
I've read this thread and a few others while learning things on the B4 Passat I've had for several months now. The strip fuse under the hood on the firewall next to the daylight running lights connector.....everyone mentions replacing it on many threads, but I've not seen one mention of a part number for that bad boy. Mine is blown, but being in the Southeast, the system will most likely never be utilized, however I want to replacey the blown fuse since it's bad.

If the part number is mentioned, I must have overlooked it, but I figure 3 times on a 14 page thread was a valiant effort...............lol ;)

Last edited:

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I've read this thread and a few others while learning things on the B4 Passat I've had for several months now. The strip fuse under the hood on the firewall next to the daylight running lights connector.....everyone mentions replacing it on many threads, but I've not seen one mention of a part number for that bad boy. Mine is blown, but being in the Southeast, the system will most likely never be utilized, however I want to replacey the blown fuse since it's bad.

If the part number is mentioned, I must have overlooked it, but I figure 3 times on a 14 page thread was a valiant effort...............lol ;)
I believe the strip fuse part number is N0171251 and it's a 50A fuse.

Before you install your new fuse be sure and check the condition of the coolant glow plugs. Something caused the fuse to blow and it'll probably happen again.

Steve

raenglehart

TDI
1997 Passat TDI
Ordered from IDPart.com. I can't believe the shipping cost some sites wanted....anywhere from $8-$13 for something the size of a paperclip.....ridiculous!!!! ECTuners was $9. Anyhow, I have some on the way now. Thanks again Steve for posting a good part # for it bud. In the mean time, I'll get to doing the checks on the plugs.

theodore

TDI
2) 1996 b4 Passat
thx, i have two a3/b4 donnor harnesses and wire and relay different, electrical has always been my weakness, I MUST READ THIS Through and take notes.
Peace.

wvwhg83a3te072254

TDI
1996 Passat tdi
Lug Nut, can you comment on any variations in GP relay locations for Canadian-supplied TDI's? (maybe they are not different...?)
A good friend of mine "lost" his TDI to a fat-fingered mechanic here in South Carolina who decided to plug a "180" into position #12 on his 1999 Jetta. it's too late for the car, but someone else might have a Jetta from "up-Nawth" and run across this same problem.
Hey warthog, I had the same thing happen yesterday all though I'm the fat fingered mechanic that did it in a rush not thinking or comparing. Did your buddy ever figure out what happened from putting the 180 in position #12?

BigAndy

Veteran Member
TDI
99 A3
Hi Wiggins - if you find it tough getting an answer on this board head over to www.vwdiesel.net and they may have something.

There are fewer and fewer Canadian folks on this board - Vince Waldron is one guy I'd send a pm to (he's in Edmonton) and another is Caddy_16V from just up the road from me in Hazelton, BC.

Last edited:

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Apparently we lost the photograph of the 97 B4 fuse box....

I don't remember where it came from (aka who posted it) but if someone has one please post it up.

Steve

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Thank you Mark, I didn't remember that the 97 B4 had a relay in #12 that was not a 103. That must be just a bridge relay that routes power to the correct terminal where the GP main wiring heads out from the fuse box (to relay180 and maxi fuse). I had always thought that the 97 B4 was setup identically to the 97-99 Mk3 with no relay in #12 but apparently not.

Steve