Flashing Glow Plug light/Brake switch troubleshoot

IowaStater

TDI
Jetta, 2001, Galaxy Blue
Firstly, I don’t have a VAG-COM or immediate access to one. I’m three hours away from a dealer or anyone I know with one.

Secondly, I’m sure this problem has been solved for a hundred other people, but thanks in advance for the help.

Driving home today I had the blinking glow plug light come on. I figured it was just burnt out bulbs so I just kept driving. I knew however that at least the day before I’d had all four bulbs so I checked my cruise control, it worked. When I got home I checked and sure enough my tail lights weren’t lighting when I stepped on the break. However, all the bulbs are good, none are burnt out. Reverse light works, and the small bulb in the center lights when headlights are turned on.

I’m assuming at this point that this is a brake switch malfunction. My questions are<ul type="square">
[*]How can I be relatively sure it’s the break switch?
[*]Do I need to take anything to the dealer to have it fixed under the recall?
[*]Are there any other likely causes? [/list]
And lastly, I’ve read that this indicator may also be tripped by a boost problem. Is there any reason not to drive until I can’t figure this out (other then the danger of not having brake lights)?

Thank you in advance for any help

rmarkw

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle, 2000, Blue
I'd guess you checked the fuse? If so probably the relay. You shouldn't have to take any paper work or anything else to the dealership. Just let them know you are aware of the recall.

IowaStater

TDI
Jetta, 2001, Galaxy Blue
I couldn’t find any fuses that were blown. But I may not have checked the right one; there isn’t really a pictograph on the fuse diagram that really looks like tail lights to me. Can anyone tell me which fuse number it is, just to be sure?

Also where is the break switch/relay located, and what does it look like. If it’s readily accessible it seems like it would just be easier to pop it out and take a meter to it. I was under the impression that a bad break switch would disrupt cruise control, where as mine works. Are there some situations in which this happens?

As always any other suggestions are greatly welcomed.