lifespan of alternator?

mike944

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta
Hey everybody,

I hardly ever hear of anyone with alternator problems. Do these cars really not have issues with this, or people just don't talk about it? Most other cars need alternators replaced somewhere between 120 - 175K

I'm trying to get an idea how long the stock VW alternator lasts in the TDI. I don't like being stranded. I would rather replace things on a "preventative" basis. I'm planning to keep my car until around 300K, when should i change the alternator? (i'd like to change it BEFORE it fails) Am i crazy for considering this?

So, who's had alternator failures, and at what mileage?

turkeyssr

TDI
none; as of 12/09/06
mike944 said:
So, who's had alternator failures, and at what mileage?
No failure yet, besides the alternator pulley, but the brushes at 70k miles looked okay. I'm thinking the could last at least another 50k miles. When I get to around 120k, maybe I'll take it off and check again.

lrpavlo

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Sportwagen DSG, 02 NB Auto
I've replaced 2 so far....Don't remember mileage....@150K IIRC. Both were due to diode pack being bad.

Reactions: kmi

mike944

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta
lrpavlo - you mean you replaced one with a bad diode pack at 150K, and the replacement also had a bad diode pack?

I have 125K on my car. No issues so far, but getting close to typical replacement intervals for most automotive alternators.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Seen more bearing and/or pulley failures than charging failures. I'd rate the Bosch unit as not quite as good as a Denso, but far better than anything GM has ever had save for some newer cars that use Bosch or Denso.

The Valeo VW alternators are not as good as the Bosch, don't really know about the Hitachis yet.

Either way, they are not a high-failure item.

ben stevens

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta
pulley failure

the pulley failed at 120,000. alternator was fine and someone else is probably using it, as it was returned to bosch as a core. i would still be using it if i knew then of the ability of renewing the pulley.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I had the alternator pulley bearings go out at 78k miles, and then the alternator itself needed to be replaced at 180k miles. I am not exactly sure what happened there -- something froze up, after some very bad noises for about five miles of driving, and I could not restart the engine. When it was all put back together, my service advisor was gone for the day, and the old alternator was not returned (core deposit). I'm just guessing that something that was supposed to rotate freely just stopped rotating.

My general opinion is that the pulley bearings are a common problem, but my other predicament with the alternator was an anomaly.

lrpavlo

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Sportwagen DSG, 02 NB Auto
mike944 said:
lrpavlo - you mean you replaced one with a bad diode pack at 150K, and the replacement also had a bad diode pack?

I have 125K on my car. No issues so far, but getting close to typical replacement intervals for most automotive alternators.
Two different TDI's have had bad diode packs. One was a 99 Beetle and one was a 99.5 Golf

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
My first thought was, "how did this mk4 thread get so many replies before I had a chance to read it once." Then realized the date, as mentioned. ZOMBIESSSS!!

Just to add to the content, I replaced mine 30k ago, around 270,000miles is when it went out. After sitting for a year(2017) or so, then died after about 1000 miles. It would blink intermittently, then stay off for a lot of miles, then come back, it let me know it was going out.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

~TDIguy~

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Sedan
Way to bring threads back from the dead!! Mine went maybe 20k miles ago at 150k something as i remember... Suddenly just died! I was in a crunch so i had the local shop swap it out and they took the old one for the core, so i never did find out what was wrong.. Im motoring happily along now again!

mk3

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta GLS 5-speed
I am at 308k miles with the original alternator, ! however !

I have replaced the clutched pulley - a long time ago

I replaced the brush/regulator unit 1 year ago and at this point - probably should have changed it out but I was lazy and it was cold outside : O

I replaced the wire harness just last week because a termination near the fuse box went bad (fuse did not open) and the fuse box started melting and the battery was not charging

short story - above 200k it would be wise preventive maintenance to replace the harness and the alternator with the caveat - how do you find a good replacement alternator that is not worse than the one you are removing?

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
short story - above 200k it would be wise preventive maintenance to replace the harness and the alternator with the caveat - how do you find a good replacement alternator that is not worse than the one you are removing?
Maybe pull down yours and just change the brushes and clutch pulley? Those are the biggest wear items and easy to change on a bench. Then eventually once you start hearing bearing noise get a Bosch rebuilt unit.

kreibach

Veteran Member
TDI
sold my 03 :-(
I replaced the pulley at about 200k miles and the whole alternator at 310k miles when the rear bearing shreaded. Popped a new alternator in and it's going fine at +10K. I wouldn't do it as preventative maintenance personally.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Seems the OE Alt on my 2000 Jetta made it to about 300k before having to install a new brush set (which includes the regulator)... otherwise everything else is at +370k (two pulleys, maybe on the 3rd). (son owns it now)

Fahrvegnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
01 golf 1.9 alh gls silver
Replaced pulley at 150k, within 5k miles a scraping grinding metal sound I thought was the timing belt turned out to be a failing alternator. Took it out and saw the pulley still worked properly so replaced the whole thing.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Just over 200K miles (310K km) on the Jetta wagon and it just locked up on me - alternator belt locked up and wouldn't allow the engine to turn over. The bad news: I was almost 10 hours from home; the good news: I was in Portland, where there's CascadeGerman.com and more than a couple gurus to help me get going again within a couple days.

(oldpoopie said the alternator was just totally frozen, like a bearing had gone bad and locked up the shaft - needed a full alternator replacement.)

On my 2002 Golf, the alternator (seemed more like the regulator, as the alternator bench-tested OK) went around the same mileage - just over 315K km.

BeetleDragon737

TDI
'99.0 New Beetle
At 177k miles, my alternator stopped charging my battery. Nothing mechanical was wrong with it, but I took it to Autozone and after testing, they confirmed the thing was totally shot.

Replaced it and everything's been great since.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Jus have one of them deer bite 'em ;)

Cleenlivin

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan (DSG) boughtback, 2004 Jetta TDI Sedan (Tiptronic), 2004 Jetta TDI Sedan (5 speed)
I had one last about 230k miles. After I replaced the pulley at 220k, the bearings finally went at 230k.