2014 sportwagon tdi no heat again!

Prairie golf

TDI
2014 golf wolfsburg wagon
So I have no heat again. I have a 14 tdi sportwagon. Started having problems a while back. The issue was the car would reach operating temp according to the gauge in the car but I would get no heat at all. Took it to the dealer they had it for about 10 days. Said the problem was a blending door motor. They said everything else was ok. They changed the motor. The heats been ok since untill this am. The car was plugged in over night as it was -30c last night. Started no problem started driving the temp came up pretty quick and if had no heat. After driving for a while I could see my temp guage start to drop and I started to get heat. I'm stumped. Is there a bypass valve for the heater core or something. Also could feel any heat from the electric booster element. Any help would be great

kevin_in_idaho

Veteran Member
TDI
Returned 2012 Sportwagen DSG Pano White
I have this problem too and so have others. I've found that if I turn the heat temp knob back and forth from the max setting, that solves the problem. Apparently there is a TSB for this but my "dealer" wouldn't check it as my car was 1 week out of warrantee when I got it and I wasn't going to pay for it.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
Kevin, call VWoA they will probably help. I have had good luck with my car that was out of time on warranty ,but not by mileage. Worth a try.

MontrealTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf Wagon TDI w/DSG
EDIT: Failed at reading comprehension, Kevin is indeed in the US. I thought you were talking to OP

Last edited:

Prairie golf

TDI
I'll look at my paperwork from the dealer but I would assume that since they just changed the blend motor and had to change a faulty instrument cluster they would have done any and all tsb's. If I change from full heat to cooler I can hear the blend gate moving I think. Just kinda pusses me off

MontrealTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf Wagon TDI w/DSG
yes, the fact that they recently performed a repair that did not fix the problem means that you should not be charged for the TSB in my opinion.

Prairie golf

TDI
I was never charged anything. Still under warranty. I only have 10k on the car. Repairs were done at 8k only seems to do this at extreme cold temps

Pauly_Walnuts

TDI
2014 Golf Sportwagen
Hey there I just had the same problem on my 2014 golf sportwagen. I brought the car to the dealer with nothing working they looked at it, saw nothing was working kept the car over night and said it needs a blower motor. I went to pick up the car today and they said that everything worked fine today and they replaced the blower motor just because. Kinda left me confused.

kevin_in_idaho

Veteran Member
TDI
Returned 2012 Sportwagen DSG Pano White
When I took my car in, they told me that they don't search the tsb database to fix things unless you are experiencing some issue. So, when I went in with some tsb's that I wanted them to do, they wouldn't do it. I am not impressed with the local (only) VW dealer but may try the call to VWoA when I get home. On a month long trip to NZ.

S2000_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
TSBs are not recalls. You're not entitled to service just because you own a car covered by a TSB. A TSB alerts dealers to problems that MAY occur and instructs them how to diagnose/fix the problem. If your car has the problem, they fix it. If the car is out of warranty, they typically charge for the repair.

That's true at all dealers for all makes.

Prairie golf

TDI
So this is where my car sits. The dealerships head technician took my car for the weekend to see if he could duplicate the problem and my car was acting up. But they can't fix it. They don't know what's wrong. My service advisor tells me they have two other customers with the same problem. Vw canada is sending an engineer this week to look at the cars. They can't tell me when just some time this week, but not to worry since they gave me a loaner car, then I tell him the loaner car has the same problem. Great job Volkswagen

n8tgc

TDI
2013 Jetta SportWagen TDI DSG
Been dealing with VW US Customer Service regarding my 2013 SportWagen and chilly cabin temps with single digit or sub-zero temps. Dealer says everything is fine. Yet even with a 45 mile commute I can't melt ice off windshield. Until now...

Solution? Grille cover! Works GREAT.

http://idparts.com/

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT

Prairie golf

TDI
The tsb info would be great. Maybe I need to clarify my original post. 95% of the time the heat is ok. I do have a winter front on the car and it does heat up fairly quickly. Now this is where I've had problems when the car is plugged in over night because it cold here I have problems sometimes. Only when the temps are -25c and colder I start the car and drive it the temp guage will reach operating temp fairly quickly but I have no heat at all. I continue to drive and after about 5 miles of driving the temp guage starts to drop almost to zero and the heat starts to come. This is what's not making sense. I talked to the dealer today and they told me mine isn't the only car with this problem. Every car that has this problem has a dsg and has had the vw block heater recall up date done. Also found out that they were getting an engine temp sensor fault code but the sensor tests ok. They had a vw engineer there the last few days working with them on this and he said to replace the sensor and wiring to the ecu. Don't know how that will help

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
TSB Info...

Here's the info a directly from erWin:

Technical Service Bulletin
Transaction No.: 2028678/1
87-12-02 Update Programming Climate Control Software Update
Release date: Feb 13, 2012

Tip:
This technical bulletin only supports vehicles with “KH6” P.R. code.

Customer may complain that heater is not blowing hot enough, even with heater control set to MAX heat
position, especially after vehicle sits overnight, or for long periods of time. Customer may also state that
heat will temporarily return once they manipulate the heater control knob.

VIN Range: All
Tiguan 2011-2012
Golf/GTI 2011-2012
Jetta SportWagen 2011-2012
CC 2012

clacker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Wagon TDI DSG Trendline, 2000 Jetta TDI auto, 2008 Mercedes R320, 2006 smart fortwo cdi
Here is what I have noticed, 2014 Golf wagon Highline with climatronic
Car sits plugged in over night, -30C. Car starts, I let it idle one minute (seatbelt, turn on lights and radio, heater etc). I drive very slow on a dead end rural road for 3kms, then I turn onto a highway with a low speed limit (50km/h), 8 minutes later with the car at operating temp I will hear a double click from a relay near the drivers footwell, the temp needle will drop from 90C to two bars down, and I will suddenly get full heat, very little to no heat before that (my fingers will be turning white inside my gloves!). I have a grill block installed, it has nothing to do with the engine warming up, this is an electronic issue with the climatronic not opening the heater core valve. It is purely electrical, happened two days in a row with my car (it was likely happening more before, I just didn't notice but I did hear the double click of the relay before!). It didn't matter what setting I had the climatronic on nothing changed. What I noticed each time is a rolling stop followed by an acceleration seemed to wake it up. I have not had a chance to stop in at the dealer I am in the middle of my work time with events all over and competitions to coach, my dead season is soon and lots to be dealt with. I hate this climatronic, it is terrible-too cold, then too hot and no way to have half heat like a manual system just either extreme!

Prairie golf

TDI
Sounds like the same thing mine is doing. I told the dealer about hearing a relay clicking. I have heard it before. The dealer kind of blew me off. Sorry your having the same problems but glad it's not just me. I have had the climatic screen freeze up on me once or twice. The dealer told me they can do that in the extreme cold. Very frustrating

RomanL

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 GOLF TDI
Hey guys i have a different but somewhat related issue when its cold outside:

Driver side of the car gets HEAT no problem, but Passenger side stays COLD. (this extends to floor vents for back seats as well)
it's literally as if line has been drawn down the middle of the car and Passenger side gets NO HEAT.

my mechanic (independent shop) couldnt figure it out by just running VAG COM diagnostics.
any ideas? thanks

Prairie golf

TDI
So this where I sit as if today. My dealers service manager called me today and said that the engine temp sensor and wiring overlay that was recommended by the vw engineer that looked at my vehicle did not work. They told me their next step is to remove the heater core and loop in clear hose to see how the coolant is flowing. If the coolant is good they are going to replace the heatercore. If not then they will look at the water pump. What I don't understand is I only have this problem in extreme cold not all the time. This car has been a true nightmare. I've had the car for 5 months and it's been in the shop for 30 days already. Had a recall done on the block heater, blend door motor replaced and an instrument cluster replaced already. And still no heat.

clacker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Wagon TDI DSG Trendline, 2000 Jetta TDI auto, 2008 Mercedes R320, 2006 smart fortwo cdi
So what is the relay that clicks then gives heat? I think they really misunderstand the problem, the climatronic is not opening the heater core valve (or blend door or what ever is there). I mean it could be a coolant flow or air lock situation (hence the temp change on the gage when it does give heat), but why a click then heat? Unless the heater core is one unit with valve...
I know it can be a challenge dealing with problems at certain dealers, warranty will only pay out so much so you end up in the middle.
I am doing my first service this afternoon, will look and see what controls the heat if I can see anything!

Prairie golf

TDI
If be interested to know what they say. My understanding is that there is no valve on the heater core just straight through. The elctric supplemental heat is controlled by engine temp. It comes on if the temp is below 170. Either way it sucks.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Hey guys i have a different but somewhat related issue when its cold outside:

Driver side of the car gets HEAT no problem, but Passenger side stays COLD. (this extends to floor vents for back seats as well)
it's literally as if line has been drawn down the middle of the car and Passenger side gets NO HEAT.

my mechanic (independent shop) couldnt figure it out by just running VAG COM diagnostics.
any ideas? thanks
Check to ensure the cabin filter is properly installed. I recall a similar situation from another member here. They found the issue was the filter was crammed in the slot. Installed a replacement and all was good afterwards.

Prairie golf

TDI
Talked to my dealership today. They still don't know what's wrong but they did inform me that they have heard from vw that there are other vehicles at least in canada that are experiencing the same thing. Vw engineers in Germany are trying to figure it out. Not sure about that one.

Prairie golf

TDI
So the saga continues! Dealership phones me today and after checking my car with the heater cor looped out they tell me there is little flow through that circuit. Now VW tech tells them to change out the thermostat and waterpump. Really does nobody have any diagnostic skills anymore. Or are the dealership mechanics just part changers and hope for best. I'm about to give up

clacker

Veteran Member
TDI
Parts changers but that is standard across the board not just VW.
I did not see anything under the hood for a heater core flow circuit valve. It could be a weird thermostat or air lock, even a poorly cast part with restriction. I will look under the dash once it warms up a bit, just too cold and windy around here to work on the car, the oil service was bad enough.
I know of another car with the same problem I will see them on the weekend and ask for more info on what their dealer did (3-4 trips to fix).

Pauly_Walnuts

TDI
2014 Golf Sportwagen
I too have always wondered what the clicking was coming from around my headlight switch?

Prairie golf

TDI
Got my car back Friday they said its good to go. They change tstat and waterpump I guess I'll have to wait till next winter as it's warm here now, don't know if I trust them a whole lot as I have to go back today because when it was there they repaired my rear bumper for an insurance claim and the red doesn't match. Also I saw moisture in the rear tailight

clacker

Veteran Member
TDI
Any updates to this? I have had no luck with local dealer, and today the problem is starting up again with temps dropping below -20C. Always the same situation, engine gets up to temp but no heat in the cabin, slow down/stop and then a "click" with lots of heat suddenly and a major temperature drop on the coolant gauge.