Help ! Injector Pump Seal Leaks

moblemaster

TDI
Passat 96 Royal Blue
Fuel Injection pump help MGM/BHM/ATL

CORRECTION
I am in Montgomery,AL and need the pump rebuilt. leaking at the rotor head where the 4 flanged fuel lines come in at.
Anyone or anyplace that can do this in the Montgomery, Birmingham, Atlanta area???

Last edited:

Dieselgeek

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2016 Golf TDI
David Brubaker ("Davidbru" I believe) in Atlanta may be able to do the seal change but not a rebuild. I just added a Viton pump head seal to my site. That's the one leaking on your pump.

Beowulf

Veteran Member
TDI
A3 Jetta, 1998, Green
I put together a numbered step by step list for swapping the top and middle/lower seals based on when ninedee_golf_tdi walked me through the process.

VE/Rotary Injection Pump – Replacing Top & Middle/Lower Seals

Any suggestions for improvements/corrections are appreciated. Once it is finalized, I'll try to upload it to TDIClub so the images show up (unless kneebull and McBrew want to give me permission to download copies of their images to my website).

jollyGreenGiant

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI GLS ( my 5th TDI ), 03 Eurovan GLS - VR6 :(
Nice Job! I didn't see anything incorrect but I did have a couple comments...

I would recommend that when collecting the IQ baseline and then when setting the IQ after seal replacement that the vehicle have all it's major electrical consumers turned off as well as the AC system, these impact the IQ to a significant degree and might cause some frustrations.

If you weren't happy with drivability before the seal change, now is your chance to play with the IQ till it does feel right.

Oh, and perhaps a tools and parts list up top kind of recipe like...

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
Since the "middle cover" is actually the Quantity Adjuster housing or block and not a cover, I would refer to it as that.

Since early ECMs/pumps had a very narrow range of electronic IQ adjustment (via VAG-COM adaption) compared to the later ones, I would set IQ adaption at its "richest" ("32784" on the early cars) before adjusting IQ mechanically. That way, you'll have a bit of extra "leaning" adaption leeway to solve a shuddering problem or reduce smoke after chip/nozzle upgrades without having to make another mechanically adjustment. There's not a lot to be gained, but you'll never have need to "richen" IQ, so you might as well get as much easy "lean" adjustable range as you can.

And I would include a warning to check for softening of the cooling hoses below the pump due to fuel exposure if the pump has been leaking for a while. Those hoses have been know to fail as a result of a significant pump leak.

Beowulf

Veteran Member
TDI
A3 Jetta, 1998, Green
Thanks for the suggestions!

Oh, and perhaps a tools and parts list up top kind of recipe like...
This is on my list of things to add.

Since the "middle cover" is actually the Quantity Adjuster housing or block and not a cover, I would refer to it as that.
I was quite confident there was a better name for it. Thanks.

I was reluctant to get into too much detail about setting the IQ because I'm not really familiar with all the details of doing it right. Also, I assumed someone somewhere has probably done a fairly comprehensive write-up already. Maybe a link would be appropriate to full details on the hammer mod / adjusting IQ? Any suggestions?

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
FYI....
As of today when I picked my Kit up John said he got 50........
Sku# is 552404 kit is 15.55

ninedee_golf_tdi said:
Impex has the top gasket for $2.62, but do not have the kit nor bottom gasket. John did say he would try to get some kits in stock.
DG has both top and bottom gasket for $9.00 a piece.

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 Variant white, 1996 Town & Country 3.8 LXI
Fuel injection pump rebuild

I have a B4 that was leaking fuel at the pump... 263K miles.
I WILL SEND IT TO DIESEL SERVICE IN Portland, Oregon ALWAYS!:D
Talk to Kyle and give him an arrival date; from the lesson I learned...
they ARE THE ONLY ONES HERE IN THE US. that have the electronic timing adjusting tool to get the pump 100% where it needs to be.

Please do yourself a favor and get the pump rebuild THERE!

Even though my pump got the correct BOSCH seals, etc... the timing and what else was not correct and time spent on the ?:mad: of the start procedure was days :( ! not minutes because of an error at the rebuild shop(not Diesel Service, someone else). They could NOT time the pump but said that they did :eek:

John

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 Variant white, 1996 Town & Country 3.8 LXI
B4 pump rebuild...

I have more to say...
After three weeks, we got the pump back after the second try..., and got the Variant running BUT it is STILL NOT in time.
Seems that I am having to go to Portland to get the pump timed, good thing that I have some time and heck of a lot of patience, no? :rolleyes:

Diesel Service in Portland--Kyle
503-285-1213

OilBurnerDE

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat T-Red
corrado tdi said:
http://www.dieselgeek.com/VE_Injection_Pump_Head_Seal_Replacement.htm

This is my rendition of a pump head seal change how-to.

:( Oh if only this were posted a week sooner....

I removed my head, and the parts came tumbling out, I was able to put the bearings back together with a little bearing grease to hold them, put the cam back in (can only go in one of two ways) put the distributer head in, thought it lined up with the pin on the cam.

Wouldn't fire after several attempts. Pulled the head off and found that I busted the end of the drive in several pieces.

Chulk up one dead pump!

Hopefully I can source the parts I need to rebuild it.

Thought I'd share in my misfortunes to help others avoid thiers.

Beowulf

Veteran Member
TDI
A3 Jetta, 1998, Green
corrado tdi said:
http://www.dieselgeek.com/VE_Injection_Pump_Head_Seal_Replacement.htm

This is my rendition of a pump head seal change how-to.
Rock on, jim. Thanks for taking the time to put this up. Do you mind, I've linked to your write-up from the how-to I put together about replacing the top and middle seals?

Also, I have a spot set aside in the "references and links" section for a how-to on doing the hammer mod. Does anyone know of a good in-depth link for that procedure?

Last edited:

Bugger

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 NB/2007 DuraMax
How to purge the air?

I replaced only the top cover seal and I cannot get the engine started. It has been sitting in my drive way on a incline for 3 weeks.
I hves used a mity vac pump on all the lines I just cant seem to get the air out and pump primed. Is there a trick to this? I don't want to burn up my starter.
It was running fine when I shut it down just leaking fuel badly from the upper seal?
Ken

Last edited:

OilBurnerDE

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat T-Red
Bugger said:
I replaced only the top cover seal and I cannot get the engine started. It has been sitting in my drive way on a incline for 3 weeks.
I hves used a mity vac pump on all the lines I just cant seem to get the air out and pump primed. Is there a trick to this? I don't want to burn up my starter.
It was running fine when I shut it down just leaking fuel badly from the upper seal?
Ken
I am not familiar with the mighty vac, I used a hand pump brake bleeder on mine.

Are you getting fuel out of the lines when you use the MV?

On mine, I disconnected the return line at the fuel filter and hooked up the pump there. At first I was getting a vacuum but I could not see any fuel being sucked through the clear fuel line going to the pump from the filter. Then I simply put my finger over the open connection on the fuel filter where I removed the return line from. After that fuel was pulled all the way through the pump rather quickly with the hand pump.

The car started within a few tries after that, this was starting with a bone dry used pump that I had to buy.

Good luck!

Bugger

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 NB/2007 DuraMax
The return line your talking about. Is it the one on the fuel filter that is held on with the clip?
Thank you. Ken

OilBurnerDE

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat T-Red
Bugger said:
The return line your talking about. Is it the one on the fuel filter that is held on with the clip?
Thank you. Ken
I believe so. On my 97 Passat fuel filter, the feed line come out of the right metal elbow port on the fuel filter. My feed line is clear, so you can see when fuel is being sucked through it.

The return line is connected to the plastic (check-valve?), I just removed it from the front side of the valve, hooked the pump to the rubber line and then covered the open port on the valve with my finger and started pumping.

That is what worked for me.

Warthog

Veteran Member
TDI
see Bio
HI! No part number, but I'm talking to a Bosch shop at the moment. My 96 Passat pump started leaking, too, aboout 2.5-3 months ago. The shop reports they have been overwhelmed with diesel pump repairs recently. they say it's because the diesel fuel is different. I live in SC, and we don't have bio-diesel, but there is something going on to be sure! they say is because just recently, more sulfur is being taken out of the fuel and that creates a problem.
I'd planned to take the pump to them for rebuilding but they cannot do it because it has the electronic interface!
The nearest shop for me is about 250 miles away.
That ain't too good news!

Warthog

Veteran Member
TDI
see Bio
Just finished reading the illustrated instruction on replacing the top and "middle" seals...great article and the pictures are too good!
One thing I discovered about starting a dry pump...refill the pump thru the return line. Disconnect the return line at the filter, and use a tiny funnel or some sort of squirt-bottle with the nozzle modified to fit the fuel line. (You can't refill thru the intake line as it is controlled by the fuel shut-off solenoid valve.)
This trick works good enough that you don't (1) operate the pump dry at first, and (2) you don't grind away on the starter:it starts pretty quick!
PS. Nearby shop won't sell BOSCH "special" tools, either!

Ray_G

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta TDI
I did a how to for the pump head (when the guts fall out..) If anyone gets a chance and look it over. I was in a hurry to get out of here today, so if you see something that is not right please let me know and I will correct it.
Ray
VE Pump head VE Parts illustration

Last edited:

jollyGreenGiant

Veteran Member
TDI
Wow, Ray_G, good job... BTW Wypij sent me an IM with the URL of a seller for 11mm pump heads fairly cheap... Don't know anything about the seller or the parts quality... (prothe link removed)

I'm having what appears might be a problem with my modulating piston getting hung up, I've been looking for some inside shots of the pump head assembly and you delivered!

BTW: anyone in MA who needs help with a leaking IP can get in touch with me and I'd be glad to help them out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Warthog

Veteran Member
TDI
see Bio
I'm on-line again to announce that I'm going to order parts and special tool from Metalnerd, and go for it!
Since I was successful in removing and replacing the 80-90 VWdiesels' fuel pumps w/o "special" tools, and having the cars run fine afterwards, I feel I can make a go of this too. I'll be using the instructions from a few posts earlier as a guide!
My pump has 990 as the last digits...the parts list shown
at the end of the instruction is a 985...anyone know if the 2 seals are any different?

Ray_G

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta TDI
Nice link on the 11mm pump head. hmmmmmm might have to think about that one. Thanks,
Ray

rallymerkur

TDI
96 Passat
jollyGreenGiant said:
Wow, Ray_G, good job... BTW Wypij sent me an IM with the URL of a seller for 11mm pump heads fairly cheap... Don't know anything about the seller or the parts quality... (prothe link removed)

I'm having what appears might be a problem with my modulating piston getting hung up, I've been looking for some inside shots of the pump head assembly and you delivered!

BTW: anyone in MA who needs help with a leaking IP can get in touch with me and I'd be glad to help them out.
I've e-mailed that site and not gotten any responce back. The prices look good, but I'm still new to TDI's so what do I know.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray_G

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta TDI
I just emailed them today as well, I wanted to know if the pump head they are selling is Bosch or aftermarket, and if aftermarket where is it made. They also sell new TDI nozzles that are 99.00. Kinda sounds like Chinese made nozzles to me. I just wonder about the pump heads as well.
Ray

Ray_G

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta TDI
The just responded to my email. They told me that the pump heads are made by CHJ which means nothing to me.
Ray

Ray_G

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta TDI
P2B, Yeah, I went on google spree and found pretty much the same thing. Chinese made.
Ray

jollyGreenGiant

Veteran Member
TDI
I wonder if these work better than the $25 B4 foglights...

Ray_G

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta TDI
Hey, those 25.00 dollar fog lights work great until you turn them on!
Ray