ALH Injector Pump Swap Details from dieselgeek

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
If I had an 11mm pump on a 1z/AHU I would drop down to 50k belt changes or switch to the wider belt setup.
I just want to note that the AHH belt is not wider, it has a different part number, same goes for the tensioner, but I cannot physically see a difference between the two.

98tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 jetta tdi five speed
Doing this swap very soon to bring my 97 passat back from the dead!

Last edited:

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
back from the dead... again :) i'm planning an 11mm pump on an ahu build. related question, can an 11mm alh pump head be installed on an ahu pump? or is there more to it than that? i could get a 11mm pump head for a good price, and have a good ahu ip core....

drejck

TDI
golf3 1,9tdi 81kw
""Fortunatly we have an AHH Passat in the USA with an enthusiast for an owner:
JFettig's Passat & pictures:""

IS THIS 11MM PUMP TOO??

smokey_bearme

TDI
2002 jettas
I have a really weird question I have a 1998 jetta ahu and rebuild the injection pump and the bottom of the quantity adj the part that slides into the sleve has like a ball end on it, has broke clean off I have a pump from a 2001 jetta ahl and I was wondering if i could just switch the quantity adjuster or be cheaper to machine the ahl pump to work

honda_vtec2

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf ALH tdi, 1997 Jetta 1z tdi
Just like to add: Since i've done this mod. I've put about 80k or so on a used ALH pump without issue.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
How many miles on the ahu belt?

libbybapa

Veteran Member
TDI
'83 AHU mTDI high top Vanagon, '84 AHU mTDI pop top Vanagon, '85 Franken-mTDI Adventurewagen Vanagon, '91 Vanagon ALH mTDI tin top auto, '02 Jetta eTDI Wagon, '02 Jetta eTDI Sedan
Holy smoke, all you guys shimming the pump over are doing it the hard way. You just have to adjust the belt tracking by rotating the pump bracket. Sprocket down, lines up makes the belt track closer to the block.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Here are some upgrade parts for those doing this swap

AHH timing belt tensioner
028109243H - cross references with INA part number to be the same, but cheaper
INA 531 0524 30
CONTITECH V55736
Both VW part numbers are available at worldimpex

AHH timing belt
028109119AA
CONTITECH CT945
DAYCO 94941
GATES 5622XS
I have not found a US distributor for these, RyanP can source them.

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
Holy smoke, all you guys shimming the pump over are doing it the hard way. You just have to adjust the belt tracking by rotating the pump bracket. Sprocket down, lines up makes the belt track closer to the block.
Andrew Libby is right....no shim BS needed...My ALH Pump swap is washer/shim free...

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
no shims for me either. went in with no issue at all. love it :)

TDI
Mk2 ahu GTI building a RHD ahu mk3 golf , 81 rabbit 1.6d
Why not just use the alh pump and bracket instead of going threw the trouble of machining the old ahu bracket not sure if there the same or not but if someone knows it be great because I can get a 11mm alh pump off an automatic and the bracket if it bolts right up that would be great

G3TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1994 Golf TDI http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=305898
Why not just use the alh pump and bracket instead of going threw the trouble of machining the old ahu bracket not sure if there the same or not but if someone knows it be great because I can get a 11mm alh pump off an automatic and the bracket if it bolts right up that would be great
It's not possible to use the ALH one it's completely different!

If you need an AHU bracket professionally machined PM me and I can have it arranged for you!

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat daily, a bunch of others in the graveyard out back...
Swapped an ALH 11mm onto the red death today. Figuring out how to de-pin/re-pin the harnesses was basically the hardest part of the swap. everything else just falls into place if you have the bracket machined properly.

i made a terminal tool from a harbor fright tweezer set but i only needed the smallest one of the set. i just looked at this guys video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbW9Yc36RPE ) and figured i could find something that would work at harbor freight or walmart. notice the tips of the tweezers bent inward (1st pic) which press the tabs inward (3rd pic). Pin swap list also shown in 1st pic, stolen from PAGE 1 of this sticky.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
Just used this thread to repin an injection pump connector but i'm putting an entire ALH into a B4V so i repinned the B4V wires into an MKIV headlight connector (same as mk4 harness side pump connector) ... great guide! thank you :)

superdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5 ALH wagon, 2 VW Beetle TDI,Vanagon diesel
Would you please explain about the pump bracket rotating. Thank you.

superdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5 ALH wagon, 2 VW Beetle TDI,Vanagon diesel
Old ass thread. Looks like that dude was confused/drunk/hit on the head? Not possible to rotate a bracket that's bolted on 2 axis'. Machine parts, repin plug, done. Simple swap.
I'm close to installing the alh pump and was curious about the using or not using shims. I guess I'll see when I get there.

libbybapa

Veteran Member
TDI
'83 AHU mTDI high top Vanagon, '84 AHU mTDI pop top Vanagon, '85 Franken-mTDI Adventurewagen Vanagon, '91 Vanagon ALH mTDI tin top auto, '02 Jetta eTDI Wagon, '02 Jetta eTDI Sedan
Wow, the rudeness of some people is astounding... I was not confused, drunk, or hit on the head. I was speaking from experience. The Mk3 TDI injection pump bracket mounting holes are a little larger than necessary. This allows for adjusting the belt tracking. Don't want to take my word for it? Then read the VW tech bulletin...

To get the timing belt to track closer to the engine, push DOWN on A and pull up on B. I've adjusted the belt tracking in a similar manner for 1.6, 1.6TD, AAZ, and AHU engines (although the brackets are different). In all cases to get the belt to track closer to the engine, the sprocket side of the pump goes DOWN and the metal lines go UP. If you cannot adjust the tracking enough with the play in the bolt holes, then enlarging the holes is an effective way to get additional adjustment to the tracking.

Last edited:

casey_tdi97

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta,97,red
Finally got my hands on an 11mm. Needs rebuilding but no big deal as there is a BOSCH certified shop near me that already rebuilt the original pump for my 1Z and did a perfect job. Appreciate all the input from everyone.

Casey.

Rob2cool

TDI
Audi 80
Hi I’ve fitted a 11mm pump from darkside developments and 260 injectors to my Audi 80 b4 1z swapped wires from 8pin&3pin plug to the 10 pin plug but can’t get it to run I e adjusted IP timing from one end to the other with no joy socan someone help me out as I’m running out of ideas.time I g as been checked and rechecked I’ve got fuel to the rails and power to stop solenoid but it’s not even trying to fire up. Have I wired it correctly or not. Any one done this before that can help.