Revised B4 MFA conversion article

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
Does your current cluster have 2 retaining screws (in the 3 and 9 O'clock positions) in the middle of the speedo and tach faces like this?

Last edited:

therabbittree

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 passat, 2000 Golf, 2003 Allroad tdi
No , none of my clusters have that setup all 3 clusteres 2 glxs and my tdi have no screws holding the faces on. I also have a 95 glx at another location im not sure on that cluster.
Thanks
deo

jollyGreenGiant

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI GLS ( my 5th TDI ), 03 Eurovan GLS - VR6 :(
Chris and/or others,

I'm in the process of converting a GLX B4V to TDI. I really don't want to damage the TDI cluster but obviously see the need to use the tach face.

Also, would it make sense to snip out a section of the background over on the fuel/coolant side to cover the "unleaded fuel only" warning? If you have a printed overlay, did you keep the file used to print it? Was it just a high res scan or what? Is there someone out there that might produce a high quality sticker or aluminum overlay to just replace everything in the GLX so the TDI cluster can remain intact?

TIA,
Jon

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You won't be damaging the TDI cluster by using its tach face plate in the GLX cluster. Its very easy to restore it back to original condition should you desire.

Using a snipped rectangle from the GLX face plate might look good, although it actually might be more noticeable because of its "relief". Seems promising, though.

The "Unleaded Fuel Only" issue could also be addressed by using the TDI fuel/temp/MFA face plate in the GLX cluster and enlarging the LCD display window. But you would have a very hard time duplicating the factory appearance of that window. All 4 edges of the window are beautifully rolled out to contact the display screen. A sheet metal shop may be able to do it. I gave up on trying to do it myself. If you're willing to settle for a non quite stock appearance, you can always forego the rolled edges.

Its a lot easier to use a rectangular graphic, but the results depend on how closely you can match the black background. When you look closely at the face plates, you'll see that they are painted flat-black. I don't know how you duplicate the pigment-flecked flat look on a graphic, but just closely matching the greyscale gives pretty decent results. I've found that different printers produce somewhat different shades from the same chroma or hex number, so specifying a color is only a starting point. A greyscale somewhere in the range of #353535 to #555555 (don't remember the exact hue) worked for me. Lug Nut had good results with #455145. You can always take the opposite tack and make it MORE noticeable with a big "TDI" on it, using the factory font.

Your idea of a complete set of overlays would work best if it was template-sprayed rather than a lasered graphic. Not only would the flat black texture be harder to duplicate, so would the luminescent Dayglo red paint of the redline/empty markings.

Last edited:

jollyGreenGiant

Veteran Member
TDI
Sent an email to this guy ( http://www.meistergaugefaces.com/html/gaugefaces/corrado_passat.html ), there might be some hope yet for a clean set of gauge faces for a TDI GLX without having to borrow much if anything from the valuable TDI cluster. I'll post back any information that I can gather. I'm not wanting anything too aftermarket looking and I think this might pull off the OE+ look.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hopefully they have a TDI tach faceplate template already so you won't have to supply it.

Remember that you either need to replace the GLX front surround trim panel with the TDI equivalent or alter the GLX one to reflect the different warning light identification positions.

jollyGreenGiant

Veteran Member
TDI
Remember that you either need to replace the GLX front surround trim panel with the TDI equivalent or alter the GLX one to reflect the different warning light identification positions.

Oh yeah, I guess I have to sideline the TDI cluster no matter what... Bummer, I hate to cannibalize good ( rare and valuable also come to mind ) parts, but progress happens somtimes with certain unavoidable costs involved...

Thanks for the reminder.

trhaverstock

TDI
1996 Passat TDI Windsor Blue
Can't find MFA connector online??

I can't find the 1HO-953-634 MFA connector online anywhere at World Impex, 1st VW Parts, etc in their search engines and can find most of the other parts. Is there a revised part number or does anyone have a spare to part with? I have most of the materials now and am close to ready to do the conversion.

Thanks! Todd 96 B4 167K miles

Last edited:

trhaverstock

TDI
Can't find MFA connector online??

Wow, I'm surprised no one has a hint for me on the last message from the other week. Let me know if anyone can lend a hand on that connector. One MFA cluster - waiting to get a goin'! Thanks! Todd

jollyGreenGiant

Veteran Member
TDI
Try this link, there is no usage of the char 'O', it needs to be changed to the number '0' when searching.

Best of luck for the rest of the job, I took the easy route and bought a car that was all prewired for the cluster and had the MFA stalk but did swap the engine.

Curious if you come up with an elegant solution to the unleaded fuel only text, I'm still waiting to put something together for it. Contact cement on some matte photo paper might work well, no? Anyone have a suggestion for getting one small custom high quality decal made? I'd like it to just read TDI with correct lettering, chrome would be cool too.

http://worldimpex.com/search_by_partno.html?searchmode=partno&partno=1H0953634&x=51&y=6

vwestlife

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 B4 Passat TDI sedan (sold)
Chris Bell said:
Does your current cluster have 2 retaining screws (in the 3 and 9 O'clock positions) in the middle of the speedo and tach faces like this?

The 1995 B4 cluster uses the screws on the gauge faces, and the speedometer starts at 10 MPH.

The 1996 and 1997 B4 clusters don't use the screws, and the speedometer starts at 0 MPH.

trhaverstock

TDI
Good catch on the retaining screws! Before I tear the original cluster out, the cluster I have does have the screws on the front and my original TDI does not. Are they in any way interchangable or am I screwed on the tach and speedo dial as a result? -T

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The differences and coversion issues between the various cluster options are covered in the article. If yours is an early GLX cluster, it will require the most modification for proper tach and MIL function.

psst1997

Veteran Member
TDI
90 Corrado G60, 90 Corrado 3.6, 92 Corrado VR6, 97 Passat TDI, 2005 Jetta TDI, 2006 Touareg V10, 2011 Golf TDI
a good solution would be great for the cover up. If anyone perfects it let me know and print me one out!! i have the OEM font too if someone needs it to attempt to make something.

psst1997

Veteran Member
TDI
90 Corrado G60, 90 Corrado 3.6, 92 Corrado VR6, 97 Passat TDI, 2005 Jetta TDI, 2006 Touareg V10, 2011 Golf TDI
i havnt been on here in a while and dont think i ever mentioned a slight modification i did to the cluster that i have yet to see. With the other brand clusters all you have to do is change a film to alter the lcd colors, but on these they are completely different. I have all my interior lighting red and blue so i HAD to change the lcd color.

There was a lot of work to doing it but if you are skilled at soldering it shouldn't be a problem. Basically you have to remove every led from the board, every leg on the lcd's and strip the board pulling off the plastic peices. The lights are very small surface mount led's that tweezers are needed to handle. I was scared to death doing it but once it was dont and it worked i was thrilled!! Has anyone else attempted this?

TDI
1997 passat wagon tdi ahu
b4v VR6 to tdi gpl

I have done a swap from b4v vr6 glx to ahu tdi also changing to a 1997 tdi cluster. I still have the original 1996 glx cluster. i bought the pulse generator. how do i get the glow plug indicator in there. just a swap or do i have to soder a led in. so confused sorry.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If you use the '97 TDI cluster, you won't need the pulse adaptor or the soldered LED but you won't have an MFA.

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
Maybe, just maybe.

I was just at a local junk yard looking for a part for the HVAC in my '97 Passat. I don't know what year Passat I was in, maybe a '90 if the manual in the back seat was accurate, but it was a manual trans, gas engine. I noticed it had a fully in tact dash cluster. Here is a pic from my cell phone's camera. As long as its functional, would this work for the MFA conversion?

Last edited:

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Its from a '95 or earlier (automatic) and, yes, it will work although it is the least desirable choice. See "advantages/disadvantages" in the first section of Parts Required in the article for details.

jonhohlf

TDI
96 Passat TDI Wagon
What is a good source for the resistors needed to do this swap, I stopped at the local Radio Shack They had the 1.5k ohm resister, but they did not have the 820 ohm resister, and said they would be unable to get one.

Or would someone have extra resistors leftover that they do not need (since it seems most resistors must come in a 5 pack)?

Also, I have an outside temp sending unit from an 86 Jetta, is there a reason why this would not work? The oil temp sender from the Jetta seems to be working fine, but thought I would ask first about the outside temp sender before wiring it up.

jonhohlf

TDI
96 Passat TDI Wagon
jonhohlf said:
...Also, I have an outside temp sending unit from an 86 Jetta...
I was finally able to install this sensor today, and found out that it will not work. With this temp sensor connected the outside temp shows a steady 122 deg farenheit, this when the actual temperature is in the 60 deg range. Looks like I will need to look for the correct sensor for this application.

therabbittree

Veteran Member
TDI
gearing up to finally do this swap.. any way to get a glx tripmeter to extend over 1000 miles?.. my donor glx cluster seems to stop at 999 miles the 96 tdi cluster keeps going.. any ideas?
thanks
Deo

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None that I know of. Exchanging odometer LCD units probably won't do it since the limitation is probably in the controller chip or a combination of display and chip.

therabbittree

Veteran Member
TDI
So I guess I'll search for a '97 cluster then, as you mentioned they do read over 999.. I have a few here to check ..any way to find a cluster year? once its removed from the car....
thanks
Deo

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I did mention that but why I mentioned it I have no idea, since a '97 GLX trip odometer readout is no different than a '96.

It would be an interesting experiment to exchange LCD panels with your original TDI cluster, but I'd be surprised if that was the only modification necessary.

Last edited:

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Digital Corpus said:
Would there be any particular benefits of getting a Scaunguage over doing this mod and getting a VAG-COM?
Scangauge is vastly superior to the MFA in terms of function and adjustability. Correcting the fuel consumption signal quickly and easily without having to adapt IQ by trial and error over many tanks is a huge advantage. The only downside is its non-factory appearance, if that's important.

I have both and find myself using Scanguage exclusively (except for ambient air temp and oil temp, of course!).

You do want a VAG-COM, though, if you're going to be doing the repair and maintenance on your car.

Last edited:

therabbittree

Veteran Member
TDI
The Scan guage seems to hook into the obd II port.. so you drive around with the port connected at all times or what?.. seems like you can't drive with the scan gauage and vag com connected at eth same time... etc ..any more info with the B4 TDI and the Scan Gauge?
thanks
Deo